The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

• RMweb Premium

The news from Chelsea is sadly inevitable.

AVB was in an impossible situation. He had to undergo an extensive team rebuild exercise, yet still bring home plenty of silverware. It seems that he never did manage to win over the more 'senior' players, such as Lampard, Cole and Drogba...none of whom have covered themselves with glory this season. He has also stuck his neck out for Terry as well, showing him a good deal of support. Ultimately the blame has gone to the manager; which it always does, but what it has shown is that Chelsea do need a complete overhaul.

When Abramovich took over, Chelsea had an improving team with a really strong spine, where a few additions proved to be the catalyst for the recent successes. Now I cannot see that. Of course, there are some decent young players in and around the team, but in the main the Chelsea squad are ageing, not up to the necessary standard, or both.

The appointment of Di Matteo is sensible in my view - it provides some sort of continuity that teams need towards this end of the season. Chelsea only really have fourth place to play for now - barring a miracle against Napoli. Hopefully he can steady the ship in preparation of the massive summer clear out that surely must now be inevitable. That said, the way Chelsea are playing, there is a real threat that they may not make Europe at all...especially as Arsenal seem to be finding some form/luck - call it what you will.

Talking of Arsenal; despite being 4-0 down against Milan, they are currently the only team I can think of in England that could reverse that result - such is their unpredictability.

For my own team...I have more or less given up hope for Portsmouth this season...we are in free-fall, with little or no prospect of that end of season surge we are all praying for. It seems the club have now just given up... although I am glad to hear there is an attempt to fight the decision to pass the parachute payments straight to Gaydamak.

• RMweb Premium

The news from Chelsea is sadly inevitable.

Seems to me that the Chelsea job has become about as attractive as the England one ie not very!

Ralph

Lambton 58

who is undecided whether 1-1 against Newcastle today was a fair result :dontknow:

Redknapp for Chelsea, Wenger for England, Kean for Spurs........... anything could happen. This close season could see a lot of managerial changes, especially with all the bright young managers now with lesser teams in the Premier League and Football League moving up to bigger clubs.

• RMweb Premium

Did anyone see the documentary on QPR last night after MOTD2? Just shows the difficulty managers have, with the board and others trying to pick the team for them. An eye opening film.

Rob

Seems to me that the Chelsea job has become about as attractive as the England one ie not very!

7 managers and 2 temporary managers in the last 8 - 12 years !!!!

That sounds like a recipe for success.

Roman Abramovich is clearly a clever bloke?

7 managers and 2 temporary managers in the last 8 - 12 years !!!!

That sounds like a recipe for success.

Roman Abramovich is clearly a clever bloke?

A fool and his money.....as the saying goes.

I just don't get what Abramovich thinks he'll manage to achieve. If you pay a bloke to manage, let him do it. It's patently obvious a number of recent Chelsea signings are down to 'the board' and not the manager, Cahill, Lukaku and Torres before them, which top manager will want to come (unless it's for the pay off). I really hope the reports that they want the FSW are correct, that'd be great.

Oh well, new manager syndrome for Chelsea before they play city please :sungum: Whoever he may be!

Villas Boas sacked - Di Matteo interim manager until end of the season.

Aahhh well, thats blown our chance of advancing in the FA Cup then, new manager syndrome against Birmingham away and then new manager syndrome in front of their home fans against us.

But there again, there's rumours going around, that the players don't like DI Matteo either.

Chelsea are fast becoming a poison chalice to anyone. Every manager there in the last few years has won major trophies at all their other clubs before Chelsea, they come to Chelsea and suddenly they're bad managers??? I don't buy it.

The big question is, who will now go to Chelsea??? I can't see Mourinho going back, I think he'll want something like the United job when Fergie finally retires just to prove a point to Abramovich. The latest rumours are Guardiola, Benitez and Capello. Benitez would do a good job and I think Capello might have something to prove to English football. To me Gurdiola is the unkown quantity, he's done brilliantly at Barcelona but where else has he been??? And would Abramovich take a gamble on an upcoming young manager again??

Oh well, why should I worry about a Premiership team, we won't be playing them anytime soon :umbrage: :umbrage:

Regards

Neal.

.....Chelsea are fast becoming a poison chalice to anyone. Every manager there in the last few years has won major trophies at all their other clubs before Chelsea, they come to Chelsea and suddenly they're bad managers??? I don't buy it.

Maybe it's the meddling that's getting in the way of medals?

Maybe it's the meddling that's getting in the way of medals?

But meddling by anyone is not enough. Creating a new team from scratch is needed, not papering over the cracks. That will take time. Look how long it took Ferguson at ManU - so long they almost sacked him.

After yet another bout of embarrassing silliness in Chelsea's recent history, I'm content to throw my support behind Di Matteo and Newton.

As for tonight, I can't help but think of the FA Cup final 15 years ago, when Chelsea won 2-0, and the scorers were... Roberto Di Matteo and Eddie Newton.

What price a Torres hat-trick?

Blimey, these BBC radio commentators do my head in sometimes...

I'm listening to Bolton-QPR (QPR have recently equalised) and all that the commentators can bang on about is Cisse's apparently offside goal being "justice" for the goal not given in the first half. In fact, they've been wittering on about goal-line technology ever since Clint Hill's effort was ruled out. Stange, that, because just before the corner was taken which led to the "goal", they were pointing out that Joey Barton had clearly placed the ball outside the quadrant, and were hoping that nothing controversial would happen as a result.

Is it me, or is the debate about goal-line technology actually a red herring in this instance? Surely, all that should have happened is that the corner should have been retaken? Funnily, one of the (many!) things that have started to annoy me recently - other than the fact that I still have to suuport Chelsea, come what may... - is the placing of the ball well outside of the quadrant at corners. It's as if the players are engaged in a battle of wits to grab an extra meaningless inch or two.

Today, though, the commentators have no such concerns. They have a flimsy excuse to go on about goal-line technology (something which I'm all for, by the way), and no facts will get in the way. Oh, and as it happens, the FA have just issued a statement calling for such technology. And now Alan Greene has echoed my thoughts about stealing two inches of turf...

... and they're still talking up the "controversy" of the match now that it's over. Saying that the ref and linesman won't want the embarrassment of watching MOTD tonight is a bit rich, I reckon. From a neutral's viewpoint, the goal that never was, actually wasn't, because of the illegally-taken corner, and QPR were a tad lucky with the goal they did score, but these things happen.

Overall. a narrow Bolton win sounded about right, although I won't be seeking out Mark Hughes to tell him that! Not sure what happened with my previous comments on the transfer window, when I said that the only team to have noticably improved their squad were QPR...

Oh, and the new BBC site is still bleedin' awful. Really very nasty indeed.

Hailsham Town return to winning ways after going out of the Division Two Cup at the Semi Final stage on Tuesday night - won 3-2, which flattered the opposition slightly, but a win is very much a win at this stage of the season!

I've also just worked out that 7 points from our remaining 8 games will be enough to seal promotion! - A win aginst Bexhill on Tuesday night, another on Saturday at home to Oakwood, and a draw at home to Midhurst & Easebourne in a fortnight could do it!

Match Report

Edited by dseagull