RTC MK 1

jbqfc

• RMweb Premium

got wren today a very good model well detailed even down to two of the window frames been black instead of silver

very impressed

cannot help on what this ran with all the photo's i can find have it on it's own

I've added a video review of the Pullman coach 'Wren' to my Youtube channel:

At the end you can see the complete set of releases together. There are separate reviews of all the other releases on there too.

Enjoy

R E Faust

• 4 months later...

Not a Farish release, but of importance to all you departmental coach fans out there - Dapol have announced Test Coach 10 (a Mk III) as a special edition in October 2011. There's a pic on page 44 of RMWeb's 'Modelling Inspiration' download.

Can't see a thread in the Dapol forum and there's nothing on the Dapol homepage, so a bit of a quiet release.

• RMweb Premium

Not a Farish release, but of importance to all you departmental coach fans out there - Dapol have announced Test Coach 10 (a Mk III) as a special edition in October 2011. There's a pic on page 44 of RMWeb's 'Modelling Inspiration' download.

Can't see a thread in the Dapol forum and there's nothing on the Dapol homepage, so a bit of a quiet release.

Imagine this ad will feature in mags to appear shortly.

• RMweb Gold

Hi R E Faust,

The couplers on the Model Zone Wren are the same as those fitted to all the other Farish Mk1 Pullmans and are in "old style" coupler pockets fitted to the bogies. The Pullmans date from 2008 I think, before Farish had adopted the NEM standard.

It's the later "standard" Mk1s that have the NEM sockets on close coupler mechanisms.

Farish models are lovely, but I have noticed they don't seem to conduct any kind of ongoing product development - and once a model is done, it's done - unless there are errors that need addressing such as the Class 47 bogie ride height issue.

cheers

Ben A.

It's good to have some RTC coaches but I am not sure why Bachmann produced a combination of a Lab Coach and a Test Car as the former were operated by the Research Department and the latter by the Director of Mechanical and Electrical Engineering so were seldom seen in the same train.

Up until the early 1970s, the Research Department had a motley selection of old coaches for Lab Coaches. Some were LMS Period 3 BSKs with a generator mounted in the luggage compartment and the middle two seating compartments knocked into one for the instrumentation. One of the other compartments was turned into a kitchen and the other left as was for staff sitting. There was even an old L&Y saloon coach which was put to one side when I put my fingers through the panelling! I think if went somewhere for preservation but I'm not sure where. The irony of those coaches was that any remaining in service at that time were limited to 75MPH and any condemned one were restricted to 45. Research were happily running round at 90MPH in coaches which had been condemned several years before. They were properly maintained though.

Modernisation came in the form of three displaced Mk1 Dining Cars, which were designated Labs 1 and 3 (2 never got used).

Test trains in those days usually consisted of a single Lab Coach and the test vehicle, there were no extra coaches just stuck in the train for braking purposes, they were usually 'Double Blocked', i.e. they were not accepted into a section unless the next section ahead was also clear.

Trains were usually hauled by whay later became Class 45s but sometime a 47, all supplied by Toton. I think it is generally accepted that 45s were 'quicker' than 46s and 47s because they had more stages of 'weak fielding' on the traction control equipment.

• RMweb Premium

hattons have them for pre order now limited to 200

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Nice. How does the paint colour match the earlier Mk1 coaches from Farish/Modelzone?

the red is a bit lighter and a bit more orange but not by much it is a lot better than the colours on the GWR auto coach test car one

that Dapol did

• RMweb Premium

entered service in 1981

post 42 of this thread shows a picture of it running with two mk1 test cars

most pictures i have found have it testing locos 89 90 91 mostly with Mk3 sleepers or the international train stock

Well luck i found this thread. Just phoned Hattons to see where mine was and they were waiting for a light bar i'd ordered as well, and they had incorrcet card details.

Can any one tell me if it is lightbar ready??

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

Test Car 10 is light-bar ready, in common with the other Dapol Mk3s. I've had mine coupled to various Dapol and Farish items and can see no appreciable difference in coupling height at all. Aside from the numbering issue and the moulded lights (not too much of a problem at normal viewing distance) it's a nice little model.

• RMweb Premium

entered service in 1981

most pictures i have found have it testing locos 89 90 91 mostly with Mk3 sleepers or the international train stock

Thanks for that jbqfc--just in my era so no excuse not to get one!

Isn't the coupling height 'issue' more to do with the two pieces of track each item of rolling stock is sitting on being at different heights? :(

Just an apparent slight incline, due to the camera being hand held ....as the fishplates joined the two bits of track together perfectly.

Try it for yourself if you don't believe me!!

Later;

STU from EGDL

entered service in 1981

Thanks for the info on the electric locos & formations etc.

Interesting to note that the train in the pic has a 45/1 on the front, which will presumably have provided ETH for the Mk3. The class 24 from Modelzone won't have been able to do that, so I reckon I'll give this coach a miss.

• 3 months later...

Archived