The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

• 2 weeks later...

WE FINALLY WON A MATCH!!!!! :lol: :D

3-1 against Leyton Orient, unbelievable. Was listening on Five Live, thought it was all going to go the way of the Os early on, but...

BRADLEY-WRIGHT PHILIPS...

BRADLEY-WRIGHT PHILIPS...IS BETTER THAN SHAUN!

IS BETTER THAN SHAUN!

IS BETTER THAN SHAUN!

:D :D :D

Did anyone notice that the news item about W------ R----- swearing at the camera occupied about 40 seconds more than the death of about a thousand people in Cote d'ivoire,? but then only one of them is paid what w----r----- is paid and he doesn't live there and cote d'ivoire has no oil.

• Like 2

Such momentous news - it's not as if Mr R has never sworn before, is it?

Absolutely !

What a non-story whipped up by the tabloid style media. It would have gone completely un-noticed if they'd said nothing, but they have to have a story and they have to have a target (in this case WR) - no matter how deserving that person is for such treatment.

The radio has been filled with this cr*p for a large slice of today and they'll probably rake over it again tomorrow, now that the FA has been "forced" to do something by the press.

Something that seems to have escaped the notice of the commentators and pundits, is that the "punishment' doesn't affect WR one bit !

They've cried all day that he should really be dealt with in light of the very recent statement on the flagging "Respect" initiative. So the FA issues a 2 match ban, but has anyone stopped to notice it doesn't affect the player one bit?

Instead, the ban affects his club at a crucial time towards the end of the season. Curious that don't you think?

Absolutely !

What a non-story whipped up by the tabloid style media. It would have gone completely un-noticed if they'd said nothing, but they have to have a story and they have to have a target (in this case WR) - no matter how deserving that person is for such treatment.

The radio has been filled with this cr*p for a large slice of today and they'll probably rake over it again tomorrow, now that the FA has been "forced" to do something by the press.

Something that seems to have escaped the notice of the commentators and pundits, is that the "punishment' doesn't affect WR one bit !

They've cried all day that he should really be dealt with in light of the very recent statement on the flagging "Respect" initiative. So the FA issues a 2 match ban, but has anyone stopped to notice it doesn't affect the player one bit?

Instead, the ban affects his club at a crucial time towards the end of the season. Curious that don't you think?

I don't understand the media circus on Wayne Rooney. That much I do agree with. But referees have had the power to discipline players for foul and abusive language for years, and never done anything about it.

If Wayne Rooney hadn't aimed it at the camera, but looking towards the crowd, I don't think it would have got half the attention it has currently got.

The manner in which he said what he said, and what he actually said, is of course unnecessary. Other players do it, but that's no excuse for his own behaviour.

All I ask is for some consistency. If you are going to punish Wayne Rooney for swearing at the camera, can we please also see this applied to swearing at referees/linesmen/fourth officials/opposition players and the crowd, in general. A yellow will suffice for the first offense in a match, red for second as per usual.

If you want to clamp down on players' bad behaviour, it has to be an all or nothing thing, and not just one high profile case, or conversely, scapegoat, and ignore the rest.

Joke decision by the FA again. Was Rooney wrong to swear? Yeah probably. Is swearing actually an offence? Well, grey area, if you're swearing at the ref or linesman then yes it is and punishable by a RED card, no yellow card can be given for that offence aaccording to my understanding, but swearing at a camera, well, if you're going to say that then surely all swearing on the pitch has to be outlawed.

If the Sky cameraman hadn't encroached onto the playing area and attempted to stck his lens in Rooney's face in the apparant hope of that nauseating 'lets kiss the camera' moment none of this would have happened, Yet again, it's blown up out of all proportion by the media, it's oh so terrible, so lets repeat it again and again and again, think of the children blah blah blah, c'mon lets get real. has anyone had the pleasure of listening to a bus queue of kids recently? I work on various sites where industrial language is de rigeur, in fact I know blokes who can construct full sentances using only swear words and half of the kids can better that! Doesn't make it right but lets drop the mock outrage.

Before anyone accuses me of red tinted specs, I'd say this about any player, to be honest Mr Rooney is not my favourite person or even player and if he was to depart M16 this summer, I'd not be too upset.

Michael Jackson statue anyone?

Brilliant, manys the time I bumped into wacko down the cottage, he'll be sorely missed by the Fulham faithful.

Nearly as good as the Ted Bates one at Southampton.

Is swearing actually an offence? Well, grey area, if you're swearing at the ref or linesman then yes it is and punishable by a RED card, no yellow card can be given for that offence aaccording to my understanding, but swearing at a camera, well, if you're going to say that then surely all swearing on the pitch has to be outlawed.

I don't think swearing's a grey area - at least it certainly didn't used to be. Many years ago, I played in a Sunday morning pub league in England. One year, we had a horrible game - people taken to hospital, fights involving players and spectators etc. etc. For the corresponding game the next season, they send us a Football League (Div 3-4) ref, obviously with orders to keep it under tight control! At one point, a player on the other team sliced a kick and swore - the ref sent him straight off. When he protested that he was only swearing at himself, the ref said that was irrelevant. The rule said 'foul or abusive language' - it didn't say anything about who it was directed towards. Now, whether the rule is (or ever was) strictly applied ...

• Like 1

I don't think swearing's a grey area - at least it certainly didn't used to be. Many years ago, I played in a Sunday morning pub league in England. One year, we had a horrible game - people taken to hospital, fights involving players and spectators etc. etc. For the corresponding game the next season, they send us a Football League (Div 3-4) ref, obviously with orders to keep it under tight control! At one point, a player on the other team sliced a kick and swore - the ref sent him straight off. When he protested that he was only swearing at himself, the ref said that was irrelevant. The rule said 'foul or abusive language' - it didn't say anything about who it was directed towards. Now, whether the rule is (or ever was) strictly applied ...

It's a grey area in the fact that it's been accepted to swear on the pitch, the FA came out with something along the lines of 'it's a professional footballers workplace and as such ok to swear'. By the laws of the game swearing is punishable by a red card,(asuming you call it offensive insulting or abusive language) so we'll be down to abandoned games if that rule is applied across the board. Which is fine by me if they're going to implement it and abide by it, but lets face it, it won't happen.

It's a grey area in the fact that it's been accepted to swear on the pitch, the FA came out with something along the lines of 'it's a professional footballers workplace and as such ok to swear'. By the laws of the game swearing is punishable by a red card,(asuming you call it offensive insulting or abusive language) so we'll be down to abandoned games if that rule is applied across the board. Which is fine by me if they're going to implement it and abide by it, but lets face it, it won't happen.

I think we all agree that referees should implement it, but are equally frustrated by them not applying it consistently. The number of times I've seen other referees give the decision, a yellow card (on one occasion red - you can't get away with saying the, ah, "c-word" in an under-18 match, frankly) is minimal at best.

If we, collectively, as referees applied it consistently, then the Manchester United fans among us wouldn't feel half as angry as they do now, and I sympathize with them greatly.

At the same time, it's very difficult to have any sympathy for Wayne Rooney when he does daft things like this, and the elbow to the face of last month.

This blurb on the beeb caught my eye this morning:

Even if Manchester United eventually succeed in any attempt to reduce Wayne Rooney's ban to one match, the Football Association will feel they have sent a message in taking such tough and swift action against the Manchester United player.

A message to the game's super-rich performers that they expect them to set a better example to the millions of youngsters who idolise them.

A message that they will not be afraid of reputations when it comes to cracking down on those who step out of line.

And a message to the politicians and other football leaders who have questioned the FA's lack of leadership.

The FA insist their disciplinary procedures are entirely independent, but Rooney's foul-mouthed outburst could not have come at a better time.

Last week, Premier League chief executive Richard Scudamore tried to claim the game's moral high ground by announcing a new zero tolerance initiative on player behaviour.

The move exposed the FA's perceived failings at a time when politicians are looking for reasons not to step in and regulate the game.

So who better to use as an example of their fast track justice system than the country's most high profile player?

Manchester United will be well aware of the wider political and reputational considerations for the FA and will no doubt rail against the injustice of it all.

But Rooney has left them without a leg to stand on.

Their best hope of ensuring Rooney doesn't miss the FA Cup semi-final against local rivals Manchester City may be in accepting the charge but arguing mitigating circumstances.

While keen not to use it as an excuse, one source close to the player claimed Rooney had faced vitriolic levels of abuse from West Ham fans at Upton Park on Saturday.

He also suggested the player was under extraordinary levels of pressure from the media.

That won't wash with many fans who help pay the wages of multi-millionaire players at a time when they are feeling the financial squeeze.

Scudamore suggested there had been a shift in public mood last week when he said the sport had to realise the time had come to work harder on standards of behaviour.

Despite all his problems on and off the pitch this season, Wayne Rooney remains English football's greatest asset. The FA's decision to ban him has provided another harsh reminder that he has a much wider responsibility to the game.

To be quite frank, players get abuse at all levels of the game, from the fans. Perhaps its time for a firm crack down on all areas, if we want behaviour to improve - starting with the players on the pitch, who are the biggest influence to young fans and budding players and officials in any event.

But it must be across the board. Singling high profile cases out simply will not do the job.

How ironic; the media goaded the FA into "taking action", strongly suggesting that in light of their statement on the "respect" campaign (made less than 48 hours earlier), they would appear weak or hypocritical if they didn't.

However, this ruling has simply had the reverse effect on the FA's reputation. They are looking like a big joke.

All it has done has highlighted the inconsistency and hypocrisy in their recent decision making.

Whether or not the incident deserved a punishment, the two match ban has no effect on the player whatsoever.

In taking this "knee-jerk" decision the FA think they've "dodged the media bullets", but it might have opened them up to receive more 'flak".

In the meantime, the effect of the ban may be to subvert the Premiership title race and FA Cup semi-final, by punishing the player's club for something they had no direct control over.

Who's the recently appointed chairman of the FA ?

Answer, the former chairman of a certain MCFC !

......if we want behaviour to improve - starting with the players on the pitch, who are the biggest influence to young fans and budding players and officials in any event.

But it must be across the board. Singling high profile cases out simply will not do the job.

I couldn't agree more.

More than that, the FA's action smacks of nothing short of hypocrisy in light of other recent events.

As for being "English Football's greatest asset", the FA might want to watch their step. After all the media criticism and abuse from England (so called) fans, I would not blame Rooney if he took this FA ruling as the last straw and told them to @?&!!! $> next time he gets an England call-up.

However, this ruling has simply had the reverse effect on the FA's reputation. They are looking like a big joke.

All it has done has highlighted the inconsistency and hypocrisy in their recent decision making.

I think whether they are a joke or not will depend upon how they continue from this point on. If this is a high profile one off, then yes, they are a joke. If not, and they continue to "clamp down" as they put it, then it might be for the greater good of the game.

One can only speculate on that point, however.

Who's the recently appointed chairman of the FA ?

Answer, the former chairman of a certain MCFC !

Interesting, but I wonder if that has any real bearing on the decision to slap Rooney down? I personally think whoever was in charge, Rooney would have been charged - he does deserve the punishment, after all.

That said, the strength of feeling between the two Mancunian sides is stronger than ever...! :lol:

Michael Jackson statue anyone?

I understand that Arsenal are having a statue erected outside the 'Emirates'. Its of Jim Bowen, of Bullseye Darts programme fame. With a plaque which reads ' Just look at what you could've won'

• Like 1

If I was a Man U fan Id be fuming at Rooney instead of trying to deflect blame yet again. Why did he risk getting himself suspended at such a key point of the season. What was the point? What did he think would happen? He might be stupid but hes not THAT stupid.

He should stick to trying to maim opponents with elbows to the head, the anti-Man U biased FA dont seem able to touch him for that.

Just a few comments guys.

As to the Rooney affair, I can't make my mind up about it....... On one hand something has to be done about swearing on the pitch, but only if its aimed directly at someone. On the other hand, Rooney swore directly at the Camera, mind you I don't think he looked for the camera to do it, the Cameraman 'just happened' to be there!!!!! He would have gone to the fans and said what he said anyway. So should he have been done for it, possibly, but maybe a fine and a retrospective yellow card.

The thing that really gets my goat about swearing etc. on the pitch, is the way players surround the Ref/Linesman when a decision goes against them, that is what should be stamped on, heavily. I know I'm a Leicester fan but just read this article on the Middlesborough game and especially Svens reaction to Jeffrey Brumas sending off http://www.thebluearmy.co.uk/news/Sven-tells-Leicester-City-players-Just-shut/article-3407332-detail/article.html The only person allowed to approach the Ref should be the Captain, as per Rugby. If any other players approach the Ref they should be told to go away, give them 3 opportunities, then if they don't Yellow Card, if they still won't shut up or go away then out comes the Red, end of story, and keep going until the team gets the message, if they end up with 7 on their team, then that's their fault.

I think we've blown any chance of getting into the play-offs now. We really needed to win against Middlesborough, especially with Hull, Watford, Burnley and Florest all losing. Mind you the sending off in the Leeds-Forest game shouldn't have been a sending off, to me it was a 50/50 ball and the Leeds player stood on the ball, Cohen did go in with his studs showing, but he didn't jump into the ball, he was sliding with one leg extended. You try extending one leg without your foot pointing straight up, if you know what I mean.

Anyway, that's me off my soap-box. Lets hope Sven can pull off a miracle and all the teams above us lose their remaining 7 games and we win all ours, well I can dream can't I :P :P :P

Regards

Neal

UTF

Oh well that'll teach me to take the pee out of arsenal earlier, So our Champions League Journey looks almost certainely at an end :( But never mind its been great to get this far and unlike my arsenal mates we never expected to win it. I do hope we can qualify again soon.

• RMweb Premium

Just a few comments guys.

As to the Rooney affair, I can't make my mind up about it....... On one hand something has to be done about swearing on the pitch, but only if its aimed directly at someone. On the other hand, Rooney swore directly at the Camera, mind you I don't think he looked for the camera to do it, the Cameraman 'just happened' to be there!!!!! He would have gone to the fans and said what he said anyway. So should he have been done for it, possibly, but maybe a fine and a retrospective yellow card.

I seem to remember a certain Drogba did exactly the same thing. For that he got 3 matches and he was telling the truth - it was a disgrace.

Rooney's a fool for getting 'done' at the wrong part of the season for no gain.

Kevin Martin