Railway Modeller January issue

reevesthecat

Hi

picked up the january issue in smiths yesterday

has the whole of the 2011 Hornby range- sorry just kidding

Ashburton n gauge gwr terminus

South Devon in oo gauge -some bloke with a huge layout in australia- so envious features representations of dawlish, teignmouth and newton abbot with the sea wall in a 30+ feet room.

Cromer in oo gauge

North Staffs B class scale drawings

The abiding 6x4- N gauge palns to fit this space

A whale in n gauge

Richings park- london transport station

Class 76 in 7mm scale- part 2

Moore st TMD part 2 computer control

A horsebox for O

Feltwell rd narrow gauge

and a few others

cheers

mark

ADMIN: title edited - #1 of http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/27014-rules-for-posting-in-magazine-topics/page__pid__278549#entry278549 (posted after this) refers

I thought the "revisiting" of the 6x4 plans and converting them to a more open N-gauge was quite interesting. I have memories of many of these plans in RM over the years which when looked at closely would in reality be near impossible in OO (far too cramped and using settrack) I am sure there are plenty of them that would have real potential in N, to which the footprint of 6x4 is much better suited. I wonder if this will become a regular feature?

As for the Australian layout - I thought - well some people are just too lucky to have all that space ... but just kept thinking it would have been better as double track - very well done though.

Having seen Feltwell at ExpoNG - I was impressed then and still am. It is not exactly "fine scale" (doesn't even claim to be) but the use of space makes it a very operational and fun layout - I can see it spawning many others with the same basic principle of a sector plate.

Yep, I picked a copy up from Tescos a few days ago. Another good issue, particularly for N gauge enthusiasts with three articles (a superb layout, plan ideas and wagon bashing). Railway Modeller is certainly back on song with Steve at the helm.

G.

I thought the "revisiting" of the 6x4 plans and converting them to a more open N-gauge was quite interesting. I have memories of many of these plans in RM over the years which when looked at closely would in reality be near impossible in OO (far too cramped and using settrack) I am sure there are plenty of them that would have real potential in N, to which the footprint of 6x4 is much better suited. I wonder if this will become a regular feature?

Yep totally agree, I was very interested in that article and it did set the old grey cells whirring.

For N Gauge this has been by far the best issue, but has anyone spotted the (Ahem) 'deliberate' mistake on the cover??? :P :P

Regards

Neal.

Yes good to see that Ashburton GWR - or is it Asburton :unsure: - can make a come-back in RM. Years ago it was the one of the most 'popular' subjects to model for our GWR friends.:P Yes I know, it probably has a modern equivalent in the Rhätischebahn, I suppose :D

But it is described in RM as both a 'diorama' and a 'layout' ; is there still a difference, I wonder ?

Bob

Having seen Feltwell at ExpoNG - I was impressed then and still am. It is not exactly "fine scale" (doesn't even claim to be) but the use of space makes it a very operational and fun layout - I can see it spawning many others with the same basic principle of a sector plate.

Kenton

As the proud owner of Feltwell Road I really appreciate your comments, and I hope it will indeed inspire others when they see what can be achieved in such a small area.

Stuart

• RMweb Premium

I have received several enquiries arising from the OP asking if the "large layout in Australia" is Penhayle Bay. It is not.

The description is a remarkably close fit but I have not had any approach from RM or any other publication to date. There are numerous other large layouts fitting the description some of which are well-known to at least our Australian members.

Thought the article on Ashburton was very good, a beautiful layout,, but would have liked to see some photographs of the sector plate and fiddle yard. One assumes it slots under the scenery in the cutting.

I often wonder if it would be possible to publish the odd behind the scenes photo, for example an under the baseboard shot, showing wiring and point control methods.

I am sure lots of people would find these useful

Agree. Just like, I enjoy poking my nose round corners and over pelmets at shows to see how things have been made to function.

It is not always about the glossy image that the modeller wishes to project, it is about learning how things really work.

Agree. Just like, I enjoy poking my nose round corners and over pelmets at shows to see how things have been made to function.

It is not always about the glossy image that the modeller wishes to project, it is about learning how things really work.

Why assume that it's the modeller who wants such things hidden - more likely a preference on the part of the mag, surely? In my experience, most exhibitors are happy to chat about such things (on receipt of a polite query though, rather than a poked nose).

• RMweb Gold

It does.....the whole wall of the cutting is part of the moving bit

It's pretty cleverly done, too, in that I looked at the layout for ages before clocking what was going on.

Runs beautifully, too, and the scenery and backscene are splendidly done (as they are on Totnes, too).

Why assume that it's the modeller who wants such things hidden - more likely a preference on the part of the mag, surely? In my experience, most exhibitors are happy to chat about such things (on receipt of a polite query though, rather than a poked nose).

I think you mis-read, I was not referring to magazines, but to expos where I would agree with you that most modellers are quite happy to let you see behind the scenes and most are happy to pass on there knowledge. Though I have been refused, this may well have been some rule from the expo managers not to let "unbadged" public behind the barriers.

There have been some layouts presented in the magazines where effort has also been made to show the "workings" behind the scene, but they are rare. It still bugs me that in this day and age a magazine reader is still presented with a layout article without an accompanying track plan. Something IMO that is essential to understanding the layout and the positioning of the other images.

On a separate but related topic it similarly annoys me when the expo guide does not show the track plan. And, no, I cannot just work it out when I see the layout.

Sometimes I think the magazines play more to the fantasy rather than the practical aspects for the reader. While it is great to see very large layouts such as the Australian one, and indeed it is probably the only way these layouts will ever be seen by the public. In reality, just what proportion of the readership is ever likely to have the space or wherewithal to imitate such an extravaganza.

It is a difficult balance but one I think RM seems to do reasonably well.

Archived