The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

no doubt the red team from trafford will feature in one of the  games continuing there run of 40 televised  FA cup games did any one else notice that niether of the two lowest placed clubs featured as live game whilst we get to see manure  v fulham for the umpteenth time

Simple facts are United will pull bigger viewing figures, be it this country or worldwide, seeing as both broadcasters involved are commercial enterprises they're not going to choose anything else really, doesn't make it 'right' but to think it's going to be any other way isn't likely.........

Lets be honest is MK Dons v Barnsley of that much interest to the average armchair watcher? Again not saying it's desirable but completely understandable to your average TV exec.

• Like 1

I hope Luton get live TV coverage in the 5th Round, as I would rather watch them than any of Newton Heath, Ardwick or Woolwich Arsenal recording routine victories over inferior opposition at home.

Surely the chance of a non-League team reaching the 6th Round of the F.A.Cup for the first time since WW2 might be of interest to more discerning armchair fans?

I could live with Oldham v Everton or Middlesbrough v Chelsea (assuming they get through), as at least the Premiership team is away.

It's a pity that TV executives and imagination are apparently strangers these days.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Come on everyone, let's have your thoughts on transfer deadline day. Where will danny Graham end up? Will he go and get booed at Sunderland or have a cheeky punt on the'Boro getting promoted? I can't understand 'arry being interested in Bentley - talented but lazy and arrogant, never broke into his team at spurs so why buy him now? My local team Norwich badly need a striker, looks like Becchio. Their last shopping trip to Leeds went Okay. My team Chelsea need a defensive midfielder and a keeper, so obviously we go trying to buy. ?...Fellaini! !! The joys of oligarchic owners who behave like a rich kid in a sweet shop!

What are your thoughts and hopes for your team?

• RMweb Premium

My team Chelsea need a defensive midfielder and a keeper, so obviously we go trying to buy. ?...Fellaini! !! The joys of oligarchic owners who behave like a rich kid in a sweet shop!

Our Chelsea team, could do with a new owner - preferably one who lets a manager manage without interfering & bringing in strikers and 'temporary' managers that no one wants.

What a dismal performance this morning, no wonder Benitez is our most unpopular manager ever.

• Like 1

iwelumo on loan to the end of the season from Watford  good move from mr Dicov  rumors of Kevin Phillips 

and now jordan obita from reading for a months loan  with rumours of a "big name " striker in talks looking up at oldham at last 

• Like 1

Come on everyone, let's have your thoughts on transfer deadline day. Where will danny Graham end up? Will he go and get booed at Sunderland or have a cheeky punt on the'Boro getting promoted? I can't understand 'arry being interested in Bentley - talented but lazy and arrogant, never broke into his team at spurs so why buy him now? My local team Norwich badly need a striker, looks like Becchio. Their last shopping trip to Leeds went Okay. My team Chelsea need a defensive midfielder and a keeper, so obviously we go trying to buy. ?...Fellaini! !! The joys of oligarchic owners who behave like a rich kid in a sweet shop!

Well, Penfold, as you've pinched Becchio, perhaps we can transfer the nickname 'Old Leeds Team' from Spurs to Norwich ?  How about you buy Aaron Lennon.. he was unimpressive on Sunday as was Gareth Bale although in fairness the chap behind me who kept shouting at GB about a telephone call from Tom Daley seemed to amuse Aaron !

Do tell us about Steve Morison -  is he any good ?  Then again, you wouldn't be letting him go !

• RMweb Gold

Well, Penfold, as you've pinched Becchio, perhaps we can transfer the nickname 'Old Leeds Team' from Spurs to Norwich ?  How about you buy Aaron Lennon.. he was unimpressive on Sunday as was Gareth Bale although in fairness the chap behind me who kept shouting at GB about a telephone call from Tom Daley seemed to amuse Aaron !

Do tell us about Steve Morison -  is he any good ?  Then again, you wouldn't be letting him go !

He had a pretty decent run towards the end of last season as I recall. Canary fans I know won't be slashing their wrists at the loss though, as you rightly say

Disappointed to have missed out on all that "Beckhamabilia" cashflow - not. Who knows PSG may even get a handful of games from him - if he can get fit before the end of the season.

Thankfully we did our main transfer business very early in the window, and I guess 7 goals and 3 assists in 4 games isn't a bad return from Mr Wood.

We also added to our Newton Heath connection by extending 19 year old Michael Keane's loan from them to the end of the season. He doesn't look out of place playing alongside Wes Morgan, one of the best Championship central defenders, and may well be a Vidic or Ferdinand in the making.

Disappointed to have missed out on all that "Beckhamabilia" cashflow - not. Who knows PSG may even get a handful of games from him - if he can get fit before the end of the season.

Thankfully we did our main transfer business very early in the window, and I guess 7 goals and 3 assists in 4 games isn't a bad return from Mr Wood.

We also added to our Newton Heath connection by extending 19 year old Michael Keane's loan from them to the end of the season. He doesn't look out of place playing alongside Wes Morgan, one of the best Championship central defenders, and may well be a Vidic or Ferdinand in the making.

His brother's better...........

Think it a bit churlish to have a pop at Beckham, especially seeing where his wages are going.....

His brother's better...........

Think it a bit churlish to have a pop at Beckham, especially seeing where his wages are going.....

I think his wages are going to a children's charity and kudos to him for that, I just doubt that PSG have signed him for his waning football prowess alone.

Beckham the footballer was always somewhat over-rated, but Beckham the man and PR/marketing machine are in a different league altogether.

• Like 1

I think his wages are going to a children's charity and kudos to him for that, I just doubt that PSG have signed him for his waning football prowess alone.

Beckham the footballer was always somewhat over-rated, but Beckham the man and PR/marketing machine are in a different league altogether.

Obviously, they want to raise their profile even more, no problem with that, it's hardly done for shirt sales money, they spent 212 million euros in the year July'11-July'12, a few Beckham shirts are hardly going to plug that hole. So there really isn't that much of a 'Beckhamabilia cash flow'.  Are the Beckhams astute at marketing themselves? Absolutely, but since when has that been something to beat you with a stick for?

Beckham the footballer over rated? Well it's all about opinions, but generally speaking you don't generally get to play the majority of your career at Manchester United and Real Madrid and become the most capped outfield England player if you're not a decent player, if you think he's overated, fine, I saw him play plenty of times and while he's neither Messi or Ronaldo, he was very, very good at what he did, can he do a job for PSG, well it'll be interesting to find out?

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Obviously, they want to raise their profile even more, no problem with that, it's hardly done for shirt sales money, they spent 212 million euros in the year July'11-July'12, a few Beckham shirts are hardly going to plug that hole. So there really isn't that much of a 'Beckhamabilia cash flow'.  Are the Beckhams astute at marketing themselves? Absolutely, but since when has that been something to beat you with a stick for?

Beckham the footballer over rated? Well it's all about opinions, but generally speaking you don't generally get to play the majority of your career at Manchester United and Real Madrid and become the most capped outfield England player if you're not a decent player, if you think he's overated, fine, I saw him play plenty of times and while he's neither Messi or Ronaldo, he was very, very good at what he did, can he do a job for PSG, well it'll be interesting to find out?

If PSG win the championship and Becks plays enough games to quality for a medal, will he be the only player to have been a champion in four different countries? Zlatan has done it in 'only' three!

I agree that he was limited in some ways, I never thought that he scored enough goals, but as you say, very, very good at what he did.

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

So a blow against player power tonight - Odemwinge tried to force a move away from the baggies without permission and it didn't work. Back to the midlands with his tail between his legs. Perhaps it's a one off or maybe it's the tide turning?

How on earth is David Beckham, the player, overrated?

1 Champion's League, 6 Prems, 1 La Liga, 3 Western Conferences, 2 FA Cups, 1 Super Copa, 2 MLS cups. 4 Times PFA team player of the year, Real Madrid player of the year, first British footballer to play 100 Champions League games...yet Redknapp is a legend with 1 FA cup.

Says a lot about the levels of ridiculous hero worship in football: ignoring actual achievements in favour of some irrational hatred of a player who made a few mistakes early on in his career, and then went all out to change his lot in life and become one of the most successful footballers of all time.

The only two major trophies he hasn't won on that list is a world cup or european cup and we all know that's mostly down to the dismal man management and team performances England have given in the last two decades.

• Like 4

... no wonder Benitez is our most unpopular manager ever.

Really? Maybe it's because I don't live in London, or because my liking for Chelsea is much greater than my dislike of other clubs, but I just don't get all this anti-Benitez fever. I quite like the bloke, in fact - he comes across as honest and unflappable. Yes, I'd have liked Di Matteo to have stayed longer, just as I'd have liked to have seen Ancelotti, Hiddink or Mourinho given more time, but I know by now that's not how it works at the Blues.

I certainly can't blame Chelsea's present woes (and pinch yourselves, fellow fans, but we were still 3rd, last time I checked!) on Rafa alone. Too many players are either misfiring (FT) or dozing off at critical moments (various central defenders).

• Like 1

Some irrational hatred of a player who made a few mistakes early on in his career, and then went all out to change his lot in life and become one of the most successful footballers of all time.

I hope that's not aimed at me as I don't think anything I've written shows an "irrational hatred" of Beckham.

while he's neither Messi or Ronaldo, he was very, very good at what he did

Divine right foot with visionary 70 yard passes, pinpoint crosses and lethal from free-kicks - definitely world class in these skill areas.

Lack of pace, no dribbling ability, poor tackler and a bit temperamental (better with the passing years?) - not world class in these areas.

I think I should have perhaps qualified my definition of "over-rated" better than I did before rushing out to see Leicester play last night.

I meant "over-rated" in "World" terms  - try as I might I can't see Beckham on a par with Pele, Maradona et al. in the Pantheon of all time greats - but I don't doubt he has more than made the best of his ability and has a shedload of trophies and caps to prove it.

• Like 1

I hope that's not aimed at me as I don't think anything I've written shows an "irrational hatred" of Beckham.

No no, and my apologies if you thought that. My original comment related to that I've noted on twitter and on BBC's footballing pages a lot of rather - shall we say, extreme? - views being put out there about Beckham.

No, there's been nothing wrong in this thread frankly, I just question how someone clearly so successful in what is a team game can be described as "overrated" really. 

I meant "over-rated" in "World" terms  - try as I might I can't see Beckham on a par with Pele, Maradona et al. in the Pantheon of all time greats - but I don't doubt he has more than made the best of his ability and has a shedload of trophies and caps to prove it.

I don't disagree wholly but I think Beckham is in a different, perhaps parallel class. They certainly were never capable of the dead ball situations for which Beckham has excelled, equally I don't think Beckham is the most versatile of players: but at his peak, you knew he was a trump card if you ever did get that dead ball situation. 

Edited by S.A.C Martin

Beckham for PSG, anyone car to wager against any of this happening after his playing stint ends

Beckham becomes a global ambassador for PSG/Qatari football pre world cup in Qatar?

Beckham returns to the states as 'face' of a Qatari backed MLS outfit?

No inside information. just thinking of the logic of a tie in between Brand Beckham/PSG/Qatari football, hence him signing for PSG.