The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

Bosman took a stand against what was in effect contractual slavery. I cannot think of another career in which the employer can refuse to let a person go to another employer when their contract expires, unless the new employer pays a transfer fee. Yes there have been some cases in which players have become unsettled at their club because another club has hinted that they will sign the player when his present contract expires. That is patently unfair on the present club, having their squad disrupted in that way; which obviously gives an advantage to its rivals. The January transfer window is unfair in this respect. Players who have done well in the first half of the season can expect bids to come in during January. If their club rejects the bid, the player can wait until his contract finishes and go to the other club on a free transfer. So if his original club wants any money at all they have to re-sign him on a longer higher paid contract or sell him before they want to simply to make some money from the deal. Does anybody think Van Persie will stay at Arsenal when his contract is up?

When the great Tom Finney was at his peak he was offered a contract at Italian club Palermo at a salary five times bigger that his maximum wage at Preston North End. When the chairman heard about it he basically told Tom " You will play for North End or nobody". (There are several versions of this story). To me that is contractual slavery.

Can I just correct myself by stating that it is the Registration that the clubs buy and sell. No player can go and play for another team if he is unregistered, it is really the registration that clubs are transferring. I have written this as though all players are male, there is of course a growing female league that we do not get to hear much about. Doubtless there are transfers involving female players too.

Edit: To name the Italian club as Palermo.

Edited by Ohmisterporter
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2012 for details of the ball. Adidas Tango.

It's always the same, major tournament and the sports manufacturers want to make a killing and bring out a new ball, which is usually detrimental to the tournament itself in that it performs differently to what players are used to. :no:

Rob

When the great Tom Finney was at his peak he was offered a contract at Italian club Palermo at a salary five times bigger that his maximum wage at Preston North End. When the chairman heard about it he basically told Tom " You will play for North End or nobody". (There are several versions of this story). To me that is contractual slavery.

Having read his autobiography that is not the impression I got, it seemed more down to his loyalty to the club, something that happened back then but not now...

But as everything it is down to interpretation, obviously yours is different to mine...

The commentators over here in the USA (Steve McManahan (sic?) and one other both British) were saying after the match that Spain were the best International side ever. What about 1970 Brazil, 72 Germany? I still like Johan Cruyff's Holland but they got nailed by everyone, injurywise.....

Best, Pete.

I think it's impossible to compare teams from different eras, but Spain are certainly among the very best.

Until yesterday I had my doubts, and if they'd won 1-0 and struggled to break through, I'd still have been sceptical. But they tore Italy apart, especially in the first half, when Italy still had all 11 players. On another day it might have been different, but they rose to the occasion in spectacular fashion. That was the biggest ever winning margin for a Euro championship or world cup final.

But I don't think national sides are ever as good as the best club sides.

• RMweb Premium

But I don't think national sides are ever as good as the best club sides.

Well, I certainly wouldn't object to the entire Spain squad signing for West Ham........ then we'd see!

• RMweb Gold

I don't get comparing teams from different eras - these teams are the best of their time. I've watched football for some 55 years now and I really don't think that say a 1970 team could live with the fitness, pace and sheer physicality of today's game - not to mention the absolute technical prowess of the current Spain.

Edited by PhilH
  • Like 3

The commentators over here in the USA (Steve McManahan (sic?) and one other both British) were saying after the match that Spain were the best International side ever. What about 1970 Brazil, 72 Germany? I still like Johan Cruyff's Holland but they got nailed by everyone, injurywise.....

I don't get comparing teams from different eras - these teams are the best of their time. I've watched football for some 55 years now and I really don't think that say a 1970 team could live with the fitness, pace and sheer physicality of today's game - not to mention the absolute technical prowess of the current Spain.

Much as I remember being awed watching them, Brazil in 1970 and Holland in 1974 I think would have struggled against today's Spain at their best. Brazil '70 were not the best defensively (I think England were regarded as such at least until the Germany game - I can see Bobby Moore tackling Pele now) and the Dutch in '74 coined the phrase 'total football' where they could virtually all switch positions at will. But they still had a centre forward in their starting lineup (Jonny Rep).

Well, I certainly wouldn't object to the entire Spain squad signing for West Ham........ then we'd see!

Maybe they'd change their name to Jamòn Oeste.

Edited by rodshaw
  • Like 2

I see Spurs are going to have an interesting time next season, as AVB has been taken on to presumably sow the seeds of discord, just as he did at Chelski.

Just checked the Spurs website and various other sources. NOT confirmed yet. Phew, can sleep easy another night. Please please someone else apply for the job.

• RMweb Gold

Oh well. Another Aunt Sally for the Tottenham board to set up and then progressively undermine. And this Director of Football stuff. Is it just me, or do others think that this is one of those inventions that causes more problems than it solves?

Much as I remember being awed watching them, Brazil in 1970 and Holland in 1974 I think would have struggled against today's Spain at their best. Brazil '70 were not the best defensively (I think England were regarded as such at least until the Germany game - I can see Bobby Moore tackling Pele now) and the Dutch in '74 coined the phrase 'total football' where they could virtually all switch positions at will. But they still had a centre forward in their starting lineup (Jonny Rep).

Spain are not invincible - I'd like to see how the team respond to an early goal against them. They are good, though...

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

Oh well, AVB confirmed Spurs boss. Sleepless nights can start now. Back to mid table mediocrity. Levy must be a Gooner.

You have my sincerest commiserations!

I just don't understand the logic in removing a manager who manages players very well, in exchange for one who can't.

• Like 4