The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Any body else got to many hobbies?

roger440

As the title says really?

Ive decided i need to build a model railway after a long time without, but ive just got so many hobbies or rather not many, but space and time consuming ones.

I really want to build something with scale length mainline trains and have the space, but im wary im never going to finish given the time i have. My main other drain on time is cars, lots of them!

Working 60-70 hours a week doesn't help i guess, but this cant be that unusal.

Sure, i could build a small plank type layout, but i cant see me being satified with that.

Not sure what im asking really, just rambling i guess :rolleyes:

• RMweb Gold

Mine is quite a big project for one person on their own (28' X 11'6") but I have no time frame to finish, I just keep working away at it and enjoy the process. It does make me laugh though when people say "haven't you finished yet" when they have no idea of how much there is to do and how much it costs.

• RMweb Gold

Once I was in the position to start on my layout proper I took the conscious decision to give up my other hobbies.

Previously I partook of a fair bit of Warhammer and too much online FPS gaming.

It quickly dawned on me that I just don't have enough free time to do everything and I think I'm happier doing one thing well rather than doing a little bit of everything.

As it is, I still feel I don't have enough time to devote to the railway, but I guess that's just modern life for you :rolleyes:

• RMweb Premium

My layout, which will appear on here at some time, has taken about 2 years to get to where it is now. Of the 2 years probably only 3 months worth of work has been done on it, the rest is work, sleep, and other hobbies. It's an L- shape 11ft 6 in long and 2ft wide on the long side and 7ft by 3ft on the short side. The track's down and wired for DCC, the points are wired but not connected to the panel yet. I had a spurt of work today on some scratch built buildings, but haven't done much for a while now. It goes like that, no concerted effort, just flurries of activity, but it's something to come back to now and again.

On reflection, I'd keep the baseboard area I have, but have less track and more scenery, the more track you have the more wiring and points to sort out. I can see your dilema, lots of space for a large layout, but it will take a lot of time to get going and you may not see the end in sight, and get disheartened.

Less is more as they keep saying on here::rolleyes:

HTH

Rob

As the great man said "when something is important you find the time".

I work 50-60ish hours per week, but am lucky that my employer will let me take my overtime off rather than have it paid - that way I get it all rather than give 25% to the tax man. I sometimes find I can't get to my local model club for weeks at a time, but at least railway modelling is one of those hobbies that you can put down and come back to several weeks later and nothing suffers for it (guilt trips not including), which is one reason I think it still has such a universal appeal.

Hi

I started my layout in my loft about 30 years ago, Its changed quite a few times during that period, Its quite big compared with a lot of layouts I come across 6m x 4m oprox.

The trouble is The Golf, The Fishing, The ocasional day out on the rails, abay, RMweb, Work, Call of Duty Black Ops (that'll take me a year) and the wife has to be kept happy.

I'm 60 yrs old now and at this rate I've another 30 years work left on the layout, I cant see me finishing it.

I am a self employed Electrician and spend quite a bit of time in different peoples homes and Lofts, and you would not beleive how many unfinished and under construction Layouts I come across, consequently I don't get a lot of work done some days.

So Roger440, Don't despair, just do what you can when you can, and enjoy.

Cheers

Bob

• RMweb Gold
As it is, I still feel I don't have enough time to devote to the railway, but I guess that's just modern life for you :rolleyes:

And knowing this Brian you decided to join the Scalefour Society! :D;)

Yeah I know what you mean, you can't have too many things on the go at once. Something that I have found is having a career and having a time demanding hobby is really a no-no, something has to give. (And I don't have a young family to entertain!) Before my Dad retired last year the Jaguar that he bought to restore sat in the garage for 12 years with it's dust sheet still over it waiting for him to work on it. And as he said you cant have a demanding job and a demanding hobby.

When I first sat down and thought about building a proper layout I was still at university, but once I started 'working' 4 years ago I never imagined that I would have such a small about of free time. The temptation to go back to 00 or even EM over P4 has been quite great at the moment, I simply don't have the time to do it. :( (Having said that I have finished off quite a lot of wagon kits over the weekend, so perhaps I shouldn't be quite so despondent!)

Regards,

Nick

Far from having too many hobbies I think that we all need to have many as when you get those days when you do not want to do anything on model X you can move onto hobby Y.

I keep doing a bit on getting all of the handles and handrails onto the NDM6 but then I also know that I have the winter maintainance to do on the car as well. Then there are also the days with the 305mm:1' trains either working on or fotting.

If you go for an interview for a new job if you have many hobbies they do not then think that you look like a proverbial Anorak.

Mmmm, some interesting thoughts!

As you can probaly guess, ive been thinking about this quite a lot.

I think ive concluded that a small modest layout simply isn't going to cut it. Yes i'll get it done, but ultimately it isn't what i want, so my motiovation would tail away. So using logic i think i need to come up with a plan that can be built in stages but be useable in stages. I like operations. This means i can see progress with out too much time being involved but still have the long term goal.

Its bizarre really. When i worked for the railway (19 years) it killed my desire for a model railway, now i work on cars, it has reduced my enthusiasm for messing about with cars!

Of course, i need to finish the current car project to allow the storage room to be handed over to modelling!

Sure, i could build a small plank type layout, but i cant see me being satified with that.

i thought that too, but I've since found that I prefer the smaller layout. Not only is there more chance of the model being completed, you can really concentrate on adding all those small details which add realism.

At one point in my life I was working full time, modelling railways, writing novels and taking three greyhounds dog racing. It was great fun at the time because I had the energy to do it then, but I think the modelling lost out in the mix. The best modellers I have known are generally those who have made it their main or sole interest*. There just aren't enough hours in the day, and as one gets older for some extraordinary reason the weeks and months seem to pass by quicker. I now do very little 'work' and what I do is at home, writing. Yet I seem to have less time and energy than ever.

My advice to the young - enjoy the energy while you have it and do what matters to you.

* Please note, this is my experience. I am sure there are exceptions out there, polymaths who create Beyer Garratts from scratch in P4 while maintaining a golf handicap in single figures, working a 60 hour week as a brain surgeon and producing oil paintings that get hung in the Royal Academy. I just haven't met them yet.

Yes, I know the feeling. Apart from Model Railways i also play darts on a Friday night so that needs a bit of practise. I go fishing, though only in the milder weather. Take a lot of time with my boys football team U14s. Attend a 'slot' car racing club some Tuesday nights, cars need preparing and have to keep her who must be obeyed amused as well. How did i ever find time to go to work. Trouble is now, not enough money. There's always something isn't there.B)

i thought that too, but I've since found that I prefer the smaller layout. Not only is there more chance of the model being completed, you can really concentrate on adding all those small details which add realism.

Not for me though. I really want to recreate a "railway", not, for example a depot. Your right about the detail of course, but i take the view that i set a standard which i can achieve consistently, albeit that it may be a bit lower than i could otherwise achieve with unlinited time and/or a smaller layout.

I do have a bit of a problem in that whatever i do, i have to do it "full on".

Guest dilbert

I do have a bit of a problem in that whatever i do, i have to do it "full on".

Then could you please maybe realise that capitalising the first person singular from your statement "i" into 'I' would probably induce more interest (moreso from the old pharts B) ) - a general remark about forum life rather than anything that could be construed otherwise... dilbert

If I could only give up the internet I might get something done.

Work, DIY, gardening, cars, and the odd fishing trip fill my time. I felt I had to give up wargaming as it just took too much time and effort and to be honest I think I kind of lost interest in it. My railway passion is alive and well but for now at least I've recently chosen to confine my activity to dreaming/planing, visiting heritage railways and model shows, reading/researching and this forum.

If we move house, which may happen in a few years time, I am promised a railway room. I actually think I may not get around to building a layout until I retire or rather semi-retire as I can't see me or many of my generation actually being able to afford to totally retire ever. Sad but probably true, although that's another thread altogether.

If I could only give up the internet I might get something done.

Work, DIY, gardening, cars, and the odd fishing trip fill my time. I felt I had to give up wargaming as it just took too much time and effort and to be honest I think I kind of lost interest in it. My railway passion is alive and well but for now at least I've recently chosen to confine my activity to dreaming/planing, visiting heritage railways and model shows, reading/researching and this forum.

If we move house, which may happen in a few years time, I am promised a railway room. I actually think I may not get around to building a layout until I retire or rather semi-retire as I can't see me or many of my generation actually being able to afford to totally retire ever. Sad but probably true, although that's another thread altogether.

Yes the internet! The greatest use of spare time ever devised! I wont call it a waste as it is truly useful at the same time, but the time just disappears!

I agree entirely re the retirement, but like you say, thats for another thread.

Then could you please maybe realise that capitalising the first person singular from your statement "i" into 'I' would probably induce more interest (moreso from the old pharts B) ) - a general remark about forum life rather than anything that could be construed otherwise... dilbert

Errrrr, OK! :rolleyes:

Well, i think Dilbert might have a point, so in future i will make sure i only use lower case "i"'s when he is around.

:D

It could be worse I could be using this modern "i is" rather than "i am" method of mangling the English language.

Guest dilbert

Well, i think Dilbert might have a point, so in future i will make sure i only use lower case "i"'s when he is around.

It could be worse I could be using this modern "i is" rather than "i am" method of mangling the English language.

Oi, it's dilbert, and the reason for this should be (I hope), obvious... dilbert B)

I suspect this applies to lots of people. I'm heavily into classic cars & run a Porsche group & I'm the vice chair for TIPEC (The independent Porsche Enthusiasts Club), have a Porsche 944 which needs more work than I have time & enthusiasm. I fly r/c model aircraft & typically renew my membership every year which is around £100 & then not flying! So in 2010 I decided not to renew & save the dosh. I'm also interested in Trams & have been collecting bits to build an N gauge European layout for a while. Aside from work in a fit of lunacy I started major DIY on the garage, which has killed all the activity on the above!:blink:

I also travel extensively for work so all around not enough hours in the day......:mellow:

I also find the internet tends to draw me away from everything.!going

Errrrr, OK! :rolleyes:

Order, order! dilbert has a point here guys .. I think this is a great topic\post .. but if either of you cannot distinguish between "I" and "i" then look it up please.

You've both added to RMweb .. keep it up   :)  

Too many Hobbies? I've got the Haynes manual for a Chevvy Corvette .. not enough detail .. I want it bit-by-bit - can't fit the ashtray!

I suspect this applies to lots of people. I'm heavily into classic cars & run a Porsche group & I'm the vice chair for TIPEC (The independent Porsche Enthusiasts Club), have a Porsche 944 which needs more work than I have time & enthusiasm. I fly r/c model aircraft & typically renew my membership every year which is around £100 & then not flying! So in 2010 I decided not to renew & save the dosh. I'm also interested in Trams & have been collecting bits to build an N gauge European layout for a while. Aside from work in a fit of lunacy I started major DIY on the garage, which has killed all the activity on the above!:blink:

I also travel extensively for work so all around not enough hours in the day......:mellow:

I also find the internet tends to draw me away from everything.!going

:bye_mini: I can help you with the 944 :D Roger at Promax here. You have a TR7 too dont you? Excellent!

DIY on the garage? Ive got that coming too B)

Archived