Next batch of Class 70's

• RMweb Gold

Why isn't it red to indicate that the rear of that train in the section?

i'd hazard a guess (and this is from a drivers point of view) that if the wrong direction aspects were to change with the passage of trains in the right direction it could be distracting for drivers going the other way, certainly the last thing i'd like to see is any signal go red in front of me!!

i've always thought they would be a good idea if there was some mechinism to have them unlit until they are actually needed, its surprising how many wrong direction bi-di signals you see before your own on a lot of lines, especially crewe to manchester

another reason could be they cannot disply a red at that signal

• RMweb Gold

i'd hazard a guess (and this is from a drivers point of view) that if the wrong direction aspects were to change with the passage of trains in the right direction it could be distracting for drivers going the other way, certainly the last thing i'd like to see is any signal go red in front of me!!

i've always thought they would be a good idea if there was some mechinism to have them unlit until they are actually needed, its surprising how many wrong direction bi-di signals you see before your own on a lot of lines, especially crewe to manchester

Simbids (as it originally was) land there Jim and that signal can't display a red if my memory is working right.

• RMweb Gold

Why isn't it red to indicate that the rear of that train in the section?

In addition to Jims / Stationmasters answers (I also think it's a repeater and not capable of showing a red), it's not protecting a train passing in the opposite direction so it has no need to change, the electrickery will be arranged so it's not replaced by a train passing in the opposite direction.

hth

Well....the Beluga Endurance is finally on its way back to the UK, looks to be heading in the direction of Felixtowe from Rotterdam.

Newport after that maybe..............????????

Bob.

Certainly not Newport....well not yet anyway.

Heading south past Lisbon today.

Bob.

• RMweb Gold

Very sensible point Simon - I must admit that this different form of 'wish-listing' (i.e not 'what will they make' but 'who will buy it') is rather pointless in my view. The market for locos in this country is fairly limited and fairly small so any wish listing would soon run dry in any caseblink.gif

when i was with fastline it was hinted that they may have ordered some 70's dependant on how the freightliner ones performed, possibly even hiring one in for evaluation but its all academic now!

How can they possibly name a locomotive with a dirty underframe? :rolleyes:

Looks like the bogie sides have been painted :unsure:

Hi,

The side frames have probably been cleaned and it's the flash and angle of the camera that picks up the dirt and makes the bogies look painted

Simon

Unlit till needed exists over here in the states...been used for years, for example, on ex Atlantic Coast Line routes and recently installed locally here (much to my regret).

Anyway, any further updates on the 70012's fate? Curious and all that...

• RMweb Gold

Unlit till needed exists over here in the states...been used for years, for example, on ex Atlantic Coast Line routes and recently installed locally here (much to my regret).

Anyway, any further updates on the 70012's fate? Curious and all that...

The LNER used approach lit colour light signals at some locations, especially on the Great Central. They were usually "searchlight signals" - one light which could be red, green or yellow using filters.

David

My apologies for going off topic.

David

Edited by DaveF

Hi Guys,

Is there any latest news on the fate of No. 12.

I s it going back, is it going to be used for spares in the UK,

I expect it is subject to an insurance clain currently, hence things will not move either way until that is settled.

Bob.

Couple of questions

What acctually happened to 70012?

This is discussed elsewhere in this thread, and another I believe.

In short: one of the straps broke when it was being lifted off the ship, and it was dropped a significant distance back onto the deck.