Matto's workbench

matto21

Hi Matt,

Good to see someone tackling a Lima 33. There are some really good tips that I have picked up by either talking to or studying the work of other diesel modellers. Dave Furmage, James Wells and Pete Johnson and others have proved to be been great influences on the methods I use to detail my Diesel Locos and take all the credit for the tips below.

Markits do an extremely nice blackened turned brass unsprung Oleo loco buffer, I've upgraded my Heljan 26's, 27s and Bachmann 20s and they are a major improvement on the ones originally fitted. Check out the Markits online catalogue, you need to look for part MBUFOLEO on page 18. They also do a sprung version of this buffer which I am yet to try out. Also, if you are looking for other bits such as pipes and jumpers to upgrade your Lima 33, check out the Heljan spares stocked by Howes. They have various sprues available for no more than a few quid each and again are an alternative to making your own. Hornby Buffer Beam detailing packs are also excellent if you can get hold of them. James is right about using 10 thou rod for window surrounds, it's not too difficult to do if you take your time, and you can make a really big difference to your models if you Flush Glaze them using Evergreen 15 thou plastic sheet cut and filed to size. I buy all my plastic sheet and rod from Hobby Holidays. Finish all of the aforementioned with Wire Handrails (I use Alan Gibson .45mm Brass Wire sourced via Mainly Trains), Etched Lamp Irons (bent into shape using Mainly Trains 75 thou Brass Boiler Banding), Etched Wipers (Shawplan) and where relevant other etched details from the Extreme Etchings range produced by Shawplan. I have no interest in any of these suppliers except for being a very happy customer, though I will confess to being friends with Brian Hanson of Shawplan who is also a member of the DEfine Group to which I belong.

I hope the above is of help.

Cheers

Chris Messer

• Like 2

The windows make a huge difference! I think Steve Flint did this with the 26/27s on Kyle of Tongue and they looked so much better for it

No 27 on Kyle, just one 26 (which was converted from a 33), and they have a different-looking windscreen anyway in that he grommet is nowhere near as pronounced and has sharper corners.

Just a quick couple of photos of tonights progress - I've completed the first bogie step! Fiddly but worth it in my opinion! :lol:

post-3171-0-36035600-1300142804_thumb.jpg

post-3171-0-97145300-1300142814_thumb.jpg

post-3171-0-42176000-1300142846_thumb.jpg

Another wagon that's been on my workbench far too long is the Lowmac that I started during the Xmas holidays - I'm terrible for half doing things!

post-3171-0-96180700-1300142871_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Just a quick update - no photos yet I'm afraid!

Tonight has seen holes being drilled in the cab fronts for lamp irons and also some major surgery to the underframe. The moulded boxes have been removed and seperated and will now have some small details added before being reattached. It was hard work tidying these bits up, not helped when I stabbed my finger with the knife...ouch :angry:

It's hopefully been worth it though as the underframe looks much better in my opinion :lol:

No 27 on Kyle, just one 26 (which was converted from a 33), and they have a different-looking windscreen anyway in that he grommet is nowhere near as pronounced and has sharper corners.

I think I remembered quite well! It was the work around the windows I remembered in particular because of the huge difference it had made.

not helped when I stabbed my finger with the knife...ouch :angry:

I have a scar which runs about half the length of my thumb as a result of removing unwanted pipewrk from a Lima 47 bogie! Oddly I still think that this particular task is worth doing!

• Like 1

Some pics of the bogie springs would be great and a huge help too :lol:

Will these be any use? Sorry but it's terribly dull in East Yorkshire today...

post-125-0-98045600-1300294568_thumb.jpg

post-125-0-39362500-1300294616_thumb.jpg

It's one loco which just kinda faltered once Heljan annouced their's and I'm never sure what to do with it. I do wonder about raided Heljan spares and seeing what can be done with it...

Anyway, hopefully you can see the spring modification. It's basically the springs cut off with a brand new blade with a series of light cuts and then reattached using a variety of plastikard mounts. It's so long since I did it I can't remember which thicknesses but you're good enough to work it out! :)

Good to see someone tackling a Lima 33. There are some really good tips that I have picked up by either talking to or studying the work of other diesel modellers. Dave Furmage, James Wells and Pete Johnson and others have proved to be been great influences on the methods I use to detail my Diesel Locos and take all the credit for the tips below.

Chris, I'm quite touched to be listed in such esteemed company :)

And you've listed all the parts I'd use - there's not too much to making a good model of a diesel the key part, I think, is knowing which bits to choose. Get the right parts and then it's a matter of care and patience

• Like 1

Thanks James, that's a huge help. Maybe you should revisit it sometime and work a bit of your magic! :lol:

Some quick photos of the seperated underframe below, please note this is all a bit rough at the moment and the bits are only stuck on with Blutac, so if it looks a bit wonky, it probably is [but hopefully won't be when glued together!] :D

post-3171-0-67080400-1300296511_thumb.jpg

post-3171-0-00560800-1300296543_thumb.jpg

post-3171-0-91716700-1300296551_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

To follow on from my previous post, here are some photos of the underframe/tanks after gluing together and basic detailing. It all looks a bit basic but I'm still quite chuffed with my efforts! :lol:

post-3171-0-14978400-1300471062_thumb.jpg

post-3171-0-79123200-1300471086_thumb.jpg

post-3171-0-56035000-1300471097_thumb.jpg

post-3171-0-31324000-1300471127_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Very promising progress on the 33.

I have updated and detailed my own 33, but not actually updated the chassis, but may need to look at this in light of what you have been doing.

By coincidence, that James has posted a photo of your replacement motor bogie from High Level kits as a friend mentioned this to me the other day.

We have both being discussing the Lima / Hornby Railroad 33 as an alternative the Heljan version and looks like the High Level kit is the way to go for my Lima 33.

Will continue to follow with interest and looks like you have inspired me to dig my 33 out again!

Mudmagnet

• Like 1

Thanks James and Mudmagnet! I'm pleased that my attempts have inspired you to have another look at your own Lima 33!Today's progress has seen lampirons and a replacement roof fan added, both Shawplan items. Thanks to D5580's post further up I have obtained suitable replacement buffers from Markits which are a huge improvement over the Craftsman ones I was going to use!

• RMweb Gold

Looking really good Matto. Good buffers really do make a difference on diesels.

Not too many years ago this type of project was all the rage, and really the only way to get a decent fleet. I suppose the general shortage of money has brought out all of the old projects that were put on hold when better RTR's became available.

I suppose the general shortage of money has brought out all of the old projects that were put on hold when better RTR's became available.

In my case, well one of them, facing redundency meant I looked for a few cheaper projects. Take care with them and there's no reason why they can't beat new RTR!

For the best of both worlds if you apply this approach to the current genertion RTR then the results should be stunning.

Can someone help me?

I have bought air/vacuum pipes pipes as spare Heljan items from Howes but have noticed there are 2 large [usually orange] sockets either side of the coupling hook visible on Class 33 bufferbeams - what are these and can anyone advise the replacement Heljan part number? Sorry for the poor description/lack of knowledge but I'm really not sure what these sockets are called!

Not sure which sprue they're on but they the MW sockets. You could use Hurst or Shawplan parts (sold as class 47 MW sockets) if you can't find Heljan parts.

Thanks James! Howes only stock Shawplan MU sockets - are these the ones you mean?

For MW Sockets use Shawplan DP47-02 "Multi unit Fittings for Freightliner Class 47's". You get 5 in a pack and they can be easily fettled so that they are mounted as per the prototype (be aware that on some classes the socket is mounted at 45 degrees to the bufferbeam, on others the socket is 90 degrees to the bufferbeam).

HTH

Chris M

• 3 weeks later...

Hello

Work on the Class 33 has temporarily stalled as I've been very busy recently. I have made some progress with two new wagons though. First up is a Parkside 12T Pipe Wagon. This is actually the first model in ages that I've completely brush painted! The underframe has been weathered and it's now waiting for markings and further weathering [plus couplings!]

post-3171-0-09911600-1302342404_thumb.jpg

Secondly is this Fish Van. I think these are really cool looking vans! Can anyone point me in the direction of some prototype pics on the web, preferrably in the Ice Blue livery or possibly as converted to Parcel Vans. The instructions also mentioned some were painted Bauxite but I can't find any photos of any vans painted like this.

post-3171-0-47014300-1302342436_thumb.jpg

Hi Matt,

Funnily enough regarding the Class 33, Ive recently brought some of the Heljan Spures to detail my 73, I think the part you are after is No. 73 if you need the one that is on both sides of the vestibule plate on the bufferbeam?

NL

Can anyone point me in the direction of some prototype pics on the web, preferrably in the Ice Blue livery or possibly as converted to Parcel Vans. The instructions also mentioned some were painted Bauxite but I can't find any photos of any vans painted like this.

None that I know of on the 'net, unless Mr Bartlett has had chance to put his back up and even then, I dont think there'd be many of this type (mostly the later design with GWish roof profile and BR clasp brakegear). I dont think many at all were repainted bauxite, one pic is in one of David Larkin's old Bradford Bartons (and is of an E-prefixed van, not a Blue Spot) and the other I've seen (IIRC in an article in Steam Days or similar) was in use as a barrier van

• 3 weeks later...

Hello

Some quick photos of my [not quite] finished Parkside Fish Van. Still needs couplings, buffers and some more weathering/matt varnishing to complete. The colour is guesswork and mixed by myself as I couldn't find any prototype photos and didn't buy the Railmatch paint in an effort to save money, so apologies if it's totally wrong. I'm hoping to build a few more of these in the future and paint them up as parcels vans.

post-3171-0-93469500-1304448347_thumb.jpg

post-3171-0-50715000-1304448356_thumb.jpg

post-3171-0-96806100-1304448366_thumb.jpg

post-3171-0-15108500-1304448377_thumb.jpg