Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

It is getting annoying this season, when players boot the ball towards goal at 80 mph and a nearby defender gets hit on the arm purely because he only about 5 yards from the striker.

All the crowd will scream handball, but that will put the ref under pressure because the tv will later replay the incident a hundred times and scrutinise whether there was any movement of an arm towards the ball even if it was only in a self defence reaction to prevent him being hit in the face.

How many referees will react and give the foul, just because of the shouts from the crowd?

Kenny Dalglish, Arsene Wenger, Andre Villas Boas, Harry Redknapp and Alex Ferguson are sitting in a bar. Wenger gets up and orders the first round of drinks, AVB the 2nd, Redknapp the 3rd and Fergie the 4th. after that, Kenny gets up and orders only 4 drinks, takes one for himself and gives one to Wenger, AVB and Redknapp. Fergie gets up and says "why didnt you get me one?" to which Kenny replies

"sorry this is the 5th round. and you're not in it"

could have gone in jokes this seemed more appropriate!

• Like 4

You last saw one the last time you saw a referee give an offside decision. The penalty for an offside offence is an indirect free kick.

Also, if the referee stops play to award a cuation to the opposition; I was taught to give handball when the player 'moves or propels the the ball with hand or arm; except for the goalkeeper in his own penalty area'

• RMweb Gold

My hobby used to be watching Neil Warnock when things were going against him. Great fun. But now my new hobby is watching Mancini getting beat. It doesn't happen too often but oh boy it's entertaining when it does. What a bad sport he is.

• Like 1

Grayson did well for Blackpool taking us to the Championship and JP Trophy wins. Trouble is that's about the level he can work at. I don't see him as a Premiership manager, unlike Warnock, who knows all about achieving promotion even if he can't keep his club up once they get there. Just reading about Grayson's sacking it's revealing to learn that he has brought in 30 players on loan in his time at Leeds. That says to me that he plans for today, not the future. We had the same problem with him at Blackpool; so many loan players, seven IIRC, whose contracts expired in the same week left just before an FA Cup game at Torquay and we were beaten.

Some other names with Leeds connections and proven managerial skills, Gordon Strachan and Gus Poyet.

• RMweb Premium

So, the FA have formally stripped Terry of the England captaincy...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/16866149

This has been the source of enormous debate over the last few weeks. The maxim 'innocent until proven guilty', has been used a lot, and was cited by Capello as the main reason why he intended to keep Terry as captain. To an extent I agree, however this is not just any accusation, or any role he has. Accusations of racism/sexism, really any 'ism', often result in suspension from a job whilst investigations are carried out...irrespective of innocent until proven guilty.

Here, there is clearly the belief from the authorities that there is a case to answer...there must be more than one player's word against the other. And this has an effect on what is more than just any job. To lead your country in any form, be it in sport, or politics, requires you to be almost above reproach...something Terry is clearly not on so many levels (not possible in reality, as believe it or not sportsmen and politicians are human!). You are representing your country. This is an accusation that is really not in keeping with the honour of the position of England Captain.

It also shows a total lack of personal awareness on the part of Terry. Football has been rocked by arguments over racism, after the controversy of Sepp Blatter...the book being thrown at Luis Suarez by the FA...did he honestly think he would remain as captain after this? Then, self awareness (certainly not the same as self-regard) is not his strong point. His dalliances with a team-mate's wife were seen as being divisive...so how this latest episode could not be seen as the same, if not worse, is beyond me.

England will be going into the European Cup with the intention to win - whether they do or not is pretty much a foregone conclusion - however a key factor in their success will be a united dressing room. Clearly this will not be possible with Terry as captain...some will argue it won't with Terry being present full-stop.

The captain should inspire, and help to drive his team forward. Above all they should always remember that playing for your country is an honour that so many others will never achieve, much less captaining your country. It is this sense of entitlement that no matter what happens he would remain as Captain, that is most grating, and ultimately ample evidence of his unsuitability for the role.

The FA may have been stung into this action - the normal MO for this 'organisation' - but they have acted. Lets see if this has some lasting effect, of will it be business as usual once this thing has blown over and forgotten about.

• Like 2

.....It also shows a total lack of personal awareness on the part of Terry. .....

When you are paid a very large amount of money on a regular basis, I think you do tend to lose sight of reality. (cf. bankers, also referred to as people who look after your money by paying themselves with it)

If this had not been football, and had been an ordinary bloke with an ordinary job somewhere, he would have been suspended until further notice pending the results of the inquiry and trial which followed.

I think Chelsea F.C. and the F.A. have completely misjudged the situation, and to a greater degree, Liverpool too. They are all acting in some way above the law and making a mockery of it.

Terry should have been suspended from playing football altogether until the case had been heard, and a decision either way made.

Terry should have been suspended from playing football altogether until the case had been heard, and a decision either way made.

But if he is subsequently found not guilty he will have been punished, as will Chelsea FC, and their owners and supporters by losing his services. The answer is surely to progress the case as quickly as possible. The European championship could well be Terry's last chance with England anyway, it's time for a new manager and new team. We need an English manager without a blemish on his reputation. Someone like Harry Redknap maybe.

Edited by Ohmisterporter
  • Like 1

But if he is subsequently found not guilty he will have been punished, as will Chelsea FC, and their owners and supporters by losing his services.

If we accept that John Terry as an individual, irrespective at this point whether he is innocent or guilty, had he done this anywhere but on a football field, he would have been suspended from his job until the conclusion of the trial.

You are suggesting Chelsea F.C. and its supporters are being "punished" - no, they are being let down by John Terry. He has in many respects failed his club, and his fans.

It can be argued that even if he did not actually call Anton Ferdinand "a ****ing ***** ****", continuing to argue on the pitch and saying "I didn't call you a ****ing ***** ****" (as he has used in his defense thus far) is still indicative of a man with little understanding of the enormity of the situation. Whatever he said in the first instance, he should not have repeated it in the second instance.

The answer is surely to progress the case as quickly as possible.

I agree with you there, entirely.

We need an English manager without a blemish on his reputation. Someone like Harry Redknap maybe.

I did chuckle at that one!

• RMweb Premium

So Rio has ruled himself out as Captain. Fair enough, but seems a little presumptuous on his part...who says he was going to get it anyway?

As expected, Gerrard is favourite...although my personal preference would be Parker.

Edited by Claude_Dreyfus
  • Like 1

Thing is though, would he stay at Spurs if found guilty? Although not likely, its still possible he could get locked up.

I think Levy and the fans would wait for him, i don't suppose he will get that long and Kevin Bond, Joe Jordan and Clive Allen could keep it ticking over. Reminds me of the ' Italian Job ' Where the 'job' was run by an inmate..

• RMweb Premium

I think Levy and the fans would wait for him, i don't suppose he will get that long and Kevin Bond, Joe Jordan and Clive Allen could keep it ticking over. Reminds me of the ' Italian Job ' Where the 'job' was run by an inmate..

I can see it now... 'Arry sitting in his cell at Scrubs watching the match on tele and shouting directions down the phone...

• Like 1

Pitch inspection at The Recreation Ground, Rustington tomorrow at 9.30.

Looking likely that we'll lose our second game of the season to the weather. The Ressies are supposed to be at home to Lancing, but unless there is a miraculous thaw, that'll definatley be off, the ground has been rock solid all day.

Bah.

Needless to say, it's off.

As is quite a lot of other football - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/16875311

Not a lot in Sussex has survived the weather, the only game having passed an inspection so far is Peacehaven Reserves v Eastbourne Town Reserves. Peacehaven FC is one of the coldest places in the world at the best of times, let alone today, so I won't be going out to take in that one!

What has happened to the BBC's web football coverage? Looks glamorous, but finding what you want is hopeless. The minute by minute live overall commentary seems to have gone too. The forthcoming fixtures are all divided by division and competition, with all forthcoming fixtures on different dates shown in the same list, so it is really diffiult to pick what is being played on any one day. Hopeless! Useless!

• Like 2