The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

Yep just a bit... I see he wants to meet Blackburn in the semis... So that'll mean our teams will meet again in the semis when you've overcome Chelsea! All Lancashire semi final lineup if all goes according to plan!!

Edited by Hobby

• RMweb Gold

Sad to hear of the death of the well known football commentator Tony Gubba.I remember on our 87 cup run we caught a glimpse of him walking to his commentary position.We sang something like 'he's got no hair but we don't care.Tony Tony Gubba'.He laughed and gave us a wave.Top bloke.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/21740038

• Like 1

I assume that their thinking is that a new person will re-energise things and maybe bring a bit of experience to the party. (In fact if the new manager is who i've had a 4th hand tip it is, they do have plenty of experience). Still seems very harsh to me

• RMweb Premium

So close for Arsenal tonight. Away goals rules apply, but beating Bayern 2-0 in Munich is quite a achievement; even if the Germans weren't at their best.

We could have won that game if we didn't give the ball away with monotonous regularity. We used to be the team that you couldn't get the ball off, now you don't have to wait too long and we'll just give it back. Ho hum . . .

Same as last year though, blew the tie in the first leg.

Now, as they say, free to concentrate on the league.

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

That's the sort of performance that gives a coach something to build on though, especially the defending. I think he will be kicking Arteta around the training ground this morning, that was the worst I have seen him play, ever.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Good night all round with three teams through to the last eight. At last we seem to have some clubs taking this competition seriously. We used to pre-Heysel and the ban but since then we have had an obsession with the Champions League. Being 'the best league in the world' means that you have strength in depth and that teams outside of the top four can compete and win a trophy.

Hope they all stay apart in the draw and we have a shot at getting three teams in the last four!

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

What with the Geordies leaving it till the last knockings I find myself in the unusual position of having had quite a straighforward night. Chelsea, straighforward, hmm - I shall wake up in a minute and it will all have been a dream LOL

I'm with you Colin, such a weird choice with two up front.  4-5-1 or similar would have been logical to me.  3-0 up should have been a walk in the park but you just knew the longer it went, the more chance of losing.  I thought we looked pretty ordinary for most of the game apart from a few minutes in the first half.  Adebayor did very little apart from score and looked very lazy.  I know in his day Berbatov gave the same appearance, but somehow you always felt he might do something.

I probably aged 20 years last night, but that's what it's like following Spurs..

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Here you are, Colin, everything you ever wanted to know about Kazan. Judging by the wiki photos it looks like a nice place!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kazan

Ditto glad that the English teams all stayed apart but there are no mugs in this last eight. I could especially see Newcastle having a tricky time against Benfica but the second leg is at home which may help. At least there's no Atletico Madrid and the awesome Radomel Falcao this time around.

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Here you are, Colin, everything you ever wanted to know about Kazan. Judging by the wiki photos it looks like a nice place!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kazan

Ditto glad that the English teams all stayed apart but there are no mugs in this last eight. I could especially see Newcastle having a tricky time against Benfica but the second leg is at home which may help. At least there's no Atletico Madrid and the awesome Radomel Falcao this time around.

David

Blimey, thanks :imsohappy:  Their town hall looks just like ours in Norwich. A place that prides itself on racial harmony, perhaps we should leave JT at home for the away leg (If I hadn't said it someone would have!)

Like you say, there are no mugs. You underestimate any team that gets to the quarters at your peril. Russian teams are tough to beat and the away leg second is a definite disadvantage. They got the better of Barcelona over two champions league group games a couple of seasons ago.

Edited by colin penfold
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Russia . . . racial harmony . . . err . . . :no:

Let's just park that until we see what sort of reception is given to the likes of Mikel and Moses.

Speaking of which, I see that the Totts had the usual friendly welcome from those other believers in racial harmony, the Milanese. No doubt the stout defenders of all things harmonious at UEFA will be thinking up a suitable sum in 'punishment'. £20k anyone?

I guess that they should get a better reception in Basel but these days you can't be sure where these sort of idiots are lurking.

David

• Like 1