The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

Yes, it will be interesting to see the punishment givne out to the Serbian FA. As has been said, if Bentner was fined £80,000 for displaying advertising on his pants, and John Terry £200,000 for making an offensive comment with racist overtones, then the fine for a mob of hundreds, screaming abuse and making monkey chants, must surely run into the high hundreds of thousands, or possibly into the millions of euros? Mustn't it?

Even Mr Platini must now realise that, with the world of football watching, UEFA's next move is an important one.

Dont hold your breath. Lazio have been fined a pittance of 40,000 Euros for the recent racial abuse their fans 'sang' at the recent White Hart Lane Europa League game. What a joke UEFA are.

• RMweb Premium

Surely Serbia is not prejudiced. They hate everyone.

Best, Pete.

"No-one likes us, we don't care" Mmm, now where have I heard that before.

Perhaps someone ought to ask Marvin Sordell to 'compare and contrast'. . .

David

They don't like the worldwide "power" that the Premiership is supposed to hold over the World of football, as in everywhere you go you will see references and goods relating to the Premiership... But far less for Fifa and the competitions they control... They don't like being out shone and so punish the FA harder than they would other national associations...

Could be that they're French based as well...

Just an educated guess...

• Like 1

Could be that they're French based as well...

Just an educated guess...

I thought both FIFA and UEFA currently operate from Swiss mountain eyries. It doesn't mean their decisions will be neutral though.

My educated guess would be that there could still be French bias against England(Platini?)

• Like 1

I thought both FIFA and UEFA currently operate from Swiss mountain eyries. It doesn't mean their decisions will be neutral though.

My educated guess would be that there could still be French bias against England(Platini?)

Founded in France, current place of business for tax purposes... We must be careful what we wish for, though... I seem to remember the same sorts of complaints going on in the world of F1 many years ago and look what we have now, the poisoned dwarf and a situation which is arguably as bad or worse than it was when the French ran the show... What is it they say, "power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely"...

Edited by Hobby

As one who hasn't been inside a football ground for about forty years, might I be permitted to invite opinions on the Leeds fan who ran onto the pitch at Hillsborough yesterday evening to strike the Wednesday goalkeeper in the face? A cowardly attack, as this was immediately after a Leeds goal and he took the goalie completely by surprise. He escaped back to the crowd and the plaudits of his friends and, despite clear television pictures of the assault and his grinning face has not yet been identified and apprehended.

A minor incident compared to what happened recently in Serbia, to be sure, but this happened virtually on my doorstep. I was walking home from some late evening shopping through the crowds making their way back to cars and buses and a couple of times was walked into by oblivious and unapologetic individuals. No harm done, but I'd like to know that there wasn't somebody out there who might take it into his head to slap me in the face for getting in his way.

Edited by bluebottle

• RMweb Gold

As one who hasn't been inside a football ground for about forty years, might I be permitted to invite opinions on the Leeds fan who ran onto the pitch at Hillsborough yesterday evening to strike the Wednesday goalkeeper in the face? A cowardly attack, as this was immediately after a Leeds goal and he took the goalie completely by surprise. He escaped back to the crowd and the plaudits of his friends and, despite clear television pictures of the assault and his grinning face has not yet been identified and apprehended.

A minor incident compared to what happened recently in Serbia, to be sure, but this happened virtually on my doorstep. I was walking home from some late evening shopping through the crowds making their way back to cars and buses and a couple of times was walked into by oblivious and unapologetic individuals. No harm done, but I'd like to know that there wasn't somebody out there who might take it into his head to slap me in the face for getting in his way.

Happy to bung in my two pennyworth. As an ex met officer who worked more than my fair share of "football" dutues (speech marks because lots of it was Crystal Palace who bear little resemblance to football most of the time) I am shocked that they failed to arrest him on the night. For officer and general safety I understand they would not want to dive into the crowd to pull him out at the time, but with the benefit of CCTV he should have been nicked as he left the ground. It's easy for the likes of me to say so from my comfy armchair, but that is a serious failure by the boys in blue. I do expect that it's a failure they will put right in the next day or two.

• Like 1

The 'Idiot' in question apparantley has been identified. What a fool to think he would get away with it. This sort of thing must NOT be allowed to happen again or it will be a return to the fences.

• Like 2

Grecians lose again!

Yesterday watched my 6th game of the season at the real St James' Park, that is now W1 D1 L4.

Sometimes I wonder why I bother, though I know I'll be back for more.

Paul Tisdale is the 6th longest serving manager in the league and knows how he wants his team to play.

Apart from Port Vale, who were the best team I have seen this season, we played most of the football each time.

Trouble is its pretty football in the middle third, without much direct threat, we rely heavily on one or two for a creative spark.

Now without the away support league 1 visitors like the Sheffield clubs, Charlton etc bring our gates are now dropping to the mid 3,000s,

and to think in the Conference we once had 6600 to watch Exeter v Grays !!

At the end yesterday some of the natives were getting restless.

Is it time to adopt a more pragmatic approach and go for a more direct style particularly at home where the opposition needs breaking down?

I don't think Tis will change his ways, I expect a long winter ahead, with plenty of ups and downs, realisticaly I will be happy with mid-table.

cheers

No, I thunk fences disappeared fairly rapidly after Hillsborough.

Thats exactly why this idiot must be caught ( apparently they havn't identified him now as quoted on the news yesterday ) Kirkland wants the offender locked up for years, here here for that.

• RMweb Gold

Thats exactly why this idiot must be caught ( apparently they havn't identified him now as quoted on the news yesterday ) Kirkland wants the offender locked up for years, here here for that.

He's now been arrested and we wait to see what he gets.Apparently he has previous.

He's now been arrested and we wait to see what he gets.Apparently he has previous.

I used to follow Rotherham back in the sixties, when they were in the old second division along with Leeds. I used to enjoy matches at Millmoor between the two sides; the ground was always packed, the play was tough without getting nasty and we got on OK with the away fans - I honestly don't think that fool would have got the slightest support from them in those days.

Edited by bluebottle

• RMweb Gold

Following a plea of guilty today Sky Sports News reports that he got 4 months imprisonment and a five year football banning order (banned from all grounds) Leeds followed up the court punishment with a lifetime ban from Elland Road.

There has been increasing speculation about Ian Holloway leaving Blackpool this week. His relationship with tight fisted chairman Karl Oyston has hit rock bottom and it looks like Ollie will be off. If he goes it will be a crying shame, the bloke has done wonders at such a small club. Gaining promotion for a season in the Prem and making a lot of friends on the way by the style of football he likes to play. Sadly it didn't last but we just missed out on promotion again last season. Not a bad record in my view especially at a club strapped for cash at the time. Ironically now 'pool have the parachute payments it seems even more difficult to prize it out of the mitts of KO. I applaud the prudence he showed when other teams were going into administration, but you can take it too far Karl.

I hope Ollie doesn't go but I have a really bad feeling about this.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

There has been increasing speculation about Ian Holloway leaving Blackpool this week. His relationship with tight fisted chairman Karl Oyston has hit rock bottom and it looks like Ollie will be off. If he goes it will be a crying shame, the bloke has done wonders at such a small club. Gaining promotion for a season in the Prem and making a lot of friends on the way by the style of football he likes to play. Sadly it didn't last but we just missed out on promotion again last season. Not a bad record in my view especially at a club strapped for cash at the time. Ironically now 'pool have the parachute payments it seems even more difficult to prize it out of the mitts of KO. I applaud the prudence he showed when other teams were going into administration, but you can take it too far Karl.

I hope Ollie doesn't go but I have a really bad feeling about this.

I shall keep my fingers crossed for you. I have a real soft spot for Holly because he's one of a very few people that are madder than I am. I thought Blackpool were a breath of fresh air in the premier league and in fact they have been trend setters for the likes of Swansea too. Seen them play on telly a couple of times this season and they are still great value. Shame your chairman can't see that he has a good product there and the risks involved in not making any investment are greater than those arising from "throwing money at it wholesale."

• Like 1