The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

The Arsenal fans have all gone very quiet......:D

Bloomin' brilliant. Gave them a 2-0 start on their own patch and won 3-2.....

My Christmases have all come early...

One very happy Spurs supporter. :D :D

Yep, Me too. 2 down at half time and doom and gloom had set in, But Spurs are made of different stuff these days. Seem to play better when they go a couple of goals down. WE never do it the easy way. COYS :D

Going down the Valley tonight to see Charlton Athletic VS Bristol Rovers - a frosty reception for one Dominic Blizzard, who broke Grant Basey's leg in the return fixture last season... :angry:

BUT, I would prefer Charlton to simply remember poor Basey's misfortune (still not playing after a year out) and play some good and entertaining football as their best retort.

Happy tonight as my team Spurs have made it to the Knock out stage. Didn't think we played that well but didn't have to against a poor German side.

When we beat Man City at the end of last season I just hoped we would make it to the group stage, then when we did i just hoped we wouldn't be embarassed in what on paper was a hard group. Now we are top with one game left and, so they said on tele, joint top scorers in the Champions League. Can we win it, Probably not, but its nice to dream for a while.:rolleyes:

Happy tonight as my team Spurs have made it to the Knock out stage. Didn't think we played that well but didn't have to against a poor German side.

When we beat Man City at the end of last season I just hoped we would make it to the group stage, then when we did i just hoped we wouldn't be embarassed in what on paper was a hard group. Now we are top with one game left and, so they said on tele, joint top scorers in the Champions League. Can we win it, Probably not, but its nice to dream for a while.:rolleyes:

Why can't Spurs win it? They're playing some of the best football in the competition at the moment. Who knows - dream by all means, but be confident :)

Charlton drew 1-1 yesterday in what was a very strange match with Bristol Rovers! Stayed 2nd, 4 points behind 1st, and 2 points ahead of 3rd.

Come on you Addicks - make this the year we bounce back. :)

Why can't Spurs win it? They're playing some of the best football in the competition at the moment. Who knows - dream by all means, but be confident :)

'cos Real Madrid, Barcelona , Chelsea, Bayern Munich and some small club from Trafford who they always get beaten by are still in the competion B)

But realistically, because they let too may goals in, their away form isn't the best and they'll come up against a much better class of opponent who is a bit more tatically aware as the thing progresses. It's very much a learning curve, remember about '96 when United got to the semis and battered Dortmund over two legs and still went out, stood us in good stead for the future, that team was very much like the current Spurs one.

Don't get me wrong, Spurs are a good side and will do ok, but win it? I won't be putting any cash on them (won't be backing us either, still undefeated, still boring, still unimpressed!)

still undefeated, still boring, still unimpressed!)

Ahem, I'll have to try that a bit more often after yesterdays display(s), top performance by FC United to get a result, looks like it could well be a full house for the replay, 8000 at Gigg lane, it'll be rocking. :D Then on to the third round draw, some club from the wrong end of the A580 for United, Portsmouth for FC (if they can get past Brighton). I know it's highly unlikely, but it would be funny if FC United got further in the FA cup than Liverpool..............................................!:D :D

FA Cup third round draw:

Burnley v Port Vale

Coventry v Crystal Palace

Bristol City v Sheffield Wednesday

Fulham v Peterborough

Doncaster v Wolves

Brighton or FC United of Manchester v Portsmouth

Huddersfield v Dover Athletic

Crawley Town or Swindon v Derby

West Ham v Barnsley

Reading v West Brom

Arsenal v Leeds

Sheffield Utd v Aston Villa

Leicester v Man City

Bolton v York

Blackburn v QPR

Swansea v Colchester

Wycombe v Hereford or Lincoln

Stevenage v Newcastle

Burton Albion v Middlesbrough

Millwall v Birmingham

Southampton v Blackpool

Watford v Hartlepool or Yeovil

Chelsea v Ipswich

Sunderland v Notts County or Bournemouth

Scunthorpe v Everton

Man Utd v Liverpool

Hull v Wigan

Stoke v Cardiff

Tottenham v Charlton or Luton

Preston v Nottingham Forest

Norwich v Droylsden or Leyton Orient

Torquay v Carlisle

So not only do I have to watch Luton - Charlton, I then have to suffer the ignominy of going out to Tottenham in the 3rd round... :(

That's football for you!

So not only do I have to watch Luton - Charlton, I then have to suffer the ignominy of going out to Tottenham in the 3rd round... :(

That's football for you!

Assuming you get through, who says your going out ? 'Arry is bound to play a weakened team as that is fashionable these days. I am sure Charlton will be stoked up, so i for one wont be taking anything for granted.

Nice result today though, thought Liverpool deserved something, like having a player sent off for persistant fouling.

Russia won the 2018 World Cup bid - and I think BBC Panorama has a lot to answer for.

You don't accuse the voting committee of corruption a week before the final decision and voting is taken. One week later - that's all it would have taken, frankly.

Hard hitting journalism - a political agenda at the centre of it?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Let's not start talking about our 'wonderful' press otherwise I fear the mods may be quite busy.

I know that if I offered my opinion I would probably offend someone.

Russia won the 2018 World Cup bid - and I think BBC Panorama has a lot to answer for.

You don't accuse the voting committee of corruption a week before the final decision and voting is taken. One week later - that's all it would have taken, frankly.

Are you syaing that all the frantic last-minute lobbying really made any difference? Most peoples' minds were made up long ago, methinks. Most of the attacks on the BBC have come from papers with a political agenda against the BBC, including one owned by a rival TV owner who would like nothing more than to see the BBC disappear; and another who have kept strangely quiet about their sister-paper's stitch-up of Lord Treisman, and who have had a long-standing anti-BBC bias.

Guest dilbert

Beckham by now may have comprehended why Putin didn't even bother going to Switzerland (clue : there was no need) - Panorama seems to be picking up the blame while Wikileaks is innocent !! The excuses will provide uninteresting reading in the Red Banner papers - of course the riot after the Aston Villa/Birmingham match yesterday only reinforced how civilised the professional game is in the UK.

... dilbert

• Like 1

Guest Max Stafford

Top level football has been on the bung for years in any case and Johnny Ivan's got plenty to lob about at the mo.

Personally, I don't mind as it would have cost British taxpayers a small fortune when we'll probably still be struggling to pay for the Olympics anyway. Also, if I'm still working for this mob, I won't be getting all my days off cancelled now! :)

Silver linings and all that... ;)

...reinforced how civilised the professional game is in the UK.

... dilbert

Yes - very professional actually! Flares are taken to almost every single match on the continent in certain countries. One "flare-up" and apparently all football clubs in England are mindless hooligans :rolleyes:

I take issue with that - there has always been, in the last ten years at least, a small minority of fans in this country, across all the levels of football, that cause trouble of this kind. I don't think the level of violence we see here in our game has any comparison with that seen on the continent in La Liga or similar.

Guest dilbert

Top level football has been on the bung for years in any case...

Yup, and regardless of the colour of gvt in power, there will surely be an enquiry into how the empowered top three commissaires miserably failed B) - the enquiry to be managed by the autonomous Gehenna Bailiffs before they're fired ..dilbert :lol: