The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

My Arsenal-supporting colleague is much annoyed at last night's match. Frankly I thought we got away with it.

It was a very entertaining match for the neutral and first on MOTD last night.

The refereeing for second match on (Swansea v Sunderland) was also "entertaining".

Jermain Defoe playing behind the shoulder of the last defender and taking his two offside goals with aplomb.....who could ask for more.....

Edit to insert "Sunderland" instead of "Newcastle" - excuse - one struggling North-Eastern club looks pretty much like the other down here in the Midlands.

Edited by cary hill

With over 20 goals scored in today's PL I think Villa- Leicester has 0-0 written all over it.

Wrong but a dismally poor low quality game with a probably undeserved draw allowing us to creep back to the top of the Premiership for five minutes.

Mahrez's pathetically poor penalty misses are costing have cost us dear at the moment - we could be five points clear by now, although I see general signs of the wheels beginning to fall off, as we've stopped scoring and you have to ask questions when Aston Villa bossed possession in the second half because they are a poor,poor team.

As the premier league gets more and more about the money, referee's decisions increasingly have heavy financial consequences. Chelsea's last gasp goal was well beyond the indicated extra time and offside. How much could that point be worth to them come the end of the season. Or more likely how much could Everton lose due to the loss of those 2 points. That could well be the difference for their potential Europa qualifying or not. The ref again missed far too much in the NUFC WHU match. Shelvey should have gone for that flying elbow. A missed pen for bringing down Moses in the latter stages could have changed the outcome again. Another team with a potential Europa or even Champions League qualification dented by the referee.

It really is time for technology to be introduced as the on pitch officials just can't keep up with today's game.

I agree with the demise of refereeing standards.

Chelsea should have lost to Everton, the Terry goal was offside. However the additional time probably came from Everton's over enthusiastic celebrations for, what they thought was the winning goal at 3-2.

Shelvey should have gone for his elbow too. Not a fan of this player who is very over rated in my opinion. I think Swansea saw Newcastle coming when they agreed the inflated £12 million fee. That really is a massive overspend.

I also think the ref made big errors in the Leicester v Villa game. Huth should have conceded a penalty for his wrestling in the box and the Villa goal was hand ball. Not that it will help Villa who are on a unstoppable slide to the Championship. They can, at least, console themselves with the fact that recent results have helped them pass the 11 point total that us the lowest in Prem history. (I will look away and shrug my shoulders at this point)

It really is time for technology to be introduced as the on pitch officials just can't keep up with today's game.

I can understand the argument however that it would break the flow of play. I feel like teams should be able to challenge a major refereeing decision where play would have stopped with a video referee (penalty calls, red cards, goals etc), but no more than twice per half and a max of 3 per game per team. It will allow major decisions to be corrected without there being disruption every 5 seconds

Edited by sub39h

As the premier league gets more and more about the money, referee's decisions increasingly have heavy financial consequences. Chelsea's last gasp goal was well beyond the indicated extra time and offside. How much could that point be worth to them come the end of the season. Or more likely how much could Everton lose due to the loss of those 2 points.

The loss of points won't be down to that one game, of course. For instance, the previous week, Everton's John Stones could easily have had a penalty given against him. If that had happened, and it had been converted, it might well have been a win for Man City.

I'm not suggesting that things are guaranteed to even themselves out over a season - life's not that neat - but you can't put a season down to one decision. People are still banging on about how Gerrard's slip "gifted" Chelsea the title, but there were any number of games where Liverpool or Chelsea had been equally unlucky, or indeed lucky. It was just the timing of that match, near the end of the season, which has given it a supposed significance that it doesn't deserve.

I agree with the demise of refereeing standards.

Chelsea should have lost to Everton, the Terry goal was offside. However the additional time probably came from Everton's over enthusiastic celebrations for, what they thought was the winning goal at 3-2.

I think you're right. I'm a Chelsea fan, but will freely admit (how could I do otherwise?) that Terry's goal was offside, but the timing of it is a red herring. You can't have injury time fixed at a given number of minutes, without the scope to add more on if further delays occur. ou know what would solve that problem? A countdown clock with a giant display, which starts at 90 minutes, but stop every time the referee deems play to have stopped. When it reaches 45 minutes, it's half time, and when it gets to zero, the game is over. No "seeing how the play develops", no ifs or buts or guesswork.

I can understand the argument however that it would break the flow of play. I feel like teams should be able to challenge a major refereeing decision where play would have stopped with a video referee (penalty calls, red cards, goals etc), but no more than twice per half and a max of 3 per game per team. It will allow major decisions to be corrected without there being disruption every 5 seconds

The review system in test cricket works quite well. Different game entirely, or course, but each captain has a certain number of reviews per innings, where the decision (or lack of it) can be looked at again. If the challenge is incorrect, a "life" is lost, so the captain can't go on stopping the game every 5 minutes, because he has to be pretty sure in his own mind that a decision is worth reviewing.

A countdown clock with a giant display, which starts at 90 minutes, but stop every time the referee deems play to have stopped. When it reaches 45 minutes, it's half time, and when it gets to zero, the game is over. No "seeing how the play develops", no ifs or buts or guesswork.

Clive Thomas would be delighted!

That type of system is used in the National Hockey League (NHL) here. 'Stop time' means that the clock stops when a referee whistles the play dead and restarts when the puck is dropped for a faceoff. It does require the ability to synch goal-line technology with the clock to determine if a puck crossed the line in the last fraction of the last second of a period.

Good to see Vardy, Mahrez and company back in form and full of running and energy at the KingPower this afternoon after their "Winter Break".

Difficult to know how good a performance the 3-0 win was though as Stoke were abject today.

Still good to be back at the top yet again and, with Man.City dropping points today and boring United losing again, we just need Chelsea to come out of their season long coma for long enough to record their usual win against Arsenal for it to be an excellent weekend all round.

Doesn't get any easier though with Liverpool (H), Man.City (A) and Arsenal (A) up next. Liverpool and Arsenal are the only two teams to beat us so far this season and we only drew with Man.City because Aguero was barely half fit for that game.

Got to get at least four points from those three games if the Champions League dream is to be kept alive for a bit longer.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

P.s. Can you get rid of those paper fan things that everyone waves about.

They make a worse ruddy noise than Vuvuzelas.

Edited by BoD

But, goodness, how far have you come to be even thinking along those lines?

I'm sure I'm not the only 'Non-Leicester' fan to wish you well.

Thanks. It's unbelievable to think that what is largely the same squad was floundering liked a clueless beached whale at the foot of the Premiership exactly a year ago.

....Doesn't get any easier though with Liverpool (H), Man.City (A) and Arsenal (A) up next. Liverpool and Arsenal are the only two teams to beat us so far this season .....

Given that we barely managed to get one over Norwich in a match that could have gone into double figures, what have your lot got to be worried about?

Klopp may need to pop into SpecSavers.

P.s. Can you get rid of those paper fan things that everyone waves about.

They make a worse ruddy noise than Vuvuzelas.

We can't get rid of the clappers as their introduction sparked last season's Houdini escape and we've never looked back since.

Visiting fans I've spoken to seem to like the "atmosphere" generated, as there are always some idiots "clapping" and there are no "Highbury Library" silent periods. 

Edited by cary hill
  • Like 1

Must admit it makes the Premier League interesting as the Leicester fairytale continues. As a Derby fan I shouldn't wish them well, but I do. Do I want them to win the title? Why the hell not? It helps that Vardy and Mahrez are in my fantasy league team. Next three games look to be a real test of those title credentials.

Given that we barely managed to get one over Norwich in a match that could have gone into double figures, what have your lot got to be worried about?

Klopp may need to pop into SpecSavers.

On Klopp's wages, I doubt that a new pair of Ray-Bans is going to break the bank.

And he seems to have found them, in a reasonable condition from this view.

post-4474-0-45081300-1453631825.jpg