An appalling load of old tat!

Re6/6

Great stuff all! Just to clear up the most common apparant nonsense usually portayed in films, surely if a train splits, albeit with explosives used to uncouple or otherwise, the air/vacuum brakes would kick in immediately and both halves would come to a sudden stop in normal circumstances..or have I got it wrong?:scratch_one-s_head_mini:

In "Runaway Train" the brakes are applied from the start but the engines power is greater than the brake force so it burns the blocks off.

In "Unstoppable" the runaway takes place during a shunt move where the train brakes are "bottled" - similar to Runaway Train the loco independant brakes are applied but the loco power is greater than the brake force - this was what happenned on the real story the film is loosely based on.

• RMweb Gold

i think i mentioned on the 'unstopable' thread that the 70's movie 'Silver Streak' with gene wilder and richard pryor has some good train footage...especially the train in runaway mode at the end :O the movie is also pretty light hearted being the first pairing of wilder and pryor i believe...

So NSE DMUs live on in deepest Germany?

Yes, DB finally realised that building massive fleets of powerful electric locos to work all types of train was unnecessary when second-hand DMUs were available from Network South-East.

Matt

• RMweb Premium

I once saw The Train out-takes at a (the late) John Huntly film evening in Croydon many years ago. If you think the film is pretty good you should see the out-takes! Brilliant.

In the actual film I just love the aerial shots of the train running through the goods yards with 'bombs' exploding all around.

I also think that B & W makes it too. One of my favourite films, other than The Railway Children with Ms Agutter et al. :rolleyes:

36E

The WW2 thriller "Enigma" featured footage of a rake of Maroon Mk1's, and a preview for the "Murder on the Orient Express" to be shown at Christmas was predictably filmed on the Nene Valley Railway and features their Standard 5.

• RMweb Gold

The WW2 thriller "Enigma" featured footage of a rake of Maroon Mk1's, and a preview for the "Murder on the Orient Express" to be shown at Christmas was predictably filmed on the Nene Valley Railway and features their Standard 5.

A very short trailer of the latter appeared on BBC this morning - it seemed to be trying to copy the atmosphere of the train departure in the film but even in a very short clip the Standard Five was painfully obvious. Regrettably the production values seem to have plummeted in the most recently filmed tv versions of the Poirot stories - another recent one included some of the most atrocious back projection/CGI railway journey scenes that I have ever come across; a great pity as they used to make a reasonable effort with railway stuff even if the boat train from Paris to Calais was on a single line - at least it was a French single line.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='S.A.C Martin'

One of the best train films I know of. Extremely thrilling, and heartbreaking at the end. Great story though, couldn't comment on continuity errors as I don't know enough about german railway stock.

Re :- 'Von Ryan's Express'

If any film / tv. prog. stars a bloke going by the name of (madman) Frank, then, it's got to be thrilling ?....or, ..just possibly ?... Plain Daft ?.

Especially when featuring Ground Attack, rocket firing ME108s ??.

Regards, Frank.

• 6 months later...

A slightly different continuity error, I was watching 'The Lovely Bones' earlier in the week, an interesting film told from the viewpoint of a murdered girl in 1970s rural America - at one point there is a scene in a mall at Christmas with a Lionel-style 3-rail display train set in shot, unfortunately the loco on the train set is in Burlington Northern's 'Whiteface" livery which didn't debut until circa 1988/89...well it amused me anyhow. ;)

Good movie though...

The Cassandra Crossing. Is that the one where there's a deadly infection on the train and they 'get rid' of it by pitching the whole lot into a river? Think about it..........!!!!

Well it was from the environmentally conscious 1970s, when disposing of anything dodgy was as easy as finding the nearest river... ;)

Snakes on a train....no way! I must try and find that to watch! 8) So - is it 'awful in a good way' like it sounds?

The Great Train Robbery, with Sean Connery features a 4-4-0(?) cosmetically altered to try and make it look like a single driver, if I remember correctly.

Fictitious but fun was "Those Wonderful Men in their Flying Machines", featuring the HR Jones Goods as a French train on the Bedford-Hitchin line. Mind you, the French did order some very similar locos.

At your own risk, Sir - depends if you have that much money to waste - read the review

http://www.amazon.co...11782007&sr=8-1

LOL - Ouch - there are apparently at least 40057 better movies to watch....the packaging has me wondering whether the train really is a C-Liner however, and if it is where they got it from, I didn't know any still existed! :P I'll keep my eyes open!

even the older Voight "Runaway Train" movie had a few - it was filmed on two different lines, and the trailing geeps are different depending where it was shot - one set has Alco trucks and the other normal EMD blombergs. ;) Still a crackin' movie though, and features one of the best traincrashes done with models that i've seen. Plenty of techy issues but the drama keeps you moving along regardless.

That's a bloomin' ace film, that is! I've seen it a few times and it's been just as good (never noticed the trucks thing either) every time. I'm hoping it'll be on telly again soon, although I expect it can be had on DVD for not a lot of money.

That's a bloomin' ace film, that is! I've seen it a few times and it's been just as good (never noticed the trucks thing either) every time. I'm hoping it'll be on telly again soon, although I expect it can be had on DVD for not a lot of money.

Shot, at least partly, on the Alaska Railroad, I believe.

Fictitious but fun was "Those Wonderful Men in their Flying Machines", featuring the HR Jones Goods as a French train on the Bedford-Hitchin line. ...

The classic 'blooper' in that scene is in the background... I never knew they built Power Stations like that one back in 1910..?!?! :blink: :laugh:

• RMweb Gold

I agree Martin it's one of my favourites along with 'The Train' with Paul Scofield and Burt Lancaster and 'Von Ryans Express' forgetting about all the wrong 'railway stuff' in all of them!

I agree Martin it's one of my favourites along with 'The Train' with Paul Scofield and Burt Lancaster and 'Von Ryans Express' forgetting about all the wrong 'railway stuff' in all of them!

Yes, top railway films, both of them, along with Silver Streak for mid-1970s CP Rail, even if they did re-organise Canadian geography to fit the LA-Chicago journey of the plot. As always you have to ignore film-makers' complete failure to understand how railway brake systems work!

CHRIS LEIGH

The Cassandra Crossing. Is that the one where there's a deadly infection on the train and they 'get rid' of it by pitching the whole lot into a river? Think about it..........!!!!

CHRIS LEIGH

I thought the real joke about the Cassandra Crossing (apart from the dreadful plot, wooden acting, ghastly child, improbable couplings, US biological warfare research in Geneva rather than at Fort Detrick and of course having the entire European railway network controlled from a single dispatching centre) was that the Garabit viaduct that played the "Cassandra Brdge" is the best known railway viaduct in France. It was a bit like pretending that the Forth or the Saltash bridge were in Hungary!! .

ISTR that the idea of the bridge collapse was that the carriages were filled with a pure oxygen atmosphere so would act as a giant crematorium sparked by the crash itsellf. That despite the obvious fact in such an atmosphere anything combustible would probably have caught fire long before they reached the crossing.

The only saving grace I can think of for this dreadful film is that it was less improbable than Lew Grade's later "disaster" (or posibly reverse disaster) movie

"Raise the Titanic" which flopped so badly (and deservedly IMHO) that it is reckoned to have persuaded him to get out of the feature film business.

ISTR that the idea of the bridge collapse was that the carriages were filled with a pure oxygen atmosphere so would act as a giant crematorium sparked by the crash itsellf. That despite the obvious fact in such an atmosphere anything combustible would probably have caught fire long before they reached the crossing.

Oh was that actually supposed to be a plot point?

I'd probably stopped caring by then...i'd just put the random explosions/fires with no apparent reason down to Hollywood loving to blow things up in improbable ways...

The only saving grace I can think of for this dreadful film is that it was less improbable than Lew Grade's later "disaster" (or posibly reverse disaster) movie

"Raise the Titanic" which flopped so badly (and deservedly IMHO) that it is reckoned to have persuaded him to get out of the feature film business.

Yes. He said the film was so expensive to make that it would have been cheaper to lower the Atlantic Ocean!

Archived