Manchester Central Station in Spain

Ron Heggs

Foxline Books: Manchester Central.

A range of Foxline Books which include are available from DC Kits, ask: charlie@dckits.co.uk

Thanks for your info. I have acquired all the Foxline Publications and a few others, which have photos and details of Manchester Central and the local lines

"... The electrical supply was carried overhead from lamp post to lamp post via the small bracket shown by the two wires ..."

That's a very interesting feature to model, I wonder how common it was. Something I wasn't aware of and probably difficult to spot in old photos.

Anyway - just to add my vote of interest and appreciation of your modelling Ron, inspiring work indeed.

"... The electrical supply was carried overhead from lamp post to lamp post via the small bracket shown by the two wires ..."

That's a very interesting feature to model, I wonder how common it was. Something I wasn't aware of and probably difficult to spot in old photos.

Anyway - just to add my vote of interest and appreciation of your modelling Ron, inspiring work indeed.

There are two pictures showing this feature, in Foxlines Publication, Scenes from the Past : 16 (Part One) The Midland Route From Manchester, Page 14. The supply cables are just visible

Should be easier to model than telephone wires along side railway tracks, without the attendant problem of accidental damage by the big hand in the sky

Thanks for that picture of the shed location, I was confusing the GN shed with the Water tank next to the main terminal so I was at the wrong end of Bridgewater St.

The Water Tank at the Station was actually at the end of Trafford St close to its junction with Albion Street. But I am not quibbling on that point

I have built the Water Tank building which was just off the turntable. but it will need re-building as it was an early all card model

Another structure which I am about to retrieve from its storage box is the Signal Box which was built over the running lines in 1935, and which complemented the installation of all electric signalling and point/turnout operation. So I will put a picture of it in my gallery when I have checked it out

• 1 month later...

Just a note to show the overall status of the model

post-10633-0-09416600-1298475622_thumb.png

Blocks and lines shown -

RED - Buildings and Viaduct walls - Completed (exception is Train Shed which cannot be assembled in its entirety until baseboards are in place)

GREEN - Buildings and Viaduct walls - To be built

BLUE - Bridges and Parapets - Completed

MAUVE - Bridges and Parapets - To be built

CYAN - Bridge under construction

I have started preparation of an article on the construction of all the Bridge Parapets, which will be posted when the present Cornbrook Viaduct Bridge #2 is completed

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ron

The Measurements are on my thread for the bridge latice work that i would like to do on my bridge.

The Bridge in question is on the other thread of yours there is a picture of it on one of the pages!

Ian

• 8 months later...

Hello All

I am a 65yr old model engineer and build 3/12" and 5" gauge loco, at the moment i am awaiting a knee opp so as to pass the time have been trying to get pictures of all certain classes. I have all 410 B1s and all 842 Black5s my favorites, i am trying for all the D11 but am missing 2 62665 and 62672 can any one help please i see that 65179 says he has one of 62665.

Regards

BR 92202

Hello All

I am a 65yr old model engineer and build 3/12" and 5" gauge loco, at the moment i am awaiting a knee opp so as to pass the time have been trying to get pictures of all certain classes. I have all 410 B1s and all 842 Black5s my favorites, i am trying for all the D11 but am missing 2 62665 and 62672 can any one help please i see that 65179 says he has one of 62665.

Regards

BR 92202

Hi,

Found what you are looking for on the LNER Encyclopedia site - http://www.lner.info/forums/gcr-robinson-d11-improved-director-4-4-0-photos-p22194.html

The first one mentioned is 62672

Cheers

Ron

• RMweb Premium

There is a photo of 62665 by G Parrish in Locomotives Illustrated 90 The Robinson Great Central 4-4-0s which may be available from one of the postcard size photo sellers. I also have one from the BKB Green collection which I got from Initial Photographics. The photo I referred to in this thread was by W. A. Brown and whilst invaluable as a historical record wouldn't be what you would want as a record of the loco (no comment on the photographer just the limits of the film of the time when taking moving trains in non-ideal conditions). W.A. Brown's photos are often available from the Gordon Coltas Trust. P.M. me if you need contact details.

There is also this:

http://steam-box.com/old-loco-nearly-valhala

Simon

• 10 months later...

Archived