Super Glue-ing Van Roof - In Stages

M.I.B

• RMweb Premium

Just (almost) built a very nice resin kit of a brake van in OO - very pleased with the results after such a long lay off (nearly 30 years!)

Having difficulty with the roof. The roof is a simple sheet of very thin plasticard which I shaped in warm water using a wine bottle. Despite the shaping it still has a tendency to want to come off when I super glue it. The first application of glue saw it fixed for about 1 cm of the centre of the arched end sections. Second application got most of it down, but now it seems to go no further.

I tried using masking tape to hold it in place but that put differing pressures on the roof depending on where the internal partitions were and I got a saggy looking roof. (Nice for a grounded van)

Do I battle on, or do I remove the roof, cut a new one, and file off the remnants of the first 2 applications of glue?

Thanks.

I've a suggestion for making van roofs. Use Plastikard planked sheets, with the planks facing inward. This helps with the bending to shape and as a bonus gives the impression the roof is really made up of planks.

Mind you, many people would tell you to use formed brass instead.

Alternatively...you could mark the outside/underneath of the roof with a pencil and then add plasticard rebate to the inside of these lines on the roof and superglue those to the insides of the walls, providing the roof is a good fit to the profile.

regards

Mike

I would suggest trying Deluxe Materials Super-Phatic adhesive (sparingly, as it flows very freely) http://www.deluxemat....com/index.html I wouldn't be without a bottle on the work bench.

It is extremely good at sticking plastic sheet to most (except metal) other materials.

As an initial experiment, give both items an extra good clean as resin products and some styrene sheet will still have mould release agents present when shipped which will stop them gluing properly.

This was a tip I got from an experienced plastic model maker (non railway) and it can make quite a difference to the amount of glue required.

regards

Stewart

ps no connection to Deluxe other than a satisfied customer, honest.

• RMweb Premium

Perhaps build and glue the roof on a frame which you can clamp it on to in order to dry. Then slip it inside the wagon glue down and use a bit of filler if necessary to fill any holes.

Can you not use Araldite with resin? It gives you a bit more time to adjust things.

When I'm gluing roofs on vans i lay two lolly sticks lengthways along each long edge. Then I put a cocktail stick under each end, outboard of the wheels and loop elastic bands over them so they pull the roof down. Spread the elastic bands so they pull at different places on the lolly sticks and the sticks will spread the downward force along the roof. You could do this then lift each edge slightly and run the superglue underneath, I suppose. You do also need upwards of four hands to do it but once you've got the knack it's not too fiddly.

• RMweb Premium

Can you not use Araldite with resin? It gives you a bit more time to adjust things.

When I'm gluing roofs on vans i lay two lolly sticks lengthways along each long edge. Then I put a cocktail stick under each end, outboard of the wheels and loop elastic bands over them so they pull the roof down. Spread the elastic bands so they pull at different places on the lolly sticks and the sticks will spread the downward force along the roof. You could do this then lift each edge slightly and run the superglue underneath, I suppose. You do also need upwards of four hands to do it but once you've got the knack it's not too fiddly.

Great idea. I will use araldite and the sticks and bands.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The roof is on - I used the "araldite, lolly sticks and bands" method as discussed above. Worked a treat. Van is now painted, lettered, and weathered, and ready to stand idle at the end of the van kip next to the slightly rusting, jaded old sand van. Photos will follow - they are on the home PC - I usually "RM Web" at work.

Archived