Model Rail 151

The Stationmaster

• RMweb Gold

Landed on the doormat this morning and looks like an interesting issue.

Reviews include the Golden Age 4mm/00 Gresley A4, the Farish D95XX/Class 14, and the Farish 'Deltic'.

Articles include:-

Warm Turn a layout with a lovely theme (South Wales Valleys - great stuff),

scratch building a loco shed/signalbox based on Moretonhamsptead, by a certain Flavio De Rosa,

DCC FAQs,

Barrow Hill in miniature,

kit building in which Chris Leigh takes on a Powsides/Slaters wagon kit,

Masterclass looks at bogies for Mk1 coaches,

Darren Sherwood Jones builds a DJH Class 03 diesel shunter,

Leaford is another featured layout,

as is the 'superbly shivering' Witney Euston,

and CJL tail ends in his own inimitable manner (you could try a paint roller with a long handle Chris for that ceilingwink.gif).

Oh and there's a mention that next month's issue will be revealing a major manufacturer's 2011 range ...

Just don't mention the painting! Two identical tins of Dulux that didn't match, so I bought a third tin to overpaint the slightly darker areas....only I accidentally picked up 'Silk' instead of 'matt' and the afternoon that I should have spent building baseboards, was spent repainting the whole lot!

I do like that Model Rail Scotland exhibition ad - "where dreams come true, eh" - so expect to see me with Hayley Mills on one arm and Jenny Agutter on the other!

CHRIS LEIGH

• RMweb Premium

Just don't mention the painting! Two identical tins of Dulux that didn't match, so I bought a third tin to overpaint the slightly darker areas....only I accidentally picked up 'Silk' instead of 'matt' and the afternoon that I should have spent building baseboards, was spent repainting the whole lot!

I do like that Model Rail Scotland exhibition ad - "where dreams come true, eh" - so expect to see me with Hayley Mills on one arm and Jenny Agutter on the other!

CHRIS LEIGH

Looking forward to your visit to Glasgow with your "assistants". Bring Julie Christie as the go-between!

Ah those swingin' 60's dreams.

Hayley Mills is still stored in our clubrooms. Do you want to have a look when you come to Calne next year?

Geoff Endacott

I remember this layout that was featured in Rail when ModelRail used to a have a few pages tucked away in the back or maybe a seperate pull out section, fantastic layout where they had a scratch built ARC 59. I may have to make a trip too Calne next year B)

As for the mag I'll have to wait until Thursday or later.

Chris.

I have just read the great article about Leaford in this months mag. I was interested to see how Kevin Broadhurst weathers his loco's, it states that he paints the loco black and then cleans it off. I was wondering if you knew the answer to a couple of questions I have or if not could you ask Kevin..

1. Does he paint the whole loco all at once or does he do a small area at a time.

2. What kind of black paint does he use, water based ? or acrylic

3. Does he varnish the loco once weathered

Many thanks. Dave

Dave

Sorry to jump in but Kevin has Leaford as a layout on the forum here in layout topics so you might be able to PM him direct or ask the questions in his thread.

hth

Pete

Thanks Pete I'll do that.. Dave

I've not had my subscription copy yet - is it just problems with postal services in Scotland? Any other Scottish subnscribers had theirs yet?

John,

I think the non-appearance of your copy of Model Rail may be due to the perpetual snow we have been enduring in Scotland since the weekend. We have had more than 12" of snow here in Fife and I am not surprised that there have been no postal deliveries to my house, my footpaths have been cleared at least 6 times now and still it snows. I am also awaiting my copy and some other parcels for which I have received proof of posting but as all travel is severely disrupted we shall just have to be patient.

John

I picked up a copy today in Buxton, I've not had time to read it yet but it does look to be another good issue. However I really ought to point out that the brake gear on the O gauge Slaters/Powsides wagon has been assembled incorrectly. As built, if the brakes are applied one set of shoes will push onto the wheels whilst the other set on the opposite side will pull away from the wheels. Easily corrected by removing the cross shaft joining the two sides together, a lot of this type of wagon were built with independant brakes on each side. Sorry Chris!

I was quite impressed about 18 months back when I sort of tripped getting out of a taxi at Paddington and came into collision( a minor one regrettably) with ….. Jenny Agutter

Those of us in Cornwall, especially on the Lizard, know Jenny well.... lovely lady :rolleyes:

.....Bring Julie Christie as the go-between!Ah those swingin' 60's dreams.

Go between :rolleyes: , well without being specific, wouldn't that be lovely.

I'm not into sentimentality, but Dr Zhivago.. does it for me every time :P :P :P

She has a farm in Montgomeryshire, otherwise it's north London or Louth. I was surprised to hear her first marriage was in 2007 - all those years I could have....

Lets not forget, even now, she is/was ranked 9th in FHM magazine's "100 sexiest women of all time" and in 2009, Julie, a year older than me, was ranked 2nd "Sexiest Women In The World" in a Hungarian magazine.

Dream on..... ;)

Similar arithmetical errors appear in the review of the Graham Farish Deltic: at 2mm to the foot, how can 26.4mm be the measurement for 12' 10"?

This isn't even a case of getting the facts right: it is more basic than that, but given such apparent sloppiness, how can I trust anything else that is said?

Fortunately probaby because the model is made, and the calculation is based, on the correct British N Gauge scale ratio of 1:148 rather than your assumption it is 1:152 (2mm/ft).

G.

If you read the review, Grahame, as I did, rather than assuming that I made an assumption,

I did read the review, as I have a copy of the magazine, so it was no assumption, but I know that Farish N gauge models are made to the scale of 1:148 and was able to check and confirm that the arithmetic (that you claimed was in error) was, in fact, spot on for British N gauge. And, as you mention, in the panel in question on page 19 above the column of calculated figures it does say '1:148 scale' so no confusion. ;)

There is an issue here in that 'N gauge' is generally accepted as a family of scales including 1:144, 1:148, 1:150, and 1:160 at 'around' 2mm/1ft (while 1:152 is 2mm/ft finescale) and that only the gauge is constant at 9mm - hence the 'N' for nine in 'N Gauge'. I guess the current trend for calling it 'N Scale' is starting to confuse the situation.

G.

I must say I'm prefering the off-topic talk of Julie and Jennie to the nit-picking of decimal points in review measurements. How many decimal points should we go to, bearing in mind the limitations of a pair of digital calipers? Very often it is difficult to measure even the driving wheel diameter because of the amount of detail that's in the way. You certainly can't pick and choose which part of the tread/flange interface you want to measure! You simply can't get the calipers precisely where you need to, without damaging brake gear etc. I'm sure the manufacturer will be much more upset by damage to an expensive model than by whether we think he's got the dimensions right to two decimal places.

Calculations for OO are normally done to 1:76 and for British N to 1:148. When I do them, I round them to one decimal place. Other reviewers may round them differently.

I'm glad our critic considers it was 'the ultimate review'. I guess the word 'not' was meant to be in there - but what d'you know, we can all make mistakes!

CHRIS LEIGH

Incidentally, the use of the expression 'N scale' is at the request of model manufacturers. We are well aware of what constitutes 'scale' and what constitutes 'gauge' but in the marketing of scale models, the manufacturers wish the term N scale to be used. If the subject is to be debated on this forum, I suggest it is done in one of the broader threads.

CHRIS LEIGH

• RMweb Gold

I must say I'm prefering the off-topic talk of Julie and Jennie to the nit-picking of decimal points in review measurements.

CHRIS LEIGH

Well said - could you perhaps persuade Ben to do some sort of Julie and Jennie themed articles for the future (they would merit much more space than your page at the tail end). Clearly, and both very easily, linked to railways of course although you might get some complaints about the livery on the pannier tank or a suggestion that the wrong pipe music is being played to accompany an N2. And as for the grade and colour of straw used in Russian goods wagons when conveying passengers ...unsure.gif

Witney Euston - I had to do a double take that it was only 2' wide, my 4mm layout is 2' wide and 'I don't believe it' that so much 'space' can be seen on Witney Euston.

I liked the layout, it had a spacious, comfortable feel to it.

I am not a Model Rail reader normally, I needed something to read whilst waiting in a cafe for SWMBO to be ferried home......., but I'm glad I bought this issue.

Archived