The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

• RMweb Gold

To be fair, I'd love the pundits on MOTD to actually read out loud one of the rules of the game each week.

They could do worse than start with the offside rule.

When is a player interfering?

When a player is returning from an offside position when can he become involved again without being flagged offside?

Changing tack completely, this Pardew business seems to be dragging on a bit. Caretakers looking after the team at Newcastle, Pardew in the stands at the Palace game,  everyone assuming he is their new manager but no official confirmation either that he has left one club or joined the other.

Leicester City were the  victims of the most stupid penalty award this season yesterday - since when has the ball clearly hitting a player in the face been a penalty?

At least Wes Morgan probably hasn't got to play Liverpool again this season - two assists for Lallana and Gerard in our 3-1 home loss and then sent off for manhandling Lambert later on and yesterday conceding this "penalty".

Liverpool looked distinctly average to me in both games and we should have got more than one point from the games.

Mind you when your luck is out and you keep shooting yourself the foot defensively, as we did twice against a very unimpressive Tottenham* on Boxing Day, you get nothing in the Premiership.

*Tottenham were very good yesterday though.

'Tottenham were very good yesterday though'…….Music to my ears.  Never enjoyed a match as much.  

Probably because I was sitting with my BiL who is a lifelong Chelsea fan and who had never tired of telling me how many times Spurs had lost to the boys in blue…... :yahoo:

Edited by gordon s

They could do worse than start with the offside rule.

No, no, no - please no! As a player, that has got me into more trouble with refs than anything else - explaining in what ways they do not understand that rule!

Hindsight, and slo-mo replays are a wonderful thing! Unless you want to halt the game every time there is a contentious incident to check the video then we'll have to live with the good and bad decisions...

Over the whole season I reckon it just about evens out... Leave things be...

Personally i can't stand managers who try to hide their's and their teams shortcomings by rounding on the ref... ;)

Incidentally, if some kindly soul manages to save Hereford, but only on the proviso that they move to Worcester (purely hypothetical, and fairly unlikely, I guess), how would we feel about that? Happy that the club continued, or bitter about the move, even though the alternative would be oblivion for Hereford FC? I'm sure that the owners of Wasps (and yes, the Dons, too) gave some thought to the feelings of the fans before making their decisions, but made the move all the same.

no because it would be a new team starting in a new town at the bottom of the pyramid working there way up & good luck to them if they do . Completely different to moving an already established club miles away to another city completely changing it's name but wanting to to claim it's history also circumventing the football pyramid to parachute a team in .

The magic of the FA Cup! It has not done the nerves any good. But thankfully a last minute penalty from Chris Martin has seen Derby scrape past non-league Southport. Sadly, due to needing to get work done, I was unable to attend. It made frustrating listening - certainly the non-leaguers put up a good fight and deserve great credit. Martin may be needing to make a statement, his 17th goal  of the season coming just as the club sign Darren Bent on loan.

At least we are in the fourth round draw and that is all you can say. More than the red clad side from the opposite end of the A52 can say. Rochdale 1 Forest 0. I won't laugh too much, we have to play them in a couple of weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

With regard to Saturday's game, may I be permitted to just say one word:

YYYYYYEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

Thank you

Rob

PS To elaborate slightly, the joy of winning against Derby was further enhanced by the fact that I was seriously fearing another thumping, like last season!

• RMweb Gold

White Hart Lane

Not a bad result for United at all - Being naturally pessimistic about the Blades I feared they would maybe "Do a Wednesday" and let most of the Spurs players grab a goal each....

Absolutely superb atmosphere last night, and a performance to match. Well done everybody.

Didn't see the handball as it was at the other end to ours, but, commiserations to Jay, won me my bet though!!

I don't think we've much to fear next wednesday if the same stuttering inept Spurs team shows up.

Mike.

PS. Can someone move the ground nearer to Seven Sisters station, I'm sure it gets further each time I visit.

• Like 1

Twenty years ago this week since Eric Cantona took up Kung Fu:

Time flies seems like only yesterday.

I was there that night. Palace set out with a plan to rough up Utd, probably because they had no chance in trying to match them playing football. A few Utd players were getting a kicking and Cantona was on the end of a number of really rough tackles, including a potential leg breaker from, if I remember correctly Chris Colman, just before the Kung Foo incident. He was clearly getting more and more riled as the Ref was doing nothing about it.

Those sort of tackles and fouls would be drawing instant yellow and red cards today.

When he retaliated to yet another tackle by kicking out. The Ref then showed him the red card.

In no way am I excusing him, but anything might have set off what was a very short fuse by that stage; another player's actions for instance. It just so happened it was that foul mouthed racist idiot in the crowd.

Edited by Oakydoke

Well done Cambridge for their heroics. No shots on goal though, despite their header just over the bar in the first half.

Only 25% possession overall and worst in the 2nd half (20% although it was 17% until the 80th minute).

A minor miracle, or just rewards for their endeavour?

For Utd, the same problem that's bugged them for 3 seasons. Lack of drive, grit and power in their central midfield and slow ponderous build ups in their attack.

Chief culprit, Captain Slow (Carrick) didn't wake up until half way through the 2nd half, when he finally started playing well.

Fellaini was absolutely awful and should have been hooked at half time, not nearly midway through the second half.

With that pair, is it any wonder the forwards were struggling?

Also I question the wisdom of playing a young lightweight 18 year old rooky up front, when he is clearly not ready for the first team.

75% overall possession (80% in the second half) and no goals! Not good.

Still, a great story for Cambridge and their coffers will be swelled with a well earned trip to Old Trafford, to add to a well earned payday at home tonight.

Who said that the romance of the FA Cup was dead?

Meanwhile off the pitch, the best result has so far gone unannounced on here

I only hope no one else gives him another job covering football.

He must be universally disliked in that role and how on earth can they pay him that sort of money when he's hardly a must have personality to be fought over by rival TV companies.