RMweb

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

It was a great result for Man City today..But yet i still feel,The Confrence leagues and divisions below that are a better standard of football,for instance Dunstable Town fc lost their first league match still March last year,they reached the 3rd q round of the fa cup and are still in the FA Vase,they currently have Peter Holmes,Dean Brennan and Danny Hutchins playing for them so if your ever in the Dunstable are please feel free to come down to Creasey park to watch a proper game of football

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm NOT a United fan, not by a long way, but shouldn't that number be 500.000.000 the amount spent by the current owners..

They undoubtedly are the 'chequebook modellers' of the football world - which is probably why not many people outside the blue bit of Manchester have much affection for them.

• Like 2

Today's match should remind us that no club is truly invincible, and to have a little humility is no bad thing. United were poor at the back and going forward before the dubious red card, and although the passing stats say otherwise, they never really controlled the game. Then, echoing Arsenal earlier in the season, they collapsed big time near the end.

Both clubs spend a ridiculous sum of money on transfers and wages, I think the "Chelsea effect" of spending your way into the big leagues is all that will win the trophies in the future. How does a League 1 or Championship side compete with any of the Premier League teams nowadays?

Overall it's been a long time coming for Manchester United: youthful exuberance and supreme overconfidence falling foul of a better organised and determined team on the day.

Of course, and to clarify, I wouldn't swap Charlton's position now for anything. The football seems more real and honest than anything in the top flight. Great fun too if you're actually at the game, supporting your local team.

I'll get off my soapbox now!

League one is surprisngly enjoyable, at least at the top end. The football isn't too bad and it's far more friendly than the premiership. Norwich's one season there was pretty enjoyable. Mind you this season has been nice so far too, just hoping we can beat Blackburn next week

• Like 1

They undoubtedly are the 'chequebook modellers' of the football world much affection for them.

That equally applies to City, United, Chelsea and several other teams in the Premiership... City are just the latest "addition" to that particular "club", but no United or London Blues fan can complain when they've been splashing it around for years to keep them at the top and now we are doing the same... But of course they don't see it that way, as we're encroaching on their own little "fiefdom" and they don't like it! Shame....

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

That equally applies to City, United, Chelsea and several other teams in the Premiership... City are just the latest "addition" to that particular "club", but no United or London Blues fan can complain when they've been splashing it around for years to keep them at the top and now we are doing the same... But of course they don't see it that way, as we're encroaching on their own little "fiefdom" and they don't like it! Shame....

Yeh - sport it ain't anymore.

• Like 2

The sport element went when players could get paid whatever they wanted... 60s wasn't it? From then onwards only the richest clubs could compete year after year... The money they get paid now is obscene...

The sport element went when players could get paid whatever they wanted... 60s wasn't it? From then onwards only the richest clubs could compete year after year... The money they get paid now is obscene...

Very true...the problem is, its supply and demand. To 'win' the premiership/champions league you need the so called best players. To attract these players you have to pay the best wages. Unfortunately with megga rich owners entering the game these wages are going up and up to ridiculous levels. The have nots will eventualy perish when a 'European' league starts. BUT dont blame the players. If you were working in lets say a factory and another firm down the road offered you double/triple wages we would all be off down there for an interview.

• Like 3

Top level football may not have been a 'sport' for years but it still keeps millions happy every weekend and even gets a look-in on a model railway forum. It has become the way it is due to flawed systems, not due to any single club or player - and 'moneybags' Manchester City is just the latest club to break the stranglehold of the 'elite' and is, in the process, at least creating a little more interest in the generally predictable Premiership title race… why is that such a bad thing?

Now City are the team to hate - according to many, a 'small club' :O suddenly destroying football with a squad of thrown-together, over-paid mercenaries. We hear all this cr@p ad nauseum about 'no history', 'no class' and 'lack of team spirit' but that all seems to be ringing particularly hollow so far this season as those mercenaries have had impressive results and created moments of wonderful football worthy of 'the beautiful game'.

Not surprisingly, little mention is ever made of the club owners plans for projects to help the youth academy and the local community and it wouldn't surprise me that the loudest anti-City complainers are those who would not mind one bit were their beloved team to be in the same 'privileged' position - or from those of the 'elite' clubs who clearly do not like it up 'em after years of domination!

• Like 4

To be honest (though I agree with you entirely Mucky Duck), I may be one of the few people who prefers my club, (Charlton Athletic) to be broke half the time. It means it's never far away from the fans doing what they have done for the last forty years and more - keeping the club and its spirit alive, money or no money!

Points all taken though. I don't dislike Man City by any means, have thoroughly enjoyed watching Silva and Nasri play this year, not to mention the plethora of strikers...!

Last night i had a dream. City won the league and it was a refreshing change. The following season City won it again, and people started to tut. The next season City won it again and also the Champions League. Abramovich sold his Roman empire to fund a Chelsea challenge, Sir Alex retired when he realised the Glazers couldn't afford a hot dog. City's owners had now spent £1 Billion. Players were getting £500k per week, and only trained if they felt like it. Balloteli had a back strain caused by the weight of his wallet. Fast forward to 10 years time. City pip Chelsea to the league title on goal difference having drawn both games between them, But both having beaten all the other teams home and away. City also win the FA Cup. League Cup, Champions League and Johnstones paint trophy. Arsene Whinger abandons his youth policy and buys 15 players on deadline day. Stan Kroenke has a heart attack. Most fans of the other teams give up and take up Railway Modelling. The following year Citys owners buy up Hornby and Bachmann, the Venkeys buy Lima....ZZzzzz

Now dont get me wrong i actualy don't begrudge City fans some success, they have lived in the shadow for years, but i am concerned. Just look at the players City have bought and dicarded, Adebayor and Bellamy are 2 examples. Now i still love watching my son play at youth level on a Sunday morning but even here the rot has set in. When you see young kids 'winding' up opposition players, arguing with the referee who is normally only 16 himself and celebrating a goal with ' having just had a baby. celebration having just scored a tap in i do wonder.

So was the 6-1 scoreline a great result ? for City fans YES, for Utd fans NO....For the rest of us i'm not so sure.

Re the discard of players... To be fair every manager prefers to build his own team and they were bought by previous managers so I suppose that's inevitable at City and can also be seen at every other club that's had a change of manager... Just the figures are a little different...

I share your concern, but after being "in the shadow" of a much richer club for decades i have every intention of enjoying myself now we have a few quid as well...

One thing is that the matches they've played have certainly been entertaining, and not just for the goals but the skills shown by the players, some lovely football... Hopefully that will continue even when the others have figured out how to play us, and i hope that doesn't involve some desperate "hacking down" like it used to in the old days when playing against more skillful opponents...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The Manchester derby has stirred up all sorts of opinion about the balance of power shifting, however I'm not too sure

The Arsenal result was hugely indicative on how badly Arsenal have fallen back, not how much better Man Utd have become. The Manchester derby told us two things; Man Utd have been fortunate that their relatively weak midfield (in terms of individuals) and inconsistent centre backs have been the living embodiment of the adage of the team being 'greater than the sum of its parts', and have demonstrated the typical Man Utd knack of being able to grind out results with poor performances. Also it goes show that Man City are really starting to gel, and could leave Utd behind. Almost man-for-man City have the better squad - their biggest challenge was to get them working as a team. Should Mancini keep this unity going, then they will be really hard to overhaul...

I mentioned in a post on here a while ago that I felt that Man Utd would be facing a season of transition. Whilst you cannot read too much into one result, I'm sure Ferguson will be wondering about his back line; is Evra getting too old, or Ferdinand loosing his effectiveness? Who are the replacements; is Evans going to reach the level expected of a Man Utd defender? There are some exciting young players in the team' Jones, Smalling, Cleverly and Young, for example, as well as players such as Rooney. Question is, how will the team respond? The fact they lost does not surprise me; it was looking more and more inevitable over the last few weeks that a defeat was on the cards, however the manner if it did.

I would not be surprised if some shopping took place in January at Old Trafford - Sneijder perhaps?

I'm still trying to understand why we've sacked Sven!!!!!!

For gods sake we're only 2 points off of the play-offs, ok so we're in 13th bnut we're in no danger of relegation, and we're only 13 games into the season, there's still 30 games to go.

But he's gone and there's nothing I can do about it but speculate who's going to replace him, so to all the Charlton fans on hre, can we have Chrissy back please??? Told you we were only loaning him to you :P :P

So let the speculation begin:

The Messiah (Martin O'Neill)

Billy Davies

Dave Jones

Alan Curbishley

These seem to be the sensible names in the frame, mmmm guess which one I want.....

Regards

Neal.

• RMweb Gold

Neal: Oh, I couldn't possibly guess which one.

At one point during the Manchester game they showed both benches. I remember thinking 'put those two together and you would probably have a team capable of a top four place too'.

Frightening.

I'm still trying to understand why we've sacked Sven!!!!!!

1. Maybe the the new owners have realised that a overpriced used "Rolls-Royce" is not going to be the right vehicle for negotiating a way out of the muddy bog which is the Championship.

2. No consistency of performance whatsover - a 4-0 demolition of Derby, followed by a fairly ineffective and inept performance against Birmingham and then managing to hold on for a 2-0 win against Watford, despite not bothering to turn up for the second half, and finally possibly the worst home performance(0-3 against Millwall!) since we single-handedly kickstarted Peter Crouch's Aston Villa career(0-5) several seasons ago.

The timing, however, is still wrong as the new owners should have waited until around Christmas, as any new manager will, no doubt, want to bring in "new blood" and won't really be able to.

The return of MO'N is probably a dream, but we definitely need someone with a proven record at the top end of Championship or maybe someone promising from a lower league, but

I suspect the new owners will try to go for another Marque name with no more idea of how to get out of the Championship than Sven had.

You could do worse than Alan Curbishley - just saying...

He certainly has the right "profile", very similar to MO'N in terms of getting Charlton to "over-achieve" for a number of years, but perhaps wthout the "luck of the Irish" that MO'N had with Leicester in the "League" Cup and with his four successive Premiership top ten finishes.

There is a quite a bit of "Chris Powell for manager" nonsense up here at the moment, but as I am sure he was just "in exile" up at Leicester awaiting the call to save his "home club" that won't happen.

There is a quite a bit of "Chris Powell for manager" nonsense up here at the moment, but as I am sure he was just "in exile" up at Leicester awaiting the call to save his "home club" that won't happen.

Fingers crossed, I can't see him leaving with Charlton in the top spot of League 1. There will come a day when he will outgrow Charlton, that much is certain - as a manager he's doing well at the moment and the potential to develop into an excellent one is there in spades.

Who knows where he'll end one day, but I hope it's not any time soon. He is a terrific bloke, through and through. Our Alan Shearer, in all but one respect: unlike Shearer, he worked damn hard to get his coaching badges and work elsewhere before taking on the mantle as manager.

You can have Sam Allardyce as far as I'm concerned.

No thanks, although we can give him a lift back up the M1 on our coach after Saturday's game if it helps.

Some of his army of backroom staff might be handy though, since it looks as if our goalkeeping coach could be in charge at Upton Park on Saturday.

You can have Sam Allardyce as far as I'm concerned.

Whats wrong with Allardyce ? He's taken West Ham up to 2nd and should get them up. Maybe he doesn't encourage pretty football but this is a results game. Hammers fans will love him if they get promotion and stay in the Premier League.

• Like 1