'BLANDFORD FORUM' now out

darren01

Hi All

Just been looking at the new 'BLANDFORD FORUM' West Country ,and one thing that I have noticed is the tender.

By the look of it is seem to have a rebuilt tender added to it, is this right?

All the best

Darren

Hi

Has anyone noticed the difference in the West Country on the Hornby site? It shows Blanford forum with out the plating forward of the cylinders, but on Ehattons site it now has the plating back on!

Why have Hornby done this?

All the best

Darren

Ps. sorry about the poor photos

Both the big manufacturers in OO are guilty of the odd detail error now and again and Hornby have made a small error with the inclusion of the front skirting on 34107. This is quite easy to rectify; depending on how well they are glued on of course, at worse you'll need a sharp knife, at best they will come away easily grasped between finger and thumb.

The tender is correct, the 5500 gallon tender attached to Blandfrod Forum was modified in June 1961 and stayed with the loco until withdrawal in September 1964.

Glenn

• RMweb Gold

. This is quite easy to rectify; depending on how well they are glued on of course, at worse you'll need a sharp knife, at best they will come away easily grasped between

Glenn

If the quality of glue is anything like my last 3 Hornby loco's (a Brit, a Clan and a Black 5) the offending bits will already be loose in the box when you get it home!

HI all

has any one brought Blandford Forun yet? , as i want to get one on order.

so can the skirt be removed from the running plate ?, or is it part of the moulding.

As i live out in the middle of nowhere and the roads round here are death trips with the ice and snow i can not get to my local shop.

All the best

Darren

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Looking at the Hattons photos suggests that Hornby have - correctly - fitted the 9' wide cab. Can anyone confirm that?

Colin

Yes Hornby have correctly modelled the 9' cab and also fitted the correct 5500 gallon tender. The only issue with the model that has been highlighted in this thread is the fact they have incorrectly fitted the front valances (although they are quite simple to remove)

• 2 weeks later...

Blandford Forum has now arrived - it departed Liverpool on the 18th December (But that is another issue).

I put it on the track to run it in... Forwards it went like a dream...

Then in reverse and wow what a strange sound - somwehere between a drawn out crunch and a crack - and then it promptly ground to a halt.

(Another symptom of slipping quality control....? Perhaps?)

The connecting rod/ piston assembly plus the slider had all popped out. What was the problem?

After much trial and error involving bending bits etc it was discovered that the connecting rod on the other side was not fully screwed in...

Sort of counter intuitive - but now it works...

The good news is that it is old style Hornby tech without the fiddly connection to the tender - which makes the point.

The point being being it was much less stressful to diagnose the faulty product - it could be run without the tender as many times as it took for my dim mind to figure out the problem.

Perhaps things are getting a little too high tech and out of step with the reality of modelling at this scale?

Archived