RTC MK 1

jbqfc

I picked up a set of Mk1's from the Holborn store earlier this week, they had quite a few in stock. When I went in last week to look I was told by a staff member that they had originally only received a couple of sets and he didn't know when they would be back in stock. Which seems to show that even the staff aren't too sure when to expect these and it's best to try and pop in or give one of the branches a ring,

R E

Mine were despatched on Tuesday by Royal Mail (the day after I ordered), so if you're having trouble finding some it appears the website option is one reliable alternative.

Edit: Were waiting for me on Friday when I got home - superb models, excellent new Mk Is and a complicated livery very well applied. Highly recommended.

All I need now is info on what sort of formation I should be running them as...

I got mine from the Signal Box back in November - a couple of months after recieving the Dapol RTC Autocoach. Looking forward to the recieving 97201 now - anyone know when it is due?

Here is a comparison of the Farish Mk1s and the Dapol Autocoach. The colours are very different:

Picture003.jpg

I didn't realise there was a RTC Pullman coach coming out as well. I'll definately be ordering that.

Would it be authentic for these four to be together behind 97201? What years are they authentic to?

• RMweb Premium

I didn't realise there was a RTC Pullman coach coming out as well. I'll definately be ordering that.

Would it be authentic for these four to be together behind 97201? What years are they authentic to?

both lab 12 and test car 5 where converted in 1972 i do not know how long they lasted in service my research is sill on going

the RTC Pullman was converted in 1975 and scraped in 1991

never have seen any pictures of any of these coaches behind 97201

Three quick, low quality snaps before I squirrelled them away.

Nice twin-box-sleeve-presentation thingie:

post-7489-0-36439700-1295769731_thumb.jpg

Livery application is superb - blanked out windows are spot on with prototype photos.

post-7489-0-99126500-1295769744_thumb.jpg

We've not seen an end shot yet showing the stripes - again, nicely applied.

post-7489-0-72987000-1295769754_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

I've a photo of Lab 12 on 10 June 1981, Leicester, in a train with LEV-1:

25321, Lab 12 975136 on B1-type bogies, LEV 1 975874, Lab 10 975428 on B4-type bogies

post-6971-0-62057000-1304594261_thumb.jpg

Derby didn't always use their own locos for test trains, in fact I don't remember any being used on those that ran to Leicester and up the midland during my time at Leicester in the early 80s. It was often one or two RTC vehicles attached to whatever was on test, plus a random Toton loco.

I do remember the first Class 58 loco on test for one, and an ICI bogie lime hopper for another. Photos maybe tucked away somewhere.

One more for luck - no numbers on this one, but I can read a '45' as if it's the pre-TOPS number on the near end of the Peak. EDIT: Wikipedia makes that 45036.

Between Leicester and Loughborough, Sileby I think,

Peak, pre-BR coach (GW?), and a loaded ICI limestone wagon. Early 1980s.

EDIT: found my notes, Test Car 1 RDW150375, ex-GW autocoach.

post-6971-0-89650400-1304625116_thumb.jpg

Very useful, thanks. The first pic with the Class 25 is interesting for the state of the first test coach (from a weathering perspective) and also the chap in all white adjusting something (what is that he's got there, a lamp...?).

The second one is probably getting even nearer to something modellable with these particular coaches. I'm beginning to suspect that you could pretty much run these however you like without fear of howls of derision for getting it wrong. Simply bung them behind a blue loco, trundle them around and you’re probably about right…?

I think the chap in the white coat is just moving the tail lamp - seem to recall that the train had run round in the platform (it is pointing the wrong way to have arrived in that direction).

Mind you, if he's got a white coat, he's "definitely" a boffin. I'll have a hunt around for any other notes/pics.

I *think* the only time I saw the class 24 was in Derby RTC from a passing train or on display at a Coalville open day.

EDIT: found my notes, Test Car 1 RDW150375, ex-GW autocoach.

Pedantically speaking the prototype (unlike the model) is a BR(W) Autocoach (W233W) to diagram A38. It's BR era build, one of the ones that Swindon built before DMUs took hold.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Had a call from Modelzone Deansgate today to tell me the Wren RTC ltd edition had come into stock. Should be able to pick it up on Thursday hopefully.

• RMweb Premium

Had a call from Modelzone Deansgate today to tell me the Wren RTC ltd edition had come into stock. Should be able to pick it up on Thursday hopefully.

good i have one pre ordered with the signal box

but ouch on the credit card after the 2 Dapol hst

Archived