The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

• RMweb Premium

come on give the guy a chance, look at the injuries in that squad if Carol was fit they'd by half way up the table. If he wasn't there as manager and the team were in the same position most people would be saying that he would be the man to keep them up. Its always the managers who gets the blame when most of the time its the players not pulling their weight. Also think the supporters at West Ham are not producing the right atmosphere to spur the team on , what happened to real supporters!!!!!!!!!!!

My comments are not just based on this season. I agree the lack of Carroll has had an effect, but the team should be more than one player. I'm afraid Allardyce is a very ordinary manager, whose teams play ordinary football...

• RMweb Premium

Surely West Ham United are too good to be relegated.

In the absence of crock Carroll,  Allardyce should convince Carlton Cole that all West Ham matches take place on Boxing Day to boost the goal tally.

No team is too good to be relegated I'm afraid - as a Hammers fan of many years, well do I remember when we went down despite having (on paper) a strong squad including several either full or u21 internationals. Unless West Ham can turn their season around pretty quick, they're heading for a return to the Championship and a long hard slog chasing promotion before they move to the Olympic Stadium.

I was at the Arsenal game on Boxing Day and just couldn't believe how they sat back and gave Arsenal so many attacking opportunities (after missing a couple of good chances to extend their lead). Carlton played well enough but IMHO he just isn't good enough - he has a great attitude and effort but the occasional goal just isn't enough.

I like to see a traditional British style centre-forward and really rate Carroll, but after being injured for so long I can't help but wonder if he'll ever be as good as he was at the end of last season.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Both recognised central defenders are crocked, Collins against Arsenal and Tomkins yesterday after 15 minutes. We played with a back four who are all full backs. In our previous games we've not had too bad a record for the defence, whilst not scoring many. Now we've limited options in attack and defence. The other relegation candidates are looking better under new managers, whilst we are slipping backwards.

It doesn't look good.  :help:

Rob

• RMweb Gold

Very disappointed on Boxing Day. With close rivals playing each other (Man C vs the other lot), we should have progressed - but got beaten at home by Sunderland!

Hopefully today we can put it right against Southampton while the other lot are at Stamford Bridge.

• RMweb Premium

Very disappointed on Boxing Day. With close rivals playing each other (Man C vs the other lot), we should have progressed - but got beaten at home by Sunderland!

Hopefully today we can put it right against Southampton while the other lot are at Stamford Bridge.

So you must be happy with those outcomes? Great to see Chelsea actually do well!

• RMweb Gold

So you must be happy with those outcomes? Great to see Chelsea actually do well!

Happy enough. Sometimes, it's a bit of a conundrum in a League situation. With Chelsea beating "them", we move to fourth - which is good. But, at the end of the season, it might actually be better if they had drawn. Certainly the case if we had had the three points against Sunderland.

Similarly, the draw we got at The Emirates actually helped "them" go top - which can't be a good thing.

Great finish by a Chelsea forward yesterday for the winning goal (against Southampton).

Surely West Ham United are too good to be relegated.

In the absence of crock Carroll,  Allardyce should convince Carlton Cole that all West Ham matches take place on Boxing Day to boost the goal tally.

I thought the squad we had at Loftus Road last year was too good to go down, but Oh how wrong can you be. :rolleyes:

Then in August 2013 I thought in Harry we must believe, promotion is a cert with the squad we have. Then came Xmas and I have to say I am having real doubts about Santa Claus :help:  it's looking doubtful for the play offs unless we can get a Crouchie or a Defoe in during January. :superman:

I thought the squad we had at Loftus Road last year was too good to go down, but Oh how wrong can you be. :rolleyes:

Then in August 2013 I thought in Harry we must believe, promotion is a cert with the squad we have. Then came Xmas and I have to say I am having real doubts about Santa Claus :help:  it's looking doubtful for the play offs unless we can get a Crouchie or a Defoe in during January. :superman:

I should have put a smiley after "West Ham United are too good to be relegated", mind you I have to say I was quite pleased with our (Leicester's) "smash and grab" raid at Loftus Road earlier in the month.

It could have gone horribly wrong if QPR had converted their chances - Bolton showed how it's done by scoring three times in 25 minutes against us the other day - a good job we scored  five and could have had seven. :sungum:

Of course it could all change when we play Derby in our next home match,, although I suppose their "charge" has to end eventually. Fingers crossed.

Edited by cary hill

• RMweb Gold

Great finish by a Chelsea forward yesterday for the winning goal (against Southampton).

As a Chelsea fan it's great to see how well our youth development policy is working out, not so great to see the effects on Merseyside instead of Stamford Bridge

I should have put a smiley after "West Ham United are too good to be relegated", mind you I have to say I was quite pleased with our (Leicester's) "smash and grab" raid at Loftus Road earlier in the month.

It could have gone horribly wrong if QPR had converted their chances - Bolton showed how it's done by scoring three times in 25 minutes against us the other day - a good job we scored  five and could have had seven. :sungum:

Of course it could all change when we play Derby in our next home match,, although I suppose their "charge" has to end eventually. Fingers crossed.

Good to see you well and truly put the mockers on Derby County today. There charge got derailed by Wigan. Mind you another three points for the "Foxes" in the "Lions Den" today, whilst we stuttered to an injury time win at home to Donny.

Could you make some comment to the effect that Q.P.R's lack of goals must come to an end in their next championship game., Please  --- Pretty Please.

Regards, Del & Harry's Dog.

• RMweb Gold

FA cup third round weekend.Sometimes premier league managers get my goat and this time it's Lambert at the Villa who says they could do without the FA cup.A lot of lower league clubs enjoy their day in the sun and extra money by beating higher ranked opponents,I know  because I've been on the end of it but my answer to the big boys who think they're too good and field weakened sides etc is..

Don't enter the bl**dy competition then. :banghead:

FA cup third round weekend.Sometimes premier league managers get my goat and this time it's Lambert at the Villa who says they could do without the FA cup.A lot of lower league clubs enjoy their day in the sun and extra money by beating higher ranked opponents,I know  because I've been on the end of it but my answer to the big boys who think they're too good and field weakened sides etc is..

Don't enter the bl**dy competition then. :banghead:

I think the problem with winning the F.A.Cup for a lot of "lesser" Premiership Clubs is the "prize" of entry into Europa League, which often seems to mess up the following season, with it's tiring away trips to the Urals or similar armpits of the world on a Thursday, followed by Chelsea, Man City and their like away on the Sunday.

• RMweb Gold

I think the problem with winning the F.A.Cup for a lot of "lesser" Premiership Clubs is the "prize" of entry into Europa League, which often seems to mess up the following season, with it's tiring away trips to the Urals or similar armpits of the world on a Thursday, followed by Chelsea, Man City and their like away on the Sunday.

Yes the hardship of the millions they make from it.Bring back the UEFA cup.

Ah yes those were the days - stinking UEFA cup draws both times for Leicester City - Athletico Madrid and Red Star Belgrade (when they were still a good team despite NATO bombing them). I don't think we made millions though, due to early exits both times. Poor old Gary Parker got sent off against Athletico Madrid for taking a free kick too quickly in the return home leg v. Athletico Madrid and it still looks ridiculous on You Tube years later. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ah yes those were the days - stinking UEFA cup draws both times for Leicester City - Athletico Madrid and Red Star Belgrade (when they were still a good team despite NATO bombing them). I don't think we made millions though, due to early exits both times. Poor old Gary Parker got sent off against Athletico Madrid for taking a free kick too quickly in the return home leg v. Athletico Madrid and it still looks ridiculous on You Tube years later. 

I've never seen my City in Europe. We were banned thanks to Thatcher and Liverpool in '87 and I'm far too young to remember us playing Bayern Munich in the Fairs Cup in the early 70s. ;)

It's not that much though. Even if a team started in the first preliminary round, and won every match to win the Europa League, the prize money is still under €10million.

You can't even get Andy Carroll for that :mosking:

Edited by Del

It's not that much though. Even if a team started in the first preliminary round, and won every match to win the Europa League, the prize money is still under €10million.

You can't even get Andy Carroll for that :mosking:

Spot on when Chelsea won it they got about 10 million euros, not even the biggest payout that year, Fenerbahce actually got more with 11million plus. 

That's why the Europa League is very much the poor relation, the money from the Premier League is what it's all about at the bottom end, win a few bob for the FA Cup or stay on the gravy train, might not suit the fans but it suits the club owners.

• RMweb Premium

Well the other option is to be like Arsenal and not win anything for several years on the trot!

:jester:

Well the other option is to be like Arsenal and not win anything for several years on the trot!

:jester:

At least, to his credit, Wenger seems "up for the Cup", but the odds are Arsenal will also qualify for the Champions League again. So if they won the F.A. Cup the losing Finalists would have the pleasure of competing in the Europa League.

Edited by cary hill