Matto's workbench

matto21

Lovely work on the wagons, Matto. I thought for a moment you'd put wire grabs on the Vanwide doors. Your 37 looks rather nice too!

Dave.

Thanks! I'm quite chuffed with how the mineral wagon turned out. Not sure about the 37 though, think it might be going back into storage! :lol:

Made some progress with the painting of my third Parkside 24.5T mineral wagon today. All the 'rust' has been applied with a combination of a cocktail stick, piece of sponge and a fine brush using brown paint. The patches of darker grey were applied with a brush to cover up bits of the 'rust' that looked rubbish, but they actually look quite good [in my opinion] and add to the scruffiness I'm trying to capture. Still more work to do though...:lol:

post-3171-0-20709800-1297615629_thumb.jpg

post-3171-0-48699400-1297615640_thumb.jpg

post-3171-0-42025300-1297615652_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi James, thanks for the comments. Compared to your blue 37, I'm really disappointed with mine - mine looks more like a big blue blob to me!

Matt, I think you're being a bit hard on yourself!

Have you lowered the loco? This often helps (apologies if you already have!). Also, with weathering you can give the impression on the tumblehome by adding much darker weathering along the lower edge to fool the viewer into thinking there's a shadow there. It is surprisingly effective!

I don't know why it's a non-runner - I know nothing about electronics or the working parts of locos [even simple ones like old Lima models], so I can't tell if it's broken or if it can be repaired. I bought it off ebay quite a while back and it didn't run then so I put it into storage, then forgot it was until I tried to run it folowing my repaint! :lol:

Is it wired correctly do you know? Is it causing a short when you apply power?

I'm sure it can be sorted, Lima locos are normally easy to work with mechanically speaking :)

Have you lowered the loco? This often helps (apologies if you already have!). Also, with weathering you can give the impression on the tumblehome by adding much darker weathering along the lower edge to fool the viewer into thinking there's a shadow there. It is surprisingly effective!

Is it wired correctly do you know? Is it causing a short when you apply power?

I'm sure it can be sorted, Lima locos are normally easy to work with mechanically speaking :)

I haven't lowered it - not sure how to go about doing it to be honest. I don't know if it's wired properly [i really do know nothing about electrics!], although this might be the reason when I think about it. Have you any other pics of your blue 37? How's the Lima 47 coming along?

I haven't lowered it - not sure how to go about doing it to be honest. I don't know if it's wired properly [i really do know nothing about electrics!], although this might be the reason when I think about it.

I thought it was lowered, but thought it worth mentioning just in case!

If you could put a photo of its chassis up, with the terminal side of the motor fascing the camera we might be able to work out if the wiring is correct.

Have you any other pics of your blue 37? How's the Lima 47 coming along?
There are a couple of photos of 37 219 on the Class 31 thread IIRC, towards the end. But if not, I have plenty of others! :D

The Class 47 is progressing slowly - fitted the new roof fans the other day (EE etched ones, very nice indeed!) but progress has slowed due to a new job. One night this week I'm hoping to move forward with it, in particular the details on the underframe - lots of simple little jobs really. Then it's just a case of patching painting various areas, repaiting the roof and new transfers before weathering!

To be honest I've been pleasently surprised how much interest both the 31 and 47 have generated.

If you could put a photo of its chassis up, with the terminal side of the motor fascing the camera we might be able to work out if the wiring is correct.

There are a couple of photos of 37 219 on the Class 31 thread IIRC, towards the end. But if not, I have plenty of others! :D

I'll try taking some photos of the motor and wiring if that'll help. I'd love to see some more pics of 37219 :D

• 2 weeks later...

Took advantage of a nice day to take some photos outside for a change. First up is the latest Parkside 24.5T wagon that I've been working on, still needs markings and underframe weathering but I'm pleased with how it's looking so far. Also I've painted and started to weather the Grampus I mentioned a few posts ago, due to a combination of lighting and dark colours the effect of rusting that I've tried to recreate isn't really visible in the photo.

post-3171-0-80435800-1298724465_thumb.jpg

post-3171-0-67131000-1298724479_thumb.jpg

post-3171-0-28774000-1298724492_thumb.jpg

post-3171-0-32260300-1298724517_thumb.jpg

I've also taken a few photos of all 3 mineral wagons that I've made together.

post-3171-0-38676600-1298724590_thumb.jpg

post-3171-0-24402300-1298724600_thumb.jpg

Finally I revisited my Lima Class 47 that appeared a few times in my Talerddig thread on the old forum. I've not done much, just replaced the moulded handrails and fitted lamp irons along with a bit of extra weathering. This still has a way to go I think, especially the roof, to represent the real thing.

post-3171-0-38069100-1298724758_thumb.jpg

post-3171-0-03734900-1298724768_thumb.jpg

As usual, comments welcome! :lol:

• Like 1

Out of interest, what are you going to do glazing-wise with your 47?

It'll be my usual method of individually cutting new glazing from clear plastic - I usually use 15 thou Evergreen sheet now.

As soon as the various laser cut windows come available from Shawplan I'll switch to them, quite happy to spend a few pounds to save so much time! But I doubt the Lima 47 is high on Brian's to do list!

Just a quick update as i've done some modelling this weekend. First up is another Parkside van that's been completed and weathered:

post-3171-0-65139900-1299433773_thumb.jpg

post-3171-0-83381800-1299433784_thumb.jpg

I've also revisited some older stock, namely this Sand Tippler and Tube wagon:

post-3171-0-51960500-1299433881_thumb.jpg

post-3171-0-78497400-1299433891_thumb.jpg

post-3171-0-44590700-1299433903_thumb.jpg

Lastly I've added some more weathering to my Grampus - hopefully my attempts at rusting show up better in these pics than the previous ones:

post-3171-0-17691800-1299433997_thumb.jpg

post-3171-0-29236400-1299434010_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Some lovely work on the weathering there. Just one point about the minerals- when built, the wagons were allocated to particular workings, and had black panels between the doors with white ( or sometimes yellow) lettering to indicate this. In later years, these panels were sometimes overpainted in grey, as the wagons would turn up far away from their original patch. John Isherwood (Cambridge Custom transfers) does some:-

Sheet BL100 - Transfers for BR 24.5T Steel Traffic Mineral Open Wagons, (4mm. scale, 1950's and 60's period).

Included are eight sets each with LOAD ONLY TO SHEEPBRIDGE IRON & STEEL WORKS; TO WORK BETWEEN RAWDON COLLIERY AND HAMS HALL C POWER STATION; LOAD ONLY TO JOHN SUMMERS & SONS LTD - HAWARDEN BRIDGE SHOTWICK SIDINGS LMR (GC) and LOAD ONLY TO C.E.G.B. EAST MIDLANDS DIVISION markings.

This sheet provides transfers for FORTY wagons.

2mm., 3mm., 3.5mm. & 4mm. scale price is £6.00

John Summers ones were to be seen at the opposite end of Wales, in Brynlliw/ Graig Merthyr to Carmarthen Bay PS coal trains in the early 1970s.

Many also carried a yellow triangle between the doors, apex upwards, below the 'Load Only' details- this was also painted out in grey sometimes.

• Like 1

Thank you for the comments - I really appreciate them! :D

Brian - thanks for the information. The middle wagon [in the photo of all 3 above] has a representation of this grey panel. It's something I'll certainly think about before completing the latest wagon!

James - thanks for the nice comment. Your interest is appreciated as ever!

Mudmagnet - fear not, the roof is dark grey but your right, it does look very light in the photo :lol:

Thanks again!

Hi Jam, thanks for the comment!

Don't put yourself down - in the time it's taken me to build these wagons you've done loads to your layout! A while back I seem to remember you having some photos of some weathered wagons, they were really good!

Hi matt

Your wagons look excellent. Wish mine would look as good as yours :) How do you get such a good finish? What techniques do you use?

Scott

Hi Scott, thanks for the comment!

I mainly just use a combination of washes and a bit of airbrushing. I find I'm using the airbrush a lot less for weathering recently.

Hello!

I was tidying out a cupboard yesterday when I came across an old Lima Class 33 that I bought ages ago – I totally forgot I had it! Following a quick test I found it was actually a decent runner considering how long it’s been since it’s seen the light of day. I’ve wanted a Heljan 33 since they were introduced but due to lack of funds I’ve never bought one. I thought I’d have a bash at attempting to upgrade the old Lima model as a challenge! As with all my other projects it’ll be very ‘low tech’ and probably won’t get finished or I’ll ruin it before then!

Looking at pictures the areas that I’m going to attempt to address are the underframe details, poor steps and rather small cab front windows.

I’ve made a start at opening out the windows with a file [not finished yet] and started on the steps on one bogie using plastic card. The bufferbeam was damaged but looking at pictures I noticed it’s the wrong shape anyway so I’ve made a replacement from plastic card.

Progress so far…

post-3171-0-06385200-1300056196_thumb.jpg

post-3171-0-06177500-1300056241_thumb.jpg

post-3171-0-82335600-1300056249_thumb.jpg

The windows make a huge difference! I think Steve Flint did this with the 26/27s on Kyle of Tongue and they looked so much better for it.

I think if you can sort out the horn vents, that would clinch it. Also you can move the bogie springs inwards fairly easily. Long before the Heljan models appeared I did just this on a Class 26 and it does make a big difference. I can sort some photos of it if that would be any use? Oh, and the underframe should be a fairly easy task to open out a bit. Or be a little lazy and see what spares Howes have in stock ofr them! :D

• Like 1

The windows make a huge difference! I think Steve Flint did this with the 26/27s on Kyle of Tongue and they looked so much better for it.

I think if you can sort out the horn vents, that would clinch it. Also you can move the bogie springs inwards fairly easily. Long before the Heljan models appeared I did just this on a Class 26 and it does make a big difference. I can sort some photos of it if that would be any use? Oh, and the underframe should be a fairly easy task to open out a bit. Or be a little lazy and see what spares Howes have in stock ofr them! :D

Thanks James! Yes the windows do make a difference - my only concern is they may be a bit scruffy, someone needs to make an etch for new window beading! ? Some pics of the bogie springs would be great and a huge help too :lol:

You could easily use micro rod (10 thou would be about right I think) for the beading once they've been tidied up. Peter Johnson, I think, does this and his models look pretty good I think :)

The alternative is to paint it in triple grey (or anything with black window surrounds) and not bother! As long as it's carefully glazed the effect will be fine! This is how I've approached Lima 47s where I'vve reshaped the windscreens. I think the mind often fills in what it expects to see.

• Like 1

Hi James, if I finish it I want mine to be Rail Blue, so no black window surrounds unfortunately! I'll look into the micro rod option though!

I have 2 questions:

1. Can anybody suggest a supplier of suitable buffers - my original intention was to use buffers from the Craftsman detailing kit, but something metal would be preferrable.

2. Can anybody suggest any 00 scale drawings of a 33 that I could use to check my windows are okay-ish?

Diolch!

Various sources for buffers - Mainly Trains used to stock somenicely turner Oleo loco buffers so maybe worth a try or the A1 Models sprung Oleo buffers. Just beware of their normal ones (unsprung), they've not always been the correct shape... Or finally see if you can get Bachmann class 24/25 buffers as spares through you're local Bachmann dealer. I have some and they're not too bad!

• Like 1