Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

• RMweb Premium

Had to laugh at Redknapp's moaning about how bad Spurs' pre-season has been, with other clubs trying to unsettle his players - a clear case of reaping what you sow IMHO!

Never thought I'd ever say it, but today I'm relieved not to be an Arsenal fan, that was just embarrassing.

Charlton play Sheffield Wednesday this evening - off to see my beloved Addicks at the Valley in what promises to be a thrilling affair. I'd settle for a draw at this stage of the season, purely on the basis that I still can't quite get over the start we've had so far.

There's only one Chris Powell! There's only one Chris Powell! There's only one Chris Powell! Chris Powell! :sungum:

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Not looking any better for Arsenal, with yet another defeat. Should Wenger be now in fear following the dreaded vote of confidence from the board? :blink: There is a pursuasive argument that suggests he royally c*cked up this summer with not fully replacing Fabrigas and Nasri - it appeared that only Wenger believed they would stay - or overhauling his defence. Still, Spurs fans would have cheered up no end following their team's demolishion of Liverpool; who are very much a work in progress, but still pose a threat.

With Chelsea being undone by Utd, and City loosing their 100% start to Fulham, will anyone being able to stop the Reds? You know how s*ds law works...Utd fans must be fearing the potential banana skin that is a trip to Stoke next week.

Pompey are presently doing a decent impression of a stone being chucked off the Spinaker tower... Whether or not there is a bungey cord attached to their ankles remains to be seen (stone don't normally bounce!), but the new owners - whilst seemingly taking a long-term approach - would not be too happy about their 'investment' ending up in league two next season. I like Cotterill - he has done a decent job keeping us steady following our recent shenanigans - and believe he is the right manager for the job, but if results don't improve soon I can see him being zapped before Christmas :(

Edited by Claude_Dreyfus

With Chelsea being undone by Utd, and City loosing their 100% start to Fulham, will anyone being able to stop the Reds? You know how s*ds law works...Utd fans must be fearing the potential banana skin that is a trip to Stoke next week.

Nope, :D , now I know that'll come back to bite me on my backside, but the game on the 15th Oct is one that I'm a bit more worried about, we've a pretty good record at the Brittania and we probably won't be playing with Berbatov and Carrick as centre halves, which was somewhat surreal last night.

Loving the fantasy football this year - "Copley Hill F.C." on the official one :)

Here's my team...make of the choices what you will...

Schwarzer WBA (A)

Barnett SUN (H)

Simpson BLA (H)

Taylor R BLA (H)

Young STO (A)

Silva EVE (H)

Nani STO (A)

Bale WIG (A)

Martin C SUN (H)

Rooney STO (A)

Aguero

Is the starting eleven with...

Fulop FUL (H)

Tiote BLA (H)

Shotton MUN (H)

Gabbidon AVL (H)

...on the bench.

Edited by S.A.C Martin

Carlos Tevez: words fail me. What an utterly disgraceful thing to do. All that talent and money, and acting like a petulant manchild.

I despair for the top echelons of football. I much preferred listening to my team on the radio in a thrilling 1-1 draw. Plenty of action in MK Dons 1 - 1 Charlton Athletic, and none of the bitter stuff!

• Like 1

The wording of his "statement" by his lawyer/rep says it all... The key words are at the end:

"Going forward I am ready to play when required and to fulfil my obligations."

Obviously Mancini was not asking him to do this but to play more of a holding role to prevent more goals against City, hence his refusal and the so-called "misunderstanding"... Get real, Teves, your obligations are to play to the instructions of your manager, whether that's going forward or defending...

We should sack him and save the £30m wages bill. Over paid prima donas...

• RMweb Premium

Carlos Tevez: words fail me. What an utterly disgraceful thing to do. All that talent and money, and acting like a petulant manchild.

I despair for the top echelons of football. I much preferred listening to my team on the radio in a thrilling 1-1 draw. Plenty of action in MK Dons 1 - 1 Charlton Athletic, and none of the bitter stuff!

It looks like West Ham are showing interest now. You'd think they would have learnt from being burnt the first time.

Kevin Martin

Weirdness reigns in the Blue Square Premier League, with top sides getting great results one week and very embarrassing ones the next.

Far more interesting, though.

A frustrating time for Luton, just outside the play-off zone.

It looks like West Ham are showing interest now. You'd think they would have learnt from being burnt the first time.....

Northern Irish side Limavady United have offered to take Tevez on loan! :P

Edited by Horsetan

HE'S BETTER THAN SHAUN

HE'S BETTER THAN SHAUN

HE'S BETTER THAN SHA-AUN

BRADLEY WRIGHT-PHILIPS

IS BETTER THAN SHAUN!!!

CHRISSY POWELL'S RED N WHITE ARMY!!!!!

:dance_mini: :dance_mini: :dance_mini:

Did I mention we're top of the league? :sungum:

Can't believe the start my club, little Charlton Athletic, have had this season. Just amazing - long may it continue!

I wasn't going to post on here that my team, Spurs, beat Arsenal 2-1 yesterday. I'm not one to gloat as it has a nasty habit of turning round and biting you on the bum. BUT having listened to the 'Bilge' coming out of the Arsenal camp today just makes me want to rant. Firstly Jack Wilshere reckons Glenn Hoddle is the most bias pundit on TV !!! has he listened to Alan Smith, Lee Dixon, Martin Keown, Paul Merson and Bob Wilson ? Smith says Van der Vaart wouldn't have scored if he didn't have a left arm, right there mate, he wouldn't be playing pro football and Wilson claims Arsenal were by far the better team. ERR what game was he watching. Now as for Arsene Whinger, he claims Van der Vaart should have been sent off. Oh yeah, for what? scoring a goal against his beloved Arsenal ? He got a Yellow for a bad tackle, fair enough, he didn't 'handle' the ball leading up to the goal, it clearly hit his chest and shoulder not his hand. The officials didn't see anything wrong and only 1 player raised a limp arm in hopeful appeal. He ran to the crowd, well who wouldn't having scored in a local derby. He didn't remove his shirt ( an offence ) so where does the 2nd yellow come in. AND Whinger refused to shake hands with Clive Allen at the final whistle ( wouldn't shake Redknapp's last season ) 2 bob Clives called him, i dont think he's worth that much.

Arsenal should stop blaming everyone else for their short comings, I suppose Uniteds 8-2 win was lucky, and Liverpool never deserved thier 2-0 win at the Emirates. Start showing some humility in defeat Arsenal, we didn;t beat you for years, I just had to get on with it, sulk a bit maybe, but not blame everyone else. Just accept that your NOT the best team in North London anymore, though no doubt this will change around in the future.

Sorry for the rant, I hate bad losers, love the banter though.....Feel better now.

• RMweb Premium

Slightly off-beam posting here...but one that may appeal to someone on here.

I am part of a fantasy football league known as Astro. It is pretty small, only involving about 30 individuals spread out in such diverse places as Thailand, North America and Worthing :blink: , but is a challenge, and once you get round the fact it is not one for instant gratification and takes a little while to get your head around, is a lot of fun.

There are currently three divisions in this competition, and we have two teams currently looking for managers in the third division; new managers will always be given the full experience by starting at the bottom!

It is not a competition per se, for example there is no actual prize money (you play for glory alone!). It effectively involves you taking a team, running the training, scouting, tactics and team selection, as well as player deals...pretty much as a normal fantasy league. It also has some fairly complicated rules, which would take me far too long to explain on here.

Really it does help to be a little bit anal about football to really appreciate this game, but it is not a pre-requisite. If this has piqued someone's interest then do drop me a PM and I will provide more details - including a copy of the rules, which would explain this far more eloquently and succinctly than I could ever hope to do...