Dallam TMD

Arpleymodeller

Hello

Although Arpley Street is still progressing, Ive wished to model a TMD layout for some time. I know there are many layouts that are based around TMDs or stabling points but they are good to improve modelling skills and as they are small they can quickly come together. It will be a medium sized EWS/DB schenker depot and the whole layout including fiddleyard must fit into a 4ft x 1ft space. The main features will be

2 road main shed building(based on the Bachmann scenecraft product but to be altered both internally and externally).

2 road fuel point with additional siding for deliveries of fuel to be unloaded.

Heavy industrial backdrop- the layouts backscene will be heavy industrial buildings, this justifies the TMDs existance as the depot would provide facilities for locos working trains to and from the main yard just a few hundered metres up the line.

The layout is entirely fictitious, based 2005- present day. Im still thinking of a name but may call it of Dallam TMD.

Here is the trackplan-

post-6254-010164400 1292591187_thumb.jpg

Construction of the baseboards will be completed over Christmas with tracklaying due to begin in January. Trackwork will be peco streamline with medium size electrofrog points. Ive chosen electrofrog as insulfrog points cause problems will locos such as my 08 and 66.

Regards

Lewis

Good luck with your new project Lewis ! Dallam is a pretty apt name for you and your area ! Is there any way you could link it up to Arpley Street ? Or are you limited spacewise ?

Look forward to seeing this progress anyway ;)

Regards

Graham.

Hi Graham,

With Warrington being my home town I want the layout to be named from a railway location in the town. I was orignially thinking of making an extension to Arpley Street and building the tmd there. However as Arpley Street is in a fixed position in a corner of a room this would be difficult as the only possible space is adjacant to a window. This may cause damage to the track in sunlight. Anyway I decided to make the TMD as a seperate layout as with it only being 4ft x 1ft it can easily fit into a car and so could possibly attend an exhibition one day(if its built good enough for public viewing! :lol: )

Progress wise, I should be buying the wood tomorrow and get the frame built, it will be a 2x1 timber frame with a medium thickness chipboard top. However as all trackwork will be new I will have to wait untill after christmas to order it all. After New year progress should begin to pick up and I hope to have the first testing with locos in mid January if everying goes to plan.

Thanks for the comment and showing interest,

Regards

Lewis

Hello Lewis !

Sound's like a plan very much full steam ahead :D

I live not so far from you and i am quite familiar with your area and what you are trying to achieve !

You have a very good fleet of loco's now, so a TMD is a great idea ! Best of Luck ! :rolleyes:

Regards

Graham.

Hi

Although originally my home town was Warrington I currently live in North Wales but visit Warrington every few months or so to visit freinds/family.

The current EWS loco fleet stands at

08865,37427,56003,60048 and 66068.

Today I bought the wood and this afternoon,with the help of my dad, the baseboards will be constructed. Some pictures to follow this evening or tomorrow. So yes, the layout is very much full steam ahead- or with it being diesels should it be 'full throttle ahead'! :D

Regards

Lewis

Hi again

Construction of the baseboards was completed this evening and I have taken some pictures to show the board and some locos placed on the board to see if the trackplan I originally designed will fit into the board. The dimensions slightly increased to allow for any error. The exact dimensions for the board are

Width- 1ft 6inches

Length- 4ft 9inches

Here are the first pictures

Underside of baseboard showing 2x1 frame

post-6254-005244200 1292698031_thumb.jpg

Some locos placed to get an impression of what can fit onto the board-still havent ordered any trackwork yet.

post-6254-012489400 1292698107_thumb.jpg

The removable legs are to be built next week although Im not attaching the backscene boards untill trackwork and scenery is complete as I will need to acess all corners.

Regards

Lewis

Hi

Progress report

The baseboards removable legs will be built by this Friday. Also there have a few alterations with the current 4ft x 1ft board to be fully scenic. Im going to built a removable fiddleyard wich will be attatched via nut and wing bolts. The new fiddle yard board will be 1ft 6inch x 1 ft so can accomodate a large loco or smaller loco and TTA fuel tank. It will be a cassette style fiddle yard.

Also the trackplan has been altered slightly with a longer fueling point sidings.

Final design trackplan

post-6254-0-76064900-1292885208_thumb.jpg

Here is a quick diagram of the cassette fiddle yard-this will have a few cassesstes to store 1 loco on each.

post-6254-0-02043000-1292885555_thumb.jpg

This gives a total length of 5ft x 1ft

Regards

Lewis

Progress Report

Today and Thursday I built the removable legs for the layout. They have been made from 2x2 timber and they have been designed so they can be removed and broken down into individual parts making transporting the layout a doddle. This has been achieved by using bolts instead of screws to connect the 2 sets of legs and there connecting pieces. The result is a very strudy base for the layout. Extra bracing between the two sets of legs was needed to stop the whole baseboard moving sideways.

Here are the pictures...

The frame showing the bracing to keep the two sets of legs together-

post-6254-0-79658800-1293207821_thumb.jpg

I also added some extra pieces of 2x1 to stop the top of the legs from moving-

post-6254-0-97304100-1293207990_thumb.jpg

Here is the bolts which keep the whole structure together-

post-6254-0-33889800-1293208141_thumb.jpg

post-6254-0-12689200-1293208214_thumb.jpg

Finally a last picture of some locos testing out their new sorroundings-

post-6254-0-64491900-1293208368_thumb.jpg

Thats all that will be done with the layout untill after New Year. With the baseboards built(bar the cassette fiddleyard) the real modelling can begin B)

Merry Christmas to all RM web members !!! :drink_mini:

Regards

Lewis

Hi Class66

Yeah Im really looking forward to getting the cork and track down and start wiring up. Im currently considering buying another Cl60,it would fit in perfectly on Dallam. More pictures in the coming fortnight,by then I should have progressed with the trackwork B) .

Regards

Lewis

Progress report

Hi, Ive ordered the entire trackwork for the layout which consists of the following...

1x SL-E95 L/H medium electrofrog

1x SL-E96 R/H medium electrofrog

1x SL-E91 R/H small electrofrog

1x SL-E92 L/H small electrofrog

1x SL-E98 Y large electrofrog

4x SL-102 concrete sleeper flexi track

2x SL-100 wood sleeper flexi track

1x SL-11 insulated rail joiners

1x SL-10 metal rail joiners

1x SL-14 trackpins

5x PL-10E point motors

1x PL-9 pack of 5 point motor fixing plate

2x LK-56 loco inspection pit

And the best bit.....

Hornby Trainload Petroleum class 60 60054 Charles Babbage from Ebay!

This is my second Hornby 60 and will be a nice change from the maroon and gold!

054 and my trackwork order from Hattons should arrive tommorow so track laying will begin as soon as I get some 1/8 cork sheet(this is getting very hard to get hold of ! )

And some pictures,

60048,08865 and 66068 stabled on the mock up of the fueling point and fuel unloading facility-

post-6254-0-43517900-1293723266_thumb.jpg

new arrivals 66068 and 08865

post-6254-0-11492100-1293724532_thumb.jpg

post-6254-0-18496200-1293724933_thumb.jpg

overview of scenic baseboard-the fiddleyard is yet to be built-

post-6254-0-09847000-1293724700_thumb.jpg

Regards

Lewis

Hi

Some more progress to report, today I built the control panel for the Elite to stand on and wired up the BUS. The layout is now ready for the arrival of the trackwork(delayed because of the festive season). Im now in the position of being ready to get some serious work done on the layout. By the end of the month I plan on having the trackwork completed and points wired up. Then after a considerable amount of testing with a variety of locos that will be working on the layout I can fit the buildings to see if they fit as planned.

Here is a few images to show what Ive completed today-

Main BUS wires in position, its a real luxary to be able to work on the wiring standing up instead of crawling under the baseboard and struggling! This is achived by the layout top being removable and it can be placed upside down to do the wiring-although this wont be possible with scenery in place-

post-6254-0-20509600-1293911991_thumb.jpg

Contol panel with the Elite ready to be wired up-

post-6254-0-70465800-1293912074_thumb.jpg

The wires for the Elite pass neatly through the 2x1 frame-

post-6254-0-15401100-1293912201_thumb.jpg

My new 60054-this is a stunning loco however the unreliable Royal Mail failed to deliver it intact and 054 arrived with a smashed windscreen :angry: . Im now going to have to buy a 60 bodyshell to steal a windscreen from to fit into 054. I could have sent it back but its perfect apart from the windscreen. Here is 054 next to 048-

post-6254-0-09208000-1293912395_thumb.jpg

Regards

Lewis

East Kent Models (01227 770777) might be able to help with a spare windscreen. They have a huge range of Hornby spares.

If they can't help, I have spare windscreens somewhere - I replace them with new glazing.

Hello Lewis,

Good to see you working fast on this one, the permanent way gang are going to be busy pretty soon then ! :P

Sorry to hear about your 60, it's a lovely looking loco, and i hope she is fit for service soon !

Take care mate

Graham.

Archived