T9 Imperial Airways Trainpack

Oldddudders

• RMweb Gold

Hornby's latest T9 trainpack is now on the shelf of your local dealer. It is a most interesting mixture, to my eyes.

T9 338 in SR (Maunsell) green - wide cab, watercart tender. I have 4 T9s and they are lovely.

Pullman Car "Ibis". Not my field, appears to have planked sides, rides on 4-wheel bogies. It's a Pullman.

Bogie luggage van #2291 in SR (Maunsell) green. I have a bee in my bonnet about these. Rivet counters will tell you all sorts of true stories about its shortcomings, and it's been in Hornby's (nee Tri-ang's) catalogue since the Ark landed, and is thus not very modern in its detailing. But have you seen the prices they change hands for, used on ebay? All those opening doors, and all that planking convince people this is a fine model. Thus it continues to sell well, and supports Hornby's bottom line, which is good for us all. Kits have been, maybe still are, available to upgrade if you wish. Fact is, it resembles the distinctive prototype, and that is enough for many.

Maunsell BCK #6593 (I think). EDIT # is 6583. Significant model if you like Maunsell green coaches. It's the first High Window BCK in this livery! I'd like 3 or 4, and bet I'm not alone. This would enable some more realistic 1930s ACE etc formations.

Sum-up : A mixed bag of parts, not all of which will appeal to all, but for £150 (Rails) or a little more (Hattons & elsewhere) really rather attractive.

Guest Belgian

Hornby's latest T9 trainpack is now on the shelf of your local dealer. It is a most interesting mixture, to my eyes.

T9 338 in SR (Maunsell) green - wide cab, watercart tender. I have 4 T9s and they are lovely.

Pullman Car "Ibis". Not my field, appears to have planked sides, rides on 4-wheel bogies. It's a Pullman.

Bogie luggage van #2291 in SR (Maunsell) green. I have a bee in my bonnet about these. Rivet counters will tell you all sorts of true stories about its shortcomings, and it's been in Hornby's (nee Tri-ang's) catalogue since the Ark landed, and is thus not very modern in its detailing. But have you seen the prices they change hands for, used on ebay? All those opening doors, and all that planking convince people this is a fine model. Thus it continues to sell well, and supports Hornby's bottom line, which is good for us all. Kits have been, maybe still are, available to upgrade if you wish. Fact is, it resembles the distinctive prototype, and that is enough for many.

Maunsell BCK #6593 (I think). Significant model if you like Maunsell green coaches. It's the first High Window BCK in this livery! I'd like 3 or 4, and bet I'm not alone. This would enable some more realistic 1930s ACE etc formations.

Sum-up : A mixed bag of parts, not all of which will appeal to all, but for £150 (Rails) or a little more (Hattons & elsewhere) really rather attractive.

You can buy them separately from Rails . . . they have split the sets.

JE

• RMweb Gold

You can buy them separately from Rails . . . they have split the sets.

JE

Thankyou for providing this Xmas's biggest "Doh!" moment a few days early. Failed to spot that an hour ago when buying the full set. Ah, well, I have a friend whose pockets are a bit empty, and he'll love the Pullman, I'm sure!

• RMweb Gold

I agree that it is a "mixed bag of parts" but toally prototypically correct as I have seen the photograph in Mike King's collection of this actual train and consist leaving Southampton Docks on which Hornby have based the pack (as Mike whislt providing information on the T9 originally on behalf of the South West Circle supplied the picture to them also)

As you say the only shame is that the GLV is still basically the old Triang model.

• RMweb Gold

The ex-Triang bogie van is due for an upgrade, although I have to admit the opening doors do add great realism - as well as great play value, something Triang were famous for.

A re-tooled 'Van B' to modern standards would be great, as would a PMV, though it is probably too similar to the Van C they already produce.

There is just too much serious temptation at present, and my 2011 shopping basket is already heavy. I can forego the Pullman, I might prefer a narrow cab T9 with the watercart tender, but the Rails package really does tick all my boxes. Some hard prioritising decisions will have to be made this coming Saturday, with sherry and mince pie in hand.

:( :)

PB

Mine arrived in the post today : hats off to Rails too, for their excellent packaging, no damage......

Can anyone confirm whether the locomotive headboard disk is prototypical however ?

Re. the earlier discussion about the Triang bogie van, isn't the Ratio kit a suitable alternative ?

Tony.

Guest Belgian

Impresively they are only charging an extra fiver if you bought all four items to make the set. Usually you'd expect the seperate items to add up to much more than that. A plus for Rails!

I fear they will end up with a lot of unwanted GBL vans!

JE

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just before I drive myself completely mad, an I right in thinking that, aside from the Imperial BCK and the T9 Suburban set, there have been no Maunsell Green high-windows Maunsell coaches?

I think I hinted at that in message #1. The 2011 Hornby list, at least as interpreted on Hattons site, does seem to be offering some more high-window stock in olive green, but only one number per body-style is listed at present. More BCKs in high-window config would seem a great idea, although Hattons still seem to have oodles of the three low-window BCKs in stock, so perhaps their appeal is more limited than expected.

• RMweb Gold

Re. the earlier discussion about the Triang bogie van, isn't the Ratio kit a suitable alternative ?

Yes, a much better likeness - but of a quite different vehicle, being a bogie brake, rather than a luggage van. There were similar numbers of each - 120 GBL & 130 Vans B, but clearly the latter were more versatile, although lacking corridor connectors.

Yes, a much better likeness - but of a quite different vehicle, being a bogie brake, rather than a luggage van. There were similar numbers of each - 120 GBL & 130 Vans B, but clearly the latter were more versatile, although lacking corridor connectors.

Many thanks - I'll crack on with it soon.

Tony.

• 1 year later...

I know this is an older thread but i am interested to know who is right, or wrong as the case may be. Wikipedia says,

The class was haphazardly numbered by the LSWR. The Nine Elms batch was numbered 113 to 122 and 280 to 289, whilst the Glasgow batch was allocated 702 to 719 and 721 to 732. A final locomotive, 773, was constructed in Glasgow. With one exception, numbering under the Southern retained the LSWR allocations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LSWR_T9_class

How have Hornby come up with a number 338 or am i missing something here.

Colin

I know this is an older thread but i am interested to know who is right, or wrong as the case may be. Wikipedia says,

The class was haphazardly numbered by the LSWR. The Nine Elms batch was numbered 113 to 122 and 280 to 289, whilst the Glasgow batch was allocated 702 to 719 and 721 to 732. A final locomotive, 773, was constructed in Glasgow. With one exception, numbering under the Southern retained the LSWR allocations.

http://en.wikipedia....i/LSWR_T9_class

Colin

You might try SEMGonline and the T9 data page. 338 is listed a the last built at Nine Elms in autumn 1901.

Wikipedia is a little untrustworthy is some respects and you have just found a glaring error on there. You are at liberty to go and edit it....only to find some card has promptly deleted it as a joke. I do use Wikipedia but never rely on it.

You might try SEMGonline and the T9 data page. 338 is listed a the last built at Nine Elms in autumn 1901.

Wikipedia is a little untrustworthy is some respects and you have just found a glaring error on there. You are at liberty to go and edit it....only to find some card has promptly deleted it as a joke. I do use Wikipedia but never rely on it.

I also never rely on Wikipedia, but it often gives a reasonable approximation of events and data... one only needs to compare it with other sources on subjects about which one knows a great deal to form an opinion about its accuracy. Sometimes the information is lock stock and barrel from one particular source and sometimes that source is unreliable. I still use it for a quick intro to subjects, and it is quick! Sometimes in fact it is quite good. Sometimes it reminds me of the kind of thing overheard in enthusiastic groups of schoolboys!

Rob

• RMweb Gold

http://en.wikipedia....i/LSWR_T9_class

According to The Book of the T9s - Richard Derry, Irwell Press - the Final 15, which the Wiki item seems to omit, were ordered in April 1900, to be constructed at Nine Elms, now a fruit & veg market, of course. Numbers were 300 - 305/7/10-14/36-8. All this batch were provided with 8-wheel "watercart" tenders.

Archived