If you're new to the forum this is an ideal place to introduce yourself.

Ello from Gloucestershire

brianthesnail96

Aye oop all. Matt here from Wotton Under Edge in sunny Gloucestershire.

Been into railways for as long as I can remember, possibly something to do with my Dad being equally afflicted and making sure I went the same way. Started with 00, the clockwork Thomas set soon turned into a roundy roundy on a 6' x 3' bit of chipboard, with proper locos. A few years down the line (no pun intended) I wanted to run proper trains so the 00 became N gauge, mostly WR steam. Still a roundy roundy, but the right engines were running with the right stock at last. Developed more and more of an interest in shunting so the 00 made a comeback- sold the N gauge and aquired a 8' x 4' 00 roundy roundy board from a friend. Ripped all the track up and relaid it as an end to end branch terminus, with an industrial feeder line coming out from the other end. This meant I could still run trains in a circuit, provided they could make it through the yard pointwork. Sadly the only way I could fit the board into my room was by having it folding down over my bed- this limited the scenic options somewhat!

Played with G scale for a bit too, intermingled with 16mm as the mood took me.Dabbled in 009 in my first year of uni, for the next two years back to 16mm.

Finished uni this year, with limited prospects of getting my own house- and hence garden- any time soon I've shelved that side of things. I've decided it's high time I made a "proper" model railway, i.e. one with some scenery. Am now in the process of vaguely planning a new layout. Decided so far is 1965, set somewhere around here, end of a freight only branch. Grotty warehouses, grotty steam engines and weed grown track. Well, that's what I'm hoping anyway. Watch this space! I tend not to move very quickly on these things, so don't hold yer breath! Will be using Peco code 75- nowhere near brave enough to make my own, branching away from setrack is a big enough step- and eventually DCC, which is also all new and exciting. No doubt I'll be asking lots of silly questions as things get underway.

Have seen lots of fantastic layouts already, especially in the 2010 challenge. Lots to look through yet!

Matt

Hi Matt,

Been there, etc, etc!

I guess the thing about railway modelling is that it can be a fairly fluid thing - if you want, you can certainly chop and change as your interests change over the course of time!

May I suggest you look at the items from Heljan (class 14 & 35) and Dapol (class 22)? These are all fairly suitable for your neck of the woods in that timeframe and should give you very good running qualities indeed.

Welcome to the forum by the way!

Cheers,

John E.

Thanks for the welcome folks.

Since I'm thinking more industrial than rural the Forest of Dean is mostly out- too many trees! I've not got the space for a big layout and I'm not to keen on cramped rural layouts. I also like complicated trackwork, a double slip is a must have I'm afraid as is a length of inset track.

Since the Midland seemed to have managed to nab most of Gloucester Docks, it might end up being GWR somewhere nearish Gloucester, industrial, but not quite on the docks. Where exactly isn't particuarly important, I'll just be basing the buildings on some local examples and the stock will be items that could feasibly have been seen in this part of the world. I'm afraid I'm a GWR man at heart ("Oh no, not another GWR BLT" I hear you cry!) so MR stock will only make an occasional appearance, although I admit I'd love one of the Deeley dock tanks that shuffled around Gloucester docks in the early 60's.

And the Heljan class 14 looks gorgeous, my wallet is going off you already John! Will be mostly steam but I'm sure one of those will be making an appearance at some stage.

Cheers folks. Good to hear there are lots of locals on here- always good to have people nearby to help with the motivation thing.

A small Prairie, a couple of wagons and a "toad" en route from eBay hopefully. All nicely grubbified, and I think I've found a home for the steam engine too, so can think about getting some boards made up (handy having a Dad that works at a builder's merchants at times!).

Having seen some of the other layouts on here now I'm being more swayed towards that tradtional branch line terminus though, probably somewhat more countrified- that Forest of Dean suggestion has got me thinking!

There are quite a few Gloucestershire folk on here, you are not alone...

...and even if we're not from Gloucestershire, some of us are great fans of the County's Railways (well I am, anyway!!)... Forest of Dean has to be tops, but there are/were so many other places to inspire...

Have you thought of Sharpness Docks? Nailsworth? Stroud (Wallgate)? to name but a few...

Archived