Manchester Central Station in Spain

Ron Heggs

Very Small world,!! My first wife worked in the offices at Macvits' We lived in Milford Drive which was just at the top of Lloyd Rd where the bus terminus was, ( remember the 22 service to ECCLES??)

I actually went to school for my first day there on a TRAM!! from LLoyd road!!

I knew Albert road well. Levenshulme North Station!!

I remember the 22 service through Chorlton to Stretford, Urmston and Eccles, this was a single decker run by North Western Road Car Co. and not Manchester Corporation , and the only bus from Chorlton direct to Stretford, and access to the MSJ&AR between London Road (Piccadilly) and Altrincham

I remember the 22 service through Chorlton to Stretford, Urmston and Eccles, this was a single decker run by North Western Road Car Co. and not Manchester Corporation , and the only bus from Chorlton direct to Stretford, and access to the MSJ&AR between London Road (Piccadilly) and Altrincham

Well we have gone totally off-topic here!!

I rememeber well the Altrincham 3 Car electrics, my parents used to take me specially to ride on those from time to time and later on the c3 car Manchester Lon.Rd to Hadfield & Glossop ( in EM1 & 2 country!) ones.

Do you remeber the occasional Model Railway Exhibitions in Stretford? if I remeber correctly held in Longford park, there always used to be some Large scale Trams there and a stand from the Tal-y-lyn RPS

Happy Days

Well we have gone totally off-topic here!!

I rememeber well the Altrincham 3 Car electrics, my parents used to take me specially to ride on those from time to time and later on the c3 car Manchester Lon.Rd to Hadfield & Glossop ( in EM1 & 2 country!) ones.

Do you remeber the occasional Model Railway Exhibitions in Stretford? if I remeber correctly held in Longford park, there always used to be some Large scale Trams there and a stand from the Tal-y-lyn RPS

Happy Days

Yes, I lived in Newport Road during my first 20 years, off Ryebank Road next to Longford Park. The exhibitions were held in Longford Hall in the days before the athletics stadium was built. Longford Hall was subsequently demolished. I used walk across the park to visit Old Trafford cricket ground when Lancashire was playing at home

Is this too much reminiscing? Perhaps I should get back to clearing the underbuild ready for the builders. They are going to remove the internal walls and replace them with steel support beams, so that I will have a completely open area for the baseboard structures and modelling tables. Then my next tasks will be Insulating the external walls and fitting all the necessary electrics and extending the central heating. We do have winters over here in Spain, where I live it can get down to 2 deg C on the odd day in December and January

Living in Oldham and commuting to Manchester to work, I did not notice the 93 bus at Central Station. I would have been busy searching out platform trolleys on the platforms to facilitate unloading the BR parcels van and taking the loaded trolleys down the lift to 'halls' benieth the station. Happy days though watching Stanier 2-6-2Ts on locals. Went there in 1961-2 to a BR exhibition in the adjacent yard where a GCR D11, a Duchess in red, a brandnew Electric loco and several maroon Mk.I carriages were on display.

Stanier 2-6-2T No.40097 in Manchester Central with a 'Peak' in the background, mid 1961. (photo by me)

post-6680-0-92510000-1293810974_thumb.jpg

Living in Oldham and commuting to Manchester to work, I did not notice the 93 bus at Central Station. I would have been busy searching out platform trolleys on the platforms to facilitate unloading the BR parcels van and taking the loaded trolleys down the lift to 'halls' benieth the station. Happy days though watching Stanier 2-6-2Ts on locals. Went there in 1961-2 to a BR exhibition in the adjacent yard where a GCR D11, a Duchess in red, a brandnew Electric loco and several maroon Mk.I carriages were on display.

Stanier 2-6-2T No.40097 in Manchester Central with a 'Peak' in the background, mid 1961. (photo by me)

post-6680-0-92510000-1293810974_thumb.jpg

Many D10s and D11s passed through Chorlton to and from the Fallowfield line during my early trainspotting days

Your mention of the lift down to the undercroft has me questioning where this was sited. Was this the brick built enclosure towards the end of the roadway on Platforms 2 & 3 ? This would be approximately adjacent to Great Bridgwater Street underpass

• RMweb Premium

If you don't mind me asking when was the last time you saw a D10 at Chorlton? I'm planning a 2mm scale model of Chorlton as it was in the early 1950s and by that time as far as I've been able to find out the only Directors seen there were Heaton Mersey's pair (62665 and 62663?), but I've always fancied a D10 so any excuse to run one is welcome!

If you don't mind me asking when was the last time you saw a D10 at Chorlton? I'm planning a 2mm scale model of Chorlton as it was in the early 1950s and by that time as far as I've been able to find out the only Directors seen there were Heaton Mersey's pair (62665 and 62663?), but I've always fancied a D10 so any excuse to run one is welcome!

My earliest trainspotting would be in the late 1940's, and peaked in the late 1950's. From memory a number D10's and D11's were running up to the mid 1950's

The following publications show D10's & D11's during the late 1940's and early 1950's

Foxline - Scenes from the Past: 3 - Manchester Railway Termini - E.M.Johnson (Unfortunately this publication has no page numbers, and only some pictures have reference numbers)

Manchester Central 1948. - D10 Director 2655 (62655) The Earl of Kerry

64. Central 26th May 1954 - D10 Director 62653 Sir Edward Fraser on station pilot duty

Foxline - Scenes from the Past: 48 - Manchester Central Station and the Great Northern Railway Goods Warehouse - E.M.Johnson

Page 39 - Manchester Central, 1950's - D10 Director 62650 Prince Henry

Page 48 - Manchester Central, 1950's - D11 Director 62669 Ypres

Page 49 - Manchester Central, early 1950's - D11 Director 62664 Princess Mary

Page 70 - Trafford Park Junction, early 1950's - D10 Director 62659 Worsley Taylor

It would appear from the early 1950's the Directors were used mainly on the Central to Chester line, and increasingly on station pilot duties

So far no photographs through Chorlton or on the Fallowfield line. If any do come to light I will advise you

For your interest, there is a photograph of J10 - 65179 at Chorlton in c.1951 on page 42 of Scenes from the Past: 16 (Part One). You may have already seen this

Last post re D10 etc has jogged a memory,,

was the Chorlton station named Chorlton Wilbraham Road? I seem to remember it just off a small section of old dual carriageway between Princess Road and Nell Lane!! (22 bus route)

A few years back I had an insurance claim, the chap that came to see me was a Model & Railway entusiast AND an artist, he mostly did B&W not sure of the correct description but I think it may be Scratchboard??? Pics which he then photocopied. I beleive that he did the pics from phots he had taken.

He actually gave me a load of his pics and I framed some! The subjects were various but mainly of subjects in the Manchester area, The period seemed to be around the nationalisation and just after as some locos had for example an M prefix to the LMS number. There were no pics of BR Standard locos.

One was titled Director at Wilbraham Road Station, Unfortunately I cannot recall any other details, But it may help to pinpoint a time period?

Hope this helps

Last post re D10 etc has jogged a memory,,

was the Chorlton station named Chorlton Wilbraham Road? I seem to remember it just off a small section of old dual carriageway between Princess Road and Nell Lane!! (22 bus route)

A few years back I had an insurance claim, the chap that came to see me was a Model & Railway entusiast AND an artist, he mostly did B&W not sure of the correct description but I think it may be Scratchboard??? Pics which he then photocopied. I beleive that he did the pics from phots he had taken.

He actually gave me a load of his pics and I framed some! The subjects were various but mainly of subjects in the Manchester area, The period seemed to be around the nationalisation and just after as some locos had for example an M prefix to the LMS number. There were no pics of BR Standard locos.

One was titled Director at Wilbraham Road Station, Unfortunately I cannot recall any other details, But it may help to pinpoint a time period?

Hope this helps

The dual carriageway was Mauldeth Road West, going north off this road was Nell Lane past Hough End Hall continuing into St. Werburghs Road with what was Chorlton High School (later Chorlton Grammar School) on the left, and over the railway bridge beneath which was Chorlton Junction, where the Midland line and the Fallowfield line joined, then on down to Wilbraham Road. Turning left (west) towards the station, which was called Chorlton-######-Hardy

The ###### should read 'c u m', but is automatically obscurred by the RMWeb software

The dual carriageway was Mauldeth Road West, going north off this road was Nell Lane past Hough End Hall continuing into St. Werburghs Road with what was Chorlton High School (later Chorlton Grammar School) on the left, and over the railway bridge beneath which was Chorlton Junction, where the Midland line and the Fallowfield line joined, then on down to Wilbraham Road. Turning left (west) towards the station, which was called Chorlton-######-Hardy

The ###### should read 'c u m', but is automatically obscurred by the RMWeb software

WE lived on princess road for a short while whilst waiting for a house in Levenshulme ,..Remember the prefabs near the Princess hotel?

I used to play around Hough End fields, thats where the very first Aeroplane to land in Manchester landed!!

• RMweb Premium
For your interest, there is a photograph of J10 - 65179 at Chorlton in c.1951 on page 42 of Scenes from the Past: 16 (Part One). You may have already seen this

Many thanks for this and the Director info. I actually have the Foxline books you referred to. 65179 was until fairly recently the only J10 I had photos of at Chorlton hence the username.

My research tallies with what you've written. I have a photo of 62665 on a Halewood-Dewsnap goods at Chorlton, but have yet to find one of a D10.

I only remember the Fallowfield Loop when it featured Freightliners and oil trains with the odd light engine. As a result any memories from an earlier era are much appreciated.

When I last went home to see my parents a few months back it was odd to see railway at Chorlton again!

Many thanks for this and the Director info. I actually have the Foxline books you referred to. 65179 was until fairly recently the only J10 I had photos of at Chorlton hence the username.

My research tallies with what you've written. I have a photo of 62665 on a Halewood-Dewsnap goods at Chorlton, but have yet to find one of a D10.

I only remember the Fallowfield Loop when it featured Freightliners and oil trains with the odd light engine. As a result any memories from an earlier era are much appreciated.

When I last went home to see my parents a few months back it was odd to see railway at Chorlton again!

I have come across a photo of a D10 at Chorlton Junction, unfortunately it is in pre-grouping days, which is well outside your modelling period. The magazine article is Chorlton Junction by E.M. Johnson in BackTrack July 2008 Vol.22 No.7. The photo. is on page.430

Have you accessed Manchester Central Library online photo archive? They have a small number of photos of Chorlton Station and Goods Yard. Another online reference with photos is www.disused-stations.org.uk/c/chorlton_cum_hardy/index.shtml

Guest jim s-w

Hi Ron

Can you please put your pictures in the thread with a bit of info about them. Or put captions on them in the gallery as a lot of people don't look at the galleries and blogs?

Ta

Jim

Can you please put your pictures in the thread with a bit of info about them. Or put captions on them in the gallery as a lot of people don't look at the galleries and blogs?

Seconded - there are short captions on the photos but a project like this deserves a bit more exposure!

Undoubtedly some fantastic work going on here.

Over the last ten years or so, I've done numerous trade shows at GMEx and you never fail to marvel at the building, always puts me in mind of a mini St Pancras. During the quieter spells, you do tend to be drawn towards the clock which dominates the whole arena and time passes slowly when you've little to do!

'Always thought it would be a good venue for an exhibition, although parking is always a bit of a pain and the cost of hire I guess is prohibitive.

I have just managed to locate the model of the clock. It still requires a movement and hands. Always thought it was a bit OTT, but then it was Victorian

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/gallery/image/24831-station-concourse-clock-2/

• 2 weeks later...

Not made much progress this last week - Weather kept me and management down by the beach

Station Restaurant building - The three outside walls built and the first floor fitted to stiffen the walls. Windows built, painted and glazed. Just seven fitted so far

Castlefield Viaduct 1894 - The viaduct bridge spans have been re-drawn from the latest dimensional details. Additional plastic has been ordered ready for complete build

Cornbrook Viaduct 1877, Bridge span#1 - The span vertical trusses are in production - 12 of 28 constructed so far

Cornbrook Viaduct 1877, Bridge span #2 - The four vertical span members have been drawn. Details of the central support structure awaited

As a trial build, I have just completed a working street lamp of the type adapted from previously used as tram overhead wire masts

Photographs will have to wait until tomorrow

post-10633-0-18411100-1295277374_thumb.jpg

Work in progress - Cornbrook Viaduct - Vertical Trusses

post-10633-0-78576100-1295277195_thumb.jpg

Street lamp - 12cm high - Working with grain of wheat lamp - The electrical supply was carried overhead from lamp post to lamp post via the small bracket shown by the two wires - These supply cables will be modelled and provide the required DC lighting supply

Have been searching the picture folders on my old laptop and have found a number of pictures which have been added to My Gallery. These show some buildings, etc. in early and various stages of build

(Spot the bloke who's once knocked over a bottle of liquid glue...):rolleyes:

Yes, but a few years back

Now all my bottles have purpose made weighted bases. Tubes of superglue are placed vertically in holders. Of course this was all this learnt by previous errors and problems

An excellent book with many photos and plans etc is Foxlines Scenes from the past No 48 "Manchester's Central Station & the Great Northern Railways Goods Warehouse" by E M Johnson

ISBN No 1-870119-79-7 Published by Foxline Publications Ltd PO box 84 Bredbury SK6 3YD I think now out of print but try Amazon etc.

An interesting station to model. Love to see a couple of photos Good luck

Brit15

Foxline Books: Manchester Central.

A range of Foxline Books which include are available from DC Kits, ask: charlie@dckits.co.uk

Archived