The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

Wonder why *kof* that would be? *kof*

:jester:

The extra incentive to wind up (either party) really unnecessary Ivan.

EDIT:

To be frank, I can't be bothered to argue the toss about football with what I've just read on the Early Risers thread. Life's too short.

Red Devil, tell you what. You have my sincere apologies for my part in any windups towards you, and we'll call it quits. I'll be more mindful in future of your team if you'll be of mine. Deal?

Edited by S.A.C Martin

well we embark on our 19th attempt on the paint pot cup away to chesterfield tonight at 7pm ????

heres hoping we can get beyond the northern semifinal this year

heres hoping for some joy in this never ending sea of apathy thats boudary park

• Like 1

I seriously don't know why you still bother Peanuts, when there's a great little club on your doorstep, at only half the price; and who win now and again, too. Great game at Bradford last night, by the way.

Edited by 62613

I seriously don't know why you still bother Peanuts, when there's a great little club on your doorstep, at only half the price; and who win now and again, too. Great game at Bradford last night, by the way.

after tonight im close bro believe me

1-0 up loose 1-2 last minuit own goal only oldham but thats why we go i suppose

onwards

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

after tonight im close bro believe me

1-0 up loose 1-2 last minuit own goal only oldham but thats why we go i suppose

onwards

And I thought Southend United just scrapped through! 90 + 5.

• RMweb Premium

Crystal Palace on Friday - gulp. Anyone else got potential banana skins they are looking forward to...?!

Yep, BWFC playing Watford on Saturday. Mr.Coyle on borrowed time due to a complete inability to teach a team how to defend.

I'll be watching the game on Friday, Simon, as it's on the television. Good luck anyway.

David

Just an observation from SE7.

Brendan Rogers seems to be getting a lot of stick, and I do understand the whole "give him a chance" adage, but I am struggling to understand the logic in failing to bring in a new striker, and letting arguably your only out and out striker out on loan.

Liverpool fans at the best of times would just prefer to keep King Kenny, so Rogers was never going to get a warm welcome, but their anger and disappointment from the first three matches of the season seems to be vindicated by managerial and boardroom level decisions which leave a lot to be desired.

Trust Brendan...please trust him.

(I have a vested interest - I couldn't get to the Wembley play-off because of oncall, but I had £50 on at 66/1 to win 4-2....nice)

There is too much short-term'ism these days....change takes time, but those brave enough to make change prevail in the end.

The style he is trying to introduce is a step-change away from what you are used-to.

"King Kenny" wasted an absolute fortune on his signings, and that means Brendan has had to reign back a bit.

From what I've seen, Liverpool's players seem to appreciate the philosophy, but as good as they are, they still need time to adapt.

There again, Michael Laudrup appears to be taking the Swans to a new level... so maybe Brendan should take a leaf out of his book and not look for "possession at all costs".

Justice will now be done for the 96.

Randall

ps Joe Allen is a gem... adulation forthcoming...mark my words

Edited by RandyWales

I did say it was a potential banana skin...and so far due to work commitments and similar, I am yet to see a goal scored by Charlton in real time. Ho-hum. Missed both the disallowed goal (in the loo) and the Palace goal (still at the bar in the queue). What a Friday night! :( That's football for you though... Palace were the better side, fair play to them. Shame about the flares in the Jimmy Seed Stand though.

• RMweb Gold

Posted Today, in the demonstration goods thread:

With regard to AVB on brake vans;

As far as I can remember from Eric Gent's book, those BR Standard vans that had vac pipes were piped, though not fitted, but with a valve to allow the guard to apply the brake. I believe the LNER van which formed the basis for the BR designed was fitted.

A couple of vac-fitted ex-GWR vans ended up in the Kent coalfield, being used to provide a 'fitted head' on trains between collieries and exchange sidings.

Good news Spurs fans - looks like he's got a new job already!!!!!

Posted Today, in the demonstration goods thread:

With regard to AVB on brake vans;

As far as I can remember from Eric Gent's book, those BR Standard vans that had vac pipes were piped, though not fitted, but with a valve to allow the guard to apply the brake. I believe the LNER van which formed the basis for the BR designed was fitted.

A couple of vac-fitted ex-GWR vans ended up in the Kent coalfield, being used to provide a 'fitted head' on trains between collieries and exchange sidings.

Good news Spurs fans - looks like he's got a new job already!!!!!

The sooner the better.

Another weekend of blundering officals, the sooner they have an offical watching the tv images the better. A goal given despite a blatent handball at Stoke and a player sent off at Oldham for a perfectly good tackle. And if players knew tv images were being watched and acted upon we would have, I would suggest, no play acting that is causing many to wonder why they bother watching.

Edited by Butler Henderson
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Another weekend of blundering officals, the sooner they have an offical watching the tv images the better. A goal given despite a blatent handball at Stoke and a player sent off at Oldham for a perfectly good tackle. And if players knew tv images were being watched and acted upon we would have, I would suggest, no play acting that is causing many to wonder why they bother watching.

I agree wholeheartedly with this. You could add the apalling dive that Welbeck got away with and the two clear penalties Chelsea were denied to the list just from yesterday's games. Football is a multi million pound business and yet it seems unable to achieve the level of refereeing competence that (for example) rugby union does. When decisions can cost a club literally millions it needs to be addressed. "Top Flight" referees simply are not good enough for the responsibility they face. The game needs to invest in refs the way it does in players, and back them up with technology. Some key decisions need the benefit of video technology there and then, and many others like diving and off the ball incidents could be revisited later. It would, as B-H says, sooner or later deter this kind of behaviour.

I know there are some amateur refs on here (and I don't mean people like me who get every decision right from the comfort of the sofa!) and I am not picking on them. They give up their time to support amateur football where all that's at stake is pride. I'm focussing purely on the top level of the game where we ought to be able to get it right.

Edit rather than another post, but last night I enjoyed a really good game Everton v Newcastle, which began with a very touching statement of solidarity over Hillsborough and then went on to be potential game of the season until three bad decisions cost us three goals that could have just lit the touch paper on an all time great. First a goal for Anichebe wrongly given offside, then the ball clearly over the line - but another Anichebe goal ruled out. Almost instantly after that an amazing piece of skill from Ben Arfa saw him get up from being fouled to run clear through on goal, only to be pulled back by the ref and given a free kick in his own half! Refs shouldn't be able to have such a massive impact on a game. On that last incident it's probably a good job Pardew was already serving a touchline ban!!!

Edited by colin penfold
  • Like 2

I don't think any human could get these decisions right without the assistance of technology - I very rarely let myself get angry at the refs these days, as there's far more deliberate cheating going on from the players who, as you say, ought to be forced to play as if their cheating would be reviewed and punished. Let's be honest - if the players didn't and cheat, pull shirts and dig elbows (because they knew they wouldn't get away with it), then the referees would have a much simpler job.

And I'm not just saying this, but I'd like all players from all clubs to be reviewed and dealt with by the same standards. My favoured team, Chelsea, were - as you mentioned - denied a couple of really decent penalty shouts yesterday. Another week, they'll possibly get a lucky break and win a game they shouldn't, but that won't make it right. Two wrongs rarely do.

• RMweb Gold

On another matter can anybody enlighten me, or reassure me that I am not being unreasonable?

I'm getting a tad fed up at the fact that pretty much every televised game seems to manage to pick up some TW&T in the crowd who insists on shouting "AWAY" at the opp of his voice (you will have to imagine the disparaging mocking accent I used to say "AWAY" there) as soon as the ball is airborne from a corner or free kick.

My understanding is that a shout of "AWAY" is an alternative to "time" "turn" or "keeper" for the benefit of a defender who has posession of the ball in his own danger area to prevent him taking the wrong option as a result of not being able to see the whole picture.

It's not some sort of girly cry of pain to relieve the fear of a ball into your box, and is only relevant if one of the defending team is actually in posession of the ball.

Answers on a postcard

Edited by colin penfold