Class 31

I think someone is taking the Michael or has got confused with the Mirlees engined heaps as built. I can honestly say that having worked on most of the 31s with the exception of a couple of "Toffee Apples" , I have never seen a two headers tanks, other than the fuel ones. A couple of 31s did have 47 power handles as replacements when the other had snapped off.

Al Taylor

Hey lads, can anyone tell me that one of the 31s was fitted witha 12csvt engine with 2 water header tanks? It also had a different power handle in the cab? I was told this from a DB driver who drives class 31? Is this ture or false?

Thanks

Rory

Don't know about the EE 12CSVT being used in the Class 31, twin water header tanks or different power handle.

D5677 was the first locomotive to be re-engined with the EE 12SVT engine.

D5545 engine uprated to 1,600hp @ 950rpm

D5835 received an intercooled engine set to 2000hp

D5652 was the first Class 31 to be air-braked.

D5500 worked it's first passenger train on 13/11/1957

K9-70

• RMweb Premium

This must be the loco, EE 12SVT is a Non-intercooled and a 12CSVT which is intercooled?! Or an Mirlees engine? Be interesting if anyone had photo or something?

thanks so far!!!!

Rory

Hi Rory,

See this thread on 31302 - it may be of some help.

Cheers,

Mick

Thats very interesting, Maybe a future project I think. Interesting that Hornby chose this number for their sound fitted petroleum 31 which has standard grilles, and thus incorrect, talk about unlucky!

Archived