The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

DOGSO??? huh.gif huh.gif - the mind boggles!

Denying an Obvious Goal Scoring Opportunity.

I took a coaching course with this chap, no idea what he was thinking. He'd been involved in a meaningless bit of handbags earlier on that got him and the other player a chewing out. We came out for the second half and I asked him to keep his head in the game, then he gets himself sent off with a stupid "professional" foul.

"I just did what I had to do" Yes, maybe you did, now I'm doing what I have to do, bye. I can't remember the last player I sent off, but he had to go. He went without much ado, and his teammates knew it was the right decision, no complaints from them.

The one I like, and we don't use it over here, is OFFINABUS (Offensive Insulting Abusive language). Here it's just AL Abusive Language. DOGSO actually just gets written up as DGF.

• Like 1

As an almost lifelong Spurs fan (well since I was 9 in 1976 :( ) its reassuring to see that the old traditions at The Lane still live on. Once again we find ourselves in the situation of having to play the matches of our lives to remain in the position that we have been in for the vast majority of the season.

Even if we are beating Man City 5-0 with 1 minute to go I still won't trust them not to throw it away- it's happened too many times for comfort. I said to someone at work that we would lose to Portsmouth (as we did to Wolves and Stoke- and boy did I get stick for that from the inmates) then beat Arsenal and Chelsea... But overall it's been a good season so well done to the lads.

All I can say to the rest of the Premier League for next season is forget those sky blue upstarts from Manchester, look out for the Spurs- the year ends in 1 and we all know what happens then. :D

I can tell you now, City will beat Spurs 2-1. That will mean City 2 points infront with a game to go. West ham will draw with City and Spurs Beat Burnley, meaning we will miss out on Champions league by the goal difference of 1......Its the Spurs way you see....

All I can say to the rest of the Premier League for next season is forget those sky blue upstarts from Manchester, look out for the Spurs- the year ends in 1 and we all know what happens then. biggrin.gif

You get beaten by United home and away.............? smile.gif Pretty much the same as every other yearsmile.gif

All the best against city, and before any of the 'lazer blues' start......you wouldn't want it any other way, seeing as you're now possibly our only credible 'traditional' rival, what with Liverpool now being seemingly on the slide and Leeds in division 3 north or some such distant leaguesmile.gif .

Looks like Chelsea's title and fair play to them if that's the case, but please no more of this 'our trophy's coming home' from some of the neveux Chelsea fans, Sunderland have won it more wink.gif

I was a bit nervous before yesterday's game against Liverpool, but watched the second half, and without fear or favour, I can say that only one team was going to win. A workmanlike, rather than spectacular, performance from Chelsea. I think next week will be better - I might even pop down to the bookies and put money on the Blues to beat Wigan 5-0, as that would bring the tall to 100 league goals for the season! Shouldn't push my luck, should I? 1-0 will do fine...

Rottingdean Village 2 - Ifield Edwards 2

Sussex County League Division Three

Nice little venue this - fully railed, and the tinest amount of cover (complete with bench seats!) for about 6, looked like an old dugout - my first visit here. What was immediatley noticeable was that the wind would have an impact - blustery, and when it started raining early in the first half, none too pleasant either. On the pitch, Ifield took the lead through Ricky Mitchell, a powerful header off the underside of the bar, before Nick Pollard levelled with a header from a corner. When it did stop raining, it was actually quite a nice day - although the wind was ever-present! Mitchell then cracked a shot against the angle of post and bar - it might have crept in on a still day. After the break, whilst Ifield played the better football on the floor, Rottingdean's direct balls forward were the more effective, although home 10 Povis had a bit of a mare - sent clean through twice in the first half, once shanking well wide and over, and secondly shooting straight at the 'keeper. Rottingdean's second was certainly helped by the wind, although the quite impressive Mitchell did well to wrap his foot around the ball and curl home from an acute angle. It should have been three soon after - Povis again sent clear, this chance the best of the lot, only to shoot the wrong side of the post. Those missed chances came back to haunt the hosts though - 2 minutes from time, another corner, and another goal for Ifield, making it 2-2 and ending an even contest in which the visitors played the best football, but never looked like scoring, whilst the hosts created plenty, but without much finesse.

Another game was about to start as I left, but decided not to stay - That was the starter - it was then on to the main course - via an extended stay in Woodingdean where I stopped for fuel, only to realise I'd left my card back in Hailsham...

An hour or so later (and some determined driving), I turned up at;

Brighton & Hove Albion Reserves 4 - Bognor Regis Town 0

Sussex Senior Cup Final @ Priory Lane, Eastbourne Borough FC

Attendance; 605 Official

Brighton Goalscorers;

J Caskey 22, 39

S Brinkhurst 67

G Barker 73

With the weather rapidly shifting from pleasant to decidedly chilly, throughout the game, this wasn't bad as a showpiece. The Seagulls, with Adam Virgo and Dean Cox in a side comprising a lot of youth, took the lead on 22 when Jake Caskey, the highly rated young midfielder (son of Darren, step-son of Nicky Forster), broke through to finish well from the edge of the box. Caskey's second was another placed effort after excellent work from Dean Cox, who may have impressed any scouts watching today - he, like Virgo, is out of contract and not getting a new deal. Bognor's fans were certainly loud, but had little to shout about, other than a possible penalty appeal, before Albion made it three in the second half when Brinkhurst gambled correctly - a 'keeping error, and the young winger in the right place to slot home. The impressive Jamie Smith departed soon after - with Caskey, he ran the show in midfield - but there was still time for a fourth, George Barker's placed effort a reward for his tireless running. Bognor created a few chances of their own - the best coming just before Barker's goal when a corner was powerfully headed against the bar, although Mitchell Walker in the Seagulls goal was always comfortable when called upon, and looks a decent prospect. The Young Seagulls always looked comfortable though, and it was a deserved win for a side who simply passed Bognor off the park - always calm and collected in possession, and worked hard to regain it when Bognor took over. Pleased for Charlie Oatway, one of my heroes as a player, and a trophy in his debut season as Reserve Manager.

Next up; The (hopefully), 'delicious pudding' - certainly the one I've been looking forward to all day - Hailsham Town v Mile Oak, Kick Off 7.30PM.

• Like 1

Denying an Obvious Goal Scoring Opportunity.

I took a coaching course with this chap, no idea what he was thinking. He'd been involved in a meaningless bit of handbags earlier on that got him and the other player a chewing out. We came out for the second half and I asked him to keep his head in the game, then he gets himself sent off with a stupid "professional" foul.

"I just did what I had to do" Yes, maybe you did, now I'm doing what I have to do, bye. I can't remember the last player I sent off, but he had to go. He went without much ado, and his teammates knew it was the right decision, no complaints from them.

The one I like, and we don't use it over here, is OFFINABUS (Offensive Insulting Abusive language). Here it's just AL Abusive Language. DOGSO actually just gets written up as DGF.

You had one assistant, you lucky b****r! I've recently had two (junior) semi-finals; although I should have had assistants, in both cases I was on my own, even the team managers were a bit peeved. Luckily nothing controversial happened.

Funny you should mentioned Offinabus; on my report cards, that's how that sending-off is given.

Hailsham Town 1 - Mile Oak 1

Sussex County One

Stringers Goalscorer; Ben Putland (19)

Bit of a scrappy, end of season affair this - the ball spent plenty of time in the air early on, before Ben Putland scored his 7th in Hailsham colours in the 19th minute with a terrific turn and shot. Mile Oak levelled 10 minutes later - a deflected cross tapped in from close range. Hailsham would then hit the underside of the bar as the first half petered out. After the break Mile Oak certainly pressed - Jenner making two terrific saves, whilst Harris saw a drilled effort cleared at the other end. Right at the death, sub Mike Taylor could have won it for the hosts - a rocket of a shot brilliantly tipped wide - but it would have been harsh on Mile Oak. Game livened up in the second period, but as I said, not the best.

Terrific performance from Spurs tonight! Will be great to see them back in the Champions League.

Can't believe I was only 14 and still at school when I saw the Benfica game back in '62....

Downed in few pints since that time...cool.gif

Oh well i was wrong, Spurs won, 4th guaranteed, Neve thought i would see the day !!!! Yes I am VERY happy. Comiseration to City, i am sure their day will come as they have the backing to make it big, and it will be a change to see a different club in the Champions League. Just hope we qualify......well this is Spurs you see. smile.gif

You had one assistant, you lucky b****r! I've recently had two (junior) semi-finals; although I should have had assistants, in both cases I was on my own, even the team managers were a bit peeved. Luckily nothing controversial happened.

Funny you should mentioned Offinabus; on my report cards, that's how that sending-off is given.

Technically, all matches played under US Soccer Federation jurisdiction should have three officials, even if you end up using club ARs, which I did on Sunday. The intention is that all O-30 matches and the top two divisions in O-40 have three certified refs, the O-40 third division and O-48 matches just get one. But we don't have enough refs, so it doesn't always work out that way.

Oddly enough, the chap who had been assigned as the other AR ended up in the middle of my women's match. I asked him how come he'd turned the morning match down, he said something about not wanting two matches in one day. Then he went on a rant about how the assignor wasn't helping him get a match for an assessment. Umm, if you turn stuff back, you aren't helping yourself, the system allows you to block dates off and you should do that rather than turn games back. I am an assignor and know what a hassle that ends up being.

Finding club ARs in the men's league is a nuisance, there's seldom any spectators at these games, managers don't want to do it because it interferes with their work, players won't do it because they'll never get in the match once they have a flag shoved in their hands. They don't trust each other anyway, so it just causes arguments.

Isn't reffing fun?

I'm still shocked by The Mighty Men winning. I was driving home from work listening to the second half on the radio and when Crouchie scored nearly crashed the car on a mini roundabout. It has been commented at work today that I have lost my voice- can't think why. And Stoke won too- that's a good proportion of my current 'customers' happy then! Well done to Harry and the lads- Dawson, King, Crouchie and Jermain D have to go to the World Cup. :P

Remember Spurs fans- next season ends in a one and we all know what that means for the Spurs- a trophy!

Now please sack benitez -fed up now

Now he is saying no-one at the club is asking him to stay- you signed a 5 year deal last year 4 years left to run so why do they need to ask?

No strikers due to injury- well who sold them all?

No quality in the final 3rd or anywhere- why play mascherano at right back with deggen on the bench!

Well done fulham hope Roy wins it he deserves it. In a way glad we never did it as it would gloss over a poor season.

Come on blackpool (and fleetwood)

mark

now sick of saying maybe next year!

Thanks for those kind remarks at the end of your posting re: the Seasiders & Cod Squad. I was quite fatalistic last weekend (I've been watching the 'Pool since our last season in the top division so I generally expect the worst. Prem fans won't know misery til they've spent 4 decades in the lower echelons). Ollie's Army has surprised everyone this season, including themselves I suspect. Whether we can do the quadruple over Forest remains to be seen, starting tommorrow. Whatever the outcome, we've had our best season since the early '70s & if it ends in disappointment here, at the City ground or at Wem-ber-ley, I hope we don't lose our momentum or, God forbid, sack Holloway like they did Big Sam after getting the Tangerine Machine to its best league pos in donkey's. Speaking of which, our local rivals PNE like to refer to us as 'Donkey Lashers'. Our reposte, probably not permitted under RMWeb decency rules, is a witty play on 'North Ender' requiring no alteration to the second word, & only a little to the first. Pedants might insist on the addition of the letter K at the beginning.

If the impossible dream should come true, BFC are uniquely well-placed, not being saddled with debt, to reinvest the Prem Millions even if they go like the Dingles & drop back down after 1 season. They could finish the ground & strengthen the squad for another tilt at the big time. It might take several yo-yo seasons before they were an established Prem outfit, but they might do it eventually.... & then I woke up! As Tom Waits put it: 'You're innocent when you dream!'

Come on you Pooooool!

I'm still shocked by The Mighty Men winning. I was driving home from work listening to the second half on the radio and when Crouchie scored nearly crashed the car on a mini roundabout. It has been commented at work today that I have lost my voice- can't think why. And Stoke won too- that's a good proportion of my current 'customers' happy then! Well done to Harry and the lads- Dawson, King, Crouchie and Jermain D have to go to the World Cup. tongue.gif

Remember Spurs fans- next season ends in a one and we all know what that means for the Spurs- a trophy!

Totally deserved Natalie. Spurs emphasis is on the team rather than the individuals. Man City are the opposite at the moment but if they stabilise (keep Mancini and the squad intact plus enhancements) they will be a threat next season. As for Spurs, well I think this is the birth of the 'big five' (or 'big 6'six' if City do improve on this season).

Agree that Crouch has to be on that plane to South Africa but Defoe has not done himself justice lately. All I can say is that its a good job for him that he does not have much competition!

Defoe simply has not proved his worth this year - in comparison to hard working Crouch, Bent and Rooney, he's been very lax throughout the season. If he's on that plane, with fellow underacheiver Walcott, and Darren Bent isn't, I will personally shoot Fabio Capello for making a complete mockery of how the squad is picked, again.

Worries for Gareth Barry? Really? He's hardly been amazing this last year. We have midfielders in the form of Scott Parker and Danny Murphy who've performed better overall this season, but for "smaller" clubs. Is it going to be that big a deal if we don't take Gerrard, would be my question...? He's been the most underperforming of all the England regulara in the last five months.

Last game of the season today, although I'm half tempted to do the Brighton Charity Cup Final at Worthing in midweek.

Hailsham Town v Wick, 3pm kick off - the raffle prizes are bought, the End of Season review is in the programme - and it's drizzling and miserable. I thought it was supposed to be nearly summer?

Now there's a phrase you don't often see: "the beauty of the play off system"

Got to like a system that promotes teams that finish 6th.

In the Unibond First Division North playoff final Colwyn Bay beat Lancaster City 1 - 0 with an 88th minute penalty. At the end of the regular season City, who had led most of the season but tailed away at the end, finished second twenty one points ahead of fifth placed Colwyn Bay. Still, everyone knew the rules at the start of the season, so better luck next season to City.

Fingers crossed for Blackpool now.

Geoff.

Hailsham Town 0 - Wick 1

The last game of the season brought with it a typically end of season affair - for the first 45 minutes anyway. A couple of Hailsham half-chances aside, but no shot on target that troubled either 'keeper. After the break though it was a different matter - first French's header hit the bottom of the inside of the far post from Lewis' deep cross, before Wick were inches wide with an absolute rocket at the other end. 10 minutes later, Wick did hit the target - with a belter from Gaskin that no 'keeper would have saved. This spurred Hailsham on - Cooper could, and probably should, have had a penalty, whilst Barden fired over as Hailsham continued to get the ball into good positions only to be let down by the final ball. It was though a brave performance - can't fault the lads for commitment at all, on a difficult pitch which was turned quicker by a sharp spell of rain in the first half. Here's to next season - whatever league we end up in.

I'd also like to thank the groundhoppers who turned up today, including one elderly gent who travelled by train from Suffolk - it really is appreciated :)

• RMweb Gold

Praise The Lord! We (Leeds Utd) beat the Gasheads 2-1 and finally got (automatic) promotion to the Championship! Must have aged 20 years listening to it, totally drained. All that heartache over the last six years! Anyone else out there who has/is suffered/suffering the same sort of despair with their club, over the years?

Praise The Lord! We (Leeds Utd) beat the Gasheads 2-1 and finally got (automatic) promotion to the Championship! Must have aged 20 years listening to it, totally drained. All that heartache over the last six years! Anyone else out there who has/is suffered/suffering the same sort of despair with their club, over the years?

We all do mate, no matter who we support..

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
That's about the 7th time this season you've made that joke, BoD wink.gif

I knew these Scottish teams played each other a few times in a season but I didn't know it was that many.