Lancaster Green Ayre - The Barn Owls have returned.

jamie92208

• RMweb Premium

I used to know Stanley Ferry well, but haven't been there since the late 70s.  Would you be planing on modelling both set of basins and the canal workshops ?

Adrian

No, only the Tom Pudding Basin and forget the workshops.  The whole idea is an interesting set up that would go into an estate car, in 7mm of course.

Jamie

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a very wet village. No upload last night due to server problems so here is a the latest missive.

Work has continued on the tramway and roadway at the east end of the layout. The four boards that I had up at church last week are now in the clubrooms. Skerton Bridge is now all surfaced and it's pavements are covered in DAS. The flood relief portal have been cut and now need detailing.

160216-1.jpg.304dd1c6b267c595e9edfbe024ec4d7b.jpg

The whole of the tram track has been laid and work is now ongoing to lay the mounting board on which the road surface will be laid.

160216-2.jpg.7283cfdf8237bea56e3100432d6804a8.jpg

160216-3.jpg.ad7e77daad5ba1f105df5d3c1571e007.jpg

This view shows the northbound exit from Skerton bridge.

160216-4.jpg.6c149c50c140818864a7e8be0b42a5ad.jpg

Hopefully tonight more progress will be made. This is the main area of the layout that still has exposed bare foam and other materials and Nottingham is just 3 weeks ahead.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

It is a small world my grandparents were tenants of the Ferry Inn which last time I went by was still there but serving rather more than pickled eggs and hot pork pies and peas.

Thanks for that Mick, I take it that The Ferry Inn was near Skerton Bridge.

Jamie

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It has changed https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Stanley+Ferry+Marina/@53.7024373,-1.4652229,3a,75y,180h,90t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1szDBr3EPM-3F72qzwSK2FuA!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo3.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DzDBr3EPM-3F72qzwSK2FuA%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D124.35658%26pitch%3D0!7i13312!8i6656!4m2!3m1!1s0x487967bf3b3047f1:0x774a8b4069fb2b0e!6m1!1e1

The coal drops were at the top of the hill still there in the sixties we used to go over to help my Grandma after my Grandad died she continued to run the pub until looking after her own Mum took priority. There was an oil depot there as well but I don't remember tankers only Tom Puddings wobbling along behind a tug.

Edited by skipepsi

• RMweb Premium

It has changed https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Stanley+Ferry+Marina/@53.7024373,-1.4652229,3a,75y,180h,90t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1szDBr3EPM-3F72qzwSK2FuA!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo3.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DzDBr3EPM-3F72qzwSK2FuA%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D124.35658%26pitch%3D0!7i13312!8i6656!4m2!3m1!1s0x487967bf3b3047f1:0x774a8b4069fb2b0e!6m1!1e1

The coal drops were at the top of the hill still there in the sixties we used to go over to help my Grandma after my Grandad died she continued to run the pub until looking after her own Mum took priority. There was an oil depot there as well but I don't remember tankers only Tom Puddings wobbling along behind a tug.

That makes sense now Mike.  I thought you were talking about a Ferry Inn at Lancaster.    I now realise you were talking of Stanley Ferry.  Yes there is still a pub there but very much modern and catering to the marina trade.   I don't remember Tom Puddings apart from some laid up at Castleford but did see the bif pans that fitted the barge lift at Ferrybridge.

The oil depot on the Aire is still going at Fleet Lane accessed from Woodlesford.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

Another day with some more progress.   I did a bit more scribing of cobbles in the afternoon then af6er tea collected Tony and went down to the clubrooms.   Tony has been working on gates for the coal yard and other areas at home and last night was the first opportunity for a trial fit.

160217-1.jpg.20d2dc89dfbf6c7a82adcdbb2584e3ad.jpg

They do look rather good but haven't been weathered and painted yet.

The view from the inside with a building plonked looks rather nice.

160217-2.jpg.78655ddfbbeefc96f1937a82cb534374.jpg

We have  a lot of detailing to do in the coal yard in due course with piles of cola, many carts, several small buildings and people to add but this makes it start to look good.

I spent the evening progressing with the roadway but the first job was to fit the sides and floor to the flood relief arch on Skerton Bridge.  This is the result.  

160217-3.jpg.7ffce0843cf5a663e576126a35210f2a.jpg

I discovered on my visit last week that the floor rises by 6" in the centre, presumably to make it drain quickly, so the mounting board floor has to do the same. Photographing it isn't easy but this was the best that I could do.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from a rather windy village.  Much work was done last night.  I did some trackwork building the little overruns on the far side of the turntable.  2 of the four are easy with short pieces of track but the other four need frogs building s the tracks are close together.  Close examination of photos shows that there is an earth banking between these tail tracks and the wall so Mike spent time doing several jobs, such as painting buffer stops, then marked and cut two pieces of foam to make the foundation for the earth banking.   This was glued down and will be covered with Hydrocal on Monday. 

Tony continued laying mounting board for road surface and Dave and Sam put a layer of DAS on the pavements leading up to Skerton Bridge.  That area is starting to look a lot better. 

Then we spent the rest of the evening taking  boards down and crating up to clear the meeting room as there is a talk on Monday. 

Today I've brought two more crates home plus various control panels, wiring looms etc.  The aim is to ut up part of the shed area at Church and connect up all 4 control panels and gve the electrics a good test and cure niggling faults like LED's that have blown etc.

I've just spent a pleasant hour marking out stonework on the water tower then painting the panels on the tank.   These will be painted in the colours discovered on the tank at Settle by Mark Rand.  Namely Brunswick Green surround with the decorative panel in Denby Pottery Cream. 

160220-1.jpg.4ff27e05d8e999c6c2d1e03eb49e0849.jpg

The cream will be added tomorrow then I will attempt to add the vermillion line round the beading between the two colours.

Our outing to Nottingham is fast approaching and unfortunately due to illness and family commitments I am short of operators.  If any readers of this thread fancy a weekend operating at Nottingham, or could even come and help for a day or two on either the Friday, Saturday or Sunday, help would be very much appreciated.  If anyone is interested please PM me.

Jamie

PS Photo of tank now added.

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 6

i finally got round to making the weighbridge office but then after DASing it and marking out the stone work, i realise ive put the ends on the wrong way round in relation to the window side

24541702523_689f709007_z.jpgweighbridge office for greenayre by Sam, on Flickr

ive drilled out the pilot holes for cutting out the door

24872900910_c1426f2c0f_z.jpgweighbridge office for greenayre by Sam, on Flickr

25142186426_c64d899272_k.jpgweighbridge office for greenayre by Sam, on Flickr

Edited by sir douglas
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Good evening from a quiet and dark village.  Much has been achieved though.  I got the final boards up to church this afternoon and put up 4 boards for electrical testing.  This evening I took the control panels up and got stuck into clearing some of the electrical gremlins on the fiddle yard panel that caused us so much trouble at Wakefield.  I managed two hours, logged 7 faults in all. (4 of them I had known about and have the fixes for) and managed to clear all three of the newly logged ones.  The nice thing is that I was able to find simple causes for all of them.  2 dry joints and a dicky push button switch.

Two controllers need installing and I need to buy a new switch for fault 3, the toggle has got knocked off in transit.  The really annoying one is the intermittent short that kept cooking rectifiers at the show.  The recurred three times tonight and a pattern is starting to emerge.  Everything is fine when the lid is up  but something seems to happen when I close the lid and then the rectifier starts heating up which indicates a short somewhere in the 12v circuit that feeds the LED's and relays on the left hand side of the panel.

By then however my back was complaining so I came home to relax and will try again in the morning.  I suspect that there are a couple of terminals that get compressed when the lid is closed. 

Anyway after I'd gone nipped out to pick the boss up from some friends I resumed work on the water tower.  I had got the cream coat onto the inner parts of the panels this morning and that paint was dry to touch so I found some bufferbeam vermillion and had a go at putting a thin vermillion line between the green and cream parts of the panels.  I got 20 out of 4 done before my hands started getting tired but this is the result.

160221-1.jpg.0e257ecff704a94859e9164cd2700b4a.jpg

I'm very happy with that.  Now I need to get on with the stonework and other details.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Another 2 days of work and some plusses and some minuses.  I got the rest of the vermillion lines painted on the water tank this morning.   Yesterday I cleared quite a few electrical snags but was very frustrated by a persistent but intermittent short. This is the one that caused us so many problems at Wakefield when rectifiers would fry themselves at unpredictable intervals. I thought last night that I had got a handle on the problem when I found an anomaly in the power supply to some LED's. I sketched out the circuit but couldn't work out a logical way that was causing the problem. However I did establish that the problem only became apparent when two of the relays in the signalling circuit were in use.

This morning I set to work testing the circuit carefully and finally found the short on the repeater LED's on the main panel 20' away where a whisker of multi core wire was bridging two tracks on a piece of pcb. I got that sorted and everything was fine. I then finished off the last three snags on that panel and moved on to the castle branch panel. One snag was traced quickly to a dry joint.

However this evening I got precisely nowhere in trying to find out why two more LED's weren't lighting so gave up an hour ago, I will resume battle in the morning.

Jamie

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from rather cool village. Much work has been done this week in the church and at the club. Mel and I have attended to various small jobs on the east end of the layout. The shed yard now looks a lot better and last night I planted all the overhead supports on the caste branch and soldered on all the insulator pots and all but ne of the registration arms. I had to stop and have a think about how the wire run for the Caste Branch could be terminated properly and another wire carry on to the up main.

This evening at the club Tony ahs continued gluing mounting board down to form the road surface on the approach to Skerton bridge,

160226-1.jpg.ece7d9bc7af19911f207120b8c0ebdaa.jpg

I mixed Hydrocal and put some on board A6 where the tram track ends and the surface changes from Sheets of cobbles to Hyrdrocal.

160226-2.jpg.7ae0c19130a4ffbfd247c018ac7a72b4.jpg

Once it's dried and been sanded it will be ready for scribing.

In the back room I marked up the overhead gantries for boards B8 and B7 and have brought them home to fit the insulator and registration arms. I also put a rust colour on the check rails near the turntable and finished off the tail track on the turntable.

160226-3.jpg.4cef6ba6dbf858d136be9eac40f5b219.jpg

All in all plenty of progress.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Just got back in after putting everything away and tidying up and even (Don't tell the Mrs) hoovering the carpet. The room is once again ready for Sunday School in the morning.

I briught home one of Tony's sets of gates to test them in position at the east end of the Goods yard. The entry has had to have a short approach ramp built to sort the levels out but with the addition of a couple of small walls this is the result.

160227-1.jpg.dcc57c22a70a7bd891faa7e35b8a9df2.jpg

Later I put DAS over the foam and have scribed it all as stone walls. The low walls will have some spear and rail fencing added once I can find the packet in my modelling room.

Here are the four gantries that go near Skerton Bridge with their labels on waiting for the insulators and registration arms to be fitted.

160227-2.jpg.8f3027c4a6e9783d9a3744c9986a0f1b.jpg

Yesterday I soldered all the fittings to Gantry 20, the largest on the layout and finally plucked up courage to spray it into grey after masking the insulator pots and arms.

160227-3.jpg.d796e2eda430b747ee60b32d689ea3ef.jpg

Despite the rather cold temperature in the garage it's come out OK.

The last two shots show it in position and a long shot looking up the Castle Branch, just need the wires.

160227-4.jpg.6439d842bacf13f7c5064288eda097c9.jpg

160227-5.jpg.cd18d1d5ebd081c3a36a24b93b52c62a.jpg

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Your progres is amazing and the attention to detail ia what will the tramcar look like its a system I am not familiar with single deck ?

There are no plans for any trams at the moment. The layout is set in 1923 and the tramway, which was the last horse tram system in the Mainland UK, closed in 1921. I'm modelling it as a disused bit of track for the moment. However longer term I may have a go at building one.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

More progress over the last couple of days.  Yesterday afternoon Mel came over and gave me a hand moving boards around so that I could mark up the overhead gantries with the positions of the insulator pots. Last night at the club we got the last of the mounting board for the road surface laid and another section hyrdrocaled. Sam scribed the last of the pavements and Steve Foster made a good job of putting grass on the paddocks that are attached to the cattle dock.  

Today I spent some time this afternoon cutting 28mm long pieces of coping stone pieces for Skerton Bridge.   These have been produced with the right profile by Paul Brearley.  

Tonight I set to work to make up more gantries.  After two hours I had managed to solder all the insulator pot and several of the registration arms in place, here are the results.

160301-1.jpg.f01c930461cb663931f1561d782db271.jpg

The only pots that I have to fit are the ones on Greyhound Bridge that Mel and I are going to work on on Thursday.

The most difficult part of the job is the registration arms.  These are castings based on a lovely master made some years ago by Russ Whitwam.  Unfortunately I made an error and got him to add bolt heads where they pivot.  I now need to file the bolt heads off and then drill through with a 0.7mm drill so that they can pivot on a brass pin on their brackets.  In half an hour I managed to drill two of them tonight and made up 5 sets with their brackets.  

160301-2.jpg.493a9d97199141782d7b630d6bd629ff.jpg

Anyway that's enough for tonight my eyes have gone.  Tomorrow I'll try and do some more and  also try and paint some of the brasswork.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Much work has been done over the last few days. 

Thursday Mel and I worked on Greyhound Bridge and Mel did all the ballast walls and ballasted the track.   Friday evening at the club we managed to finish laying Hydrocal on all the roadway sections and smoothed a lot of it off, Tony installed more coping stone, Dave installed the cattle dock and Sam finished scribing and base coating the pavements. Yesterday I spent an hour or so painting the ballast walls and installing all the Insulator pots and registration arms on Greyhound Bridge.   Then in the evening I managed to drill out the remaining 9 registration arms that I needed to do.   Tonight after everyone had left I did some soldering and installed registration arms on 3 of the remaining gantries, only two to go.

This was one of the straightforward ones.

160306-1.jpg.05af6b92c16657b90e9b405f6016ae1a.jpg

The next two were a bit tricky as they cover the end of a crossover with the two runs of wire coming very close.   Too close in fact to install two separate registration arms.  I cracked it by splicing and extra length from one registration arm onto another, a solution that I do have a photo of somewhere.  This was the result.

160306-2.jpg.48e9203b22815ef47d9247c650e060f9.jpg

After that the one where the runs are even closer together went very quickly.

160306-3.jpg.ec9866bfc195bab3f386882ddb31f77c.jpg

These three are now ready for scrubbing with Cif and then painting.

I also realised that sacrificing a casting wasn't  a waste as the insulator end will do for terminating the wire run.

Hopefully some more work tomorrow.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Whist waiting for the boss to return from Asda I didn't waste the morning, at least that's my opinion, the boss's might be different.   I finished drilling, soldering and cleaning up the last of the gantries so that they are ready for painting.  The final one was causing me problems.  It is the terminal gantry, a double one that goes at the Ladies Walk end of the layout where two runs of catenary terminated.  The drawings that I've got don't show the arrangement and the photos that I've got are after the alteration in the 50's.   I had the two spare insulator pots from yesterday so decided to make up something that I think will look about right from other evidence that I've got.   I needed to cut out and drill two small brass brackets, from scrap etch then attached two insulator pots to each. These assemblies were then attached to the gantry.

160307-1.jpg.4235fa599fabb93977938616e32648df.jpg

That's the result and I'm quite happy with it.   If anyone comes along with proper photos/drawings of what was actually there it will be quite easy to alter but till then these will await the wiring train.

They have now been scrubbed clean with cif and are drying in front of the fire ready for painting.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 6

Afternoon Jamie,

I've put a fairly long post on ERs and would refer you to that to save me writing it all over again! I'm really impressed with what workmanship I've seen at a glance, but it might take time to catch up! Thank you for being part of my support team!

Kind regards,

Jock.

• RMweb Premium

It's great to have you back posting again Jock.   I was often thinking of you when I was posting detail pics like those.   It's all Hell and no notion at the moment getting it ready for Nottingham.

Jamie

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Well various things have continued with the layout but now it is mainly small jobs to tidy things up for Nottingham.   I've finished painting all the OHLE and last light at the clubrooms I installed 4 gantries.  Hopefully another 6 will be glued in tomorrow.   Mick spent time adding more coping stones to the walls and I scraped out eh grooves in the tram track.   I've sanded down all the Hyrdocal road surface but the mounting board underneath has bubbled with the moisture and in the cold clubrooms it isn't drying out well.  I'm hoping that it will dry out properly at Nottingham and then the road surface can be got ready for scribing cobbles.   Today I hope to do some work on a footbridge and tomorrow Mel and I are going to do some final jobs before crating up the final pairs of boards.   Most of the boards are now at the church for quick loading on Friday.

Jamie

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

More work today.   An evening session with the soldering iron repaired the Ladies Walk footbridge that had got damaged in storage/transit.   Today I took some more boards up to church so that over half of them are in one place for loading the lorry tomorrow.   Then Mel came over and spent time glueing in Overhead gantries while I added some bolts to the Castle Branch Fiddle Yard so that hopefully we can use 2 roads and do some running round.  Mel then spent time carving foam inside the coffin so that a jigsaw of buildings fitted in securely, including Skerton bridge.  I fitted handrails to part of Greyhound bridge then started to crate up the boards we'd been working on.   This is when the fun started.   OHLE has now been added and one board (D2) which is the start of the western end of the fiddle yard where the main line comes of Greyhound Bridge, has had to have a gantry fitted.   When the two boards were brought together a conflict emerged between two OHLE gantries on the boards.

160310-1.jpg.9a2eb471072e34672c8d6efcf6ce14a1.jpg

The crate ends weren't big enough and as the choir were going to be in the room 2 hours later some rapid problem solving was needed.  This was the result from a piece of scrap plywood that was used to slide boards along in the back of the car.

One extension piece at either end and Robert's your Mum's brother.

160310-2.jpg.193fe3c816521e26ed3dc181b1d0a753.jpg

The other pair of trapezoid boards from the east end of the fiddle yard just managed to avoid a clash.

160310-3.jpg.ed5bcc1f8c96604e4764e708d4770b83.jpg

Anyway apart from getting the stock crates out and a bit of tidying it's all go for tomorrow.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 6