Modelzone QQV BTU Tool Van

WhiteRoseRambler

Guest baldrick25

Just thought I'd let people know it was becoming available; my most humble and sincere apologies if that does not interest you!

Well , I for one, am glad you did. Weather today and waiting for a delivery didn't allow me to pop into the local Modelzone, but plans for tomoorrow now include a journey that way. Thank you - much appreciated.

Thanks for the update, Will go to the singal box to get one :P Though what did they use these for ??

James,

Not sure where this was actually used but I plan to combine my example (when I get it) with my Hornby Breakdown crane.

Cheers

Chris

PS - Good to see the RAF Ensign flying proudly.

Thanks for the update, Will go to the singal box to get one :P Though what did they use these for ??

I am intrigued too. I can find no direct reference to what BTU actually stands for on the web. Perhaps one of our more learned contributors can point us in the right direction. The only railway related BTU acronym I can think of is Bridge Testing Unit but my thinking is BTU will be a particular PW department. There appear to have been a number of different types of BTU vans, including Generator vans, staff coaches, tool vans and so onas detailed here...

http://www.departmentals.com/list.php?l=d&pres=977

A photo of the particular QQV modelled can be found here... http://dennistaylor.fotopic.net/p60088088.html

With more info here... http://www.departmentals.com/departmental/963952

*gribble*

• RMweb Premium

BTU vehicles - presumably breakdown train unit.

There are many variations of BTU vehicles. Some are staff support with catering/toilet facilities. Others will carry equipment such as jacks and slings. Some are simple repaints, others will be conversion with doors/windows amended to suit. As mentioned elsewhere, www.departmentals.com is an excellent starting point for reference.

As an example, a "new" BTU has just been allocated to Bescot depot and consists of two former "Super-GUV" vans with roller shutter doors and a "Support Coach", which was originally a Mk1 BSK.

No two Breakdown formations seem to be the same!

Cheers,

Mick

BTU vehicles - presumably breakdown train unit.

There are many variations of BTU vehicles. Some are staff support with catering/toilet facilities. Others will carry equipment such as jacks and slings. Some are simple repaints, others will be conversion with doors/windows amended to suit. As mentioned elsewhere, www.departmentals.com is an excellent starting point for reference.

As an example, a "new" BTU has just been allocated to Bescot depot and consists of two former "Super-GUV" vans with roller shutter doors and a "Support Coach", which was originally a Mk1 BSK.

No two Breakdown formations seem to be the same!

Cheers,

Mick

(

The old, more user friendly Modelzone website, had a description of this vehicle which ran along the lines of it having been converted and pressed into action as a brake for use with freightliner block trains following a union dispute (presumably due to guards disliking their role being progressivle omitted with the onset of air-braked block trains?). It then served at Gateshead as part of the breakdown train and subsequently went to Stratford in the same capacity. So it would be a match for the Hornby 75t yellow breakdown crane, which is also Stratford branded?

From the initial images it looks more like a suburban stock conversion and doesn't resemble any of the breakdown train carriages / vans my dad worked on at Springs Branch in the late 70's / early 80's, which from recollection were more Mk 1 based stock.

What great timing! Nearly finished my update on the Hornby crane and now the QQV is about to arrive!

Can't wait to get them both raked up and attending one of my many derailments :blink: :lol:

Your break down train will be longer than your layout at this rate Mr A.

James,

Not sure where this was actually used but I plan to combine my example (when I get it) with my Hornby Breakdown crane.

Cheers

Chris

PS - Good to see the RAF Ensign flying proudly.

Yeah I may use it on a P-way train with those cleaning coaches done by Hornby and as a emergency response coach for failed trains point failures etc

Cheers its good to support RAF

James

Guest baldrick25

I had one of the Bachmann QQV (Breakdown train tool van) no 34-625Z on pre-order from Birmingham Modelzone , and didn't get a call or email or anything , so popped in this morning whilst shopping around Birmingham- and they are in stock and on display. Nice model - shame about the service.

Manchester Deansgate Modelzone had none in the display case, and the staff seemed rather busy so I didn't stop to ask. I'm all spent up for Christmas after the GCR 8K arrived from the NRM on Friday, so it's not like I've got money to burn anymore. The Robinson 04 in the display case at MZ was the same price that the limited edition GCR variant was at which I found odd, though if people are prepared to pay that then that's what I suppose they can charge.

The posters in the Manchester shop still advertise limited editions like the NCB 16 tonners as "expected October 2010" which I thought some-one might have edited with a marker pen.

Spoke to Meadowhall shop yesterday and their batch hasn't arrived yet.

No doubt delayed in the great parcel black hole that South Yorkshire has become since the snow the other week (still waiting for three parcels myself, one posted at the end of November). With more snow forecast for Thursday perhaps the black hole will deepen yet before they all arrive...  :(

Not a great time to be a postie, I do feel for them at this time of year.

Picked mine up from Meadowhall yesterday (yes I know, a crazy place to visit at the best of times but the week before christmas with the little one in tow too, I must be mad  :lol:).

They call on Friday to say it had come in but had no others in the display cabinets so it's either been a good seller or they didn't receive many in their batch. Had plenty of other limited ed's on display though, far too tempting so close to christmas!

Ebay madness has started. One just sold for £35.00 + postage, and the seller immediately listed another. Surely some shops still have stocks (or are expecting further supplies) and it would only take a few phone calls to get one at normal price.

Ebay madness has started. One just sold for £35.00 + postage, and the seller immediately listed another. Surely some shops still have stocks (or are expecting further supplies) and it would only take a few phone calls to get one at normal price.

Modelzone in Hull did not even get one on display-they sold all there allocation :(

Paul

Archived