The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

Leicester City have finally managed to climb to the top of the Premier League Also-Rans Table after being in the bottom three after eight games. The trick will be to be stay there.

I see there was a bit of collateral damage with Marco Silva's departure following Watford's 2-0 loss to us.

It will be  interesting to see if their Premiership "stability through instability" survival model continues to work, although I suppose there is still just enough time for another boatload of loanees from Udinese and Granada to arrive and shore things up.

I wonder how many more Premier managers will get the chop this season?

I see it as a 12 way scrap to avoid the drop, at least two managers must be vulnerable,

and perhaps three more might be safe, even if their team is not,

cheers

Sad to see that Jimmy Armfield has died after a long battle with cancer. Played 627 games for Blackpool and 43 for England. An excellent career after he retired from playing too. I had the pleasure of watching Jim play many times; he has left a great legacy in that he perfected a style of play that has become the standard for every football team in the world;  they all now play with attacking fullbacks. I remember when he started going forward, even going past Stanley Matthews, it was controversial with the home fans. Shouts of "There's number two on your back Armfield, get back there", and others in a similar vein. I guess you just had to be there at the time. I wonder if we ever see another top flight player with the same loyalty to one club? I met him once or twice, a really nice bloke.

• Like 2

....I see there was a bit of collateral damage with Marco Silva's departure following Watford's 2-0 loss to us.

It will be interesting to see if their Premiership "stability through instability" survival model continues to work, .....

Seems to work well enough for President Putin, and Trump seems to be a natural at it...

, at least two managers must be vulnerable, and perhaps three more might be safe, even if their team is not,

cheers

My three managers to be safe would be Wagner, Hughton and Howe regardless of their clubs' fate.

It's not Wagner's or Hughton's fault that they both manage promoted Championship sides with relatively little Premiership quality playing talent added to their squads in the summer. Unfortunately a fairly chronic lack of regular goals scored may do for them both, but I wouldn't reward either of them with the sack if the worst comes to pass.

Edited by cary hill

If only Liverpool had a world class playmaker to help them break down stubborn nine man defences.............but they probably got what they deserved tonight as four shots on target from 21 attempts isn't really good enough. 

Still it gives renewed hope to Spurs after their disappointing heavy legged draw with Southampton yesterday.

Edited by cary hill

• RMweb Gold

If only Liverpool had a world class playmaker to help them break down stubborn nine man defences.............but they probably got what they deserved tonight as four shots on target out from 21 attempts isn't really good enough. 

Still it gives renewed hope to Spurs after their disappointing heavy legged draw with Southampton yesterday.

Swansea have become a real bogey team for Liverpool.

My three managers to be safe would be Wagner, Hughton and Howe regardless of their clubs' fate.

It's not Wagner's or Hughton's fault that they both manage promoted Championship sides with relatively little Premiership quality playing talent added to their squads in the summer. Unfortunately a fairly chronic lack of regular goals scored may do for them both, but I wouldn't reward either of them with the sack if the worst comes to pass.

I would agree with that.

I don't follow the Premier that closely but was thinking Benitez and Pellegrino must be at risk.

After the Swansea win over Liverpool eight points now separate 12 teams.

The target for Premier survival is on average about 37 points, Brighton and Huddersfield won't reach that on current form,

even Everton and Watford will struggle to reach that the way recent results have gone.

With 12 teams in the mix there will be three or four 6-pointers each week, how exciting.

cheers

• RMweb Gold

I would agree with that.

I don't follow the Premier that closely but was thinking Benitez and Pellegrino must be at risk.

The target for Premier survival is on average about 37 points, Brighton and Huddersfield won't reach that on current form,

even Everton and Watford will struggle to reach that the way recent results have gone.

With 12 teams in the mix there will be three or four 6-pointers each week, how exciting.

cheers

That 37 point mark is for normal seasons. This season is rather more segregated with the top four teams all at a points total which would normally be good enough to come top - and yet three of them are 12+ poinrs adrift of the leaders.

With four teams doing that well, the third relegation place may well be about 33 points.

• Like 1

I would agree with that.

cheers

Situation normal in the Premier League, isn't it, where only four or so clubs are ever going to win it, and the rest are fighting to stay in it; the penalty for failure to do so is disastrous financially for the clubs concerned

Does that mean Mahrez might find himself wedded to Leicester, no matter how much he tries to leave?

Mahrez seems to have put his "Billy No Mates" sulking in airport lounges phase behind him and is letting his feet do the talking again. He is currently getting close to his PFA Player of the Year Season of Miracles level of form.

Whether he moves in the next few days or at the end of the season will depend on another club coughing up the "right" amount of money.

We don't need to sell him as we are currently the 14th fattest cat in the Deloittes World Football Money League,which makes a nice change from the starving fox of a few years ago.

Edited by cary hill

Leeds United allegedly consulted 10,000 people before coming up with this proposed dismal on so many levels Centenary Badge design.

post-9751-0-02232400-1516820344.jpg

Well I suppose you might get heartburn or indigestion if you have to watch Leeds United constantiy falling short of expectations

Edited by cary hill

Leeds United allegedly consulted 10,000 people before coming up with this proposed dismal on so many levels Centenary Badge design.

attachicon.gifleedsgaviscon.jpg

Well I suppose you might get heartburn or indigestion if you have to watch Leeds United constantiy falling short of expectations

Personally I think the badge reflects the elbowing action that would be very familiar to many Leeds United players, especially during the late 1970’s.