Matto's workbench

matto21

That looks rather nicely done :) my new project (did you get my e-mail?) requires one in bright yellow!

Thanks James! Yeah I got your email - looks a very interesting project! Funnily enough, I was in Hereford Model Centre over the weekend and I saw Dapol do a yellow version :lol:

Some photos of my now completed Parkside Fish Van. Just after I took these photos I dropped the completed model down the stairs :angry: . Luckily/amazingly it escaped with only minor damage :lol:

post-3171-0-09889700-1305057343_thumb.jpg

post-3171-0-80610900-1305057353_thumb.jpg

I've also resumed work on my Lima 33 by finishing off the bogie steps. It's funny, when I first started this project and was full of enthusiasm, making fiddly steps from plastic card was a doddle. Now it seems like torture!

Thanks James! Yeah I got your email - looks a very interesting project! Funnily enough, I was in Hereford Model Centre over the weekend and I saw Dapol do a yellow version :lol:

Did it have a hole for the exhaust pipe from a genorator?!

I've also resumed work on my Lima 33 by finishing off the bogie steps. It's funny, when I first started this project and was full of enthusiasm, making fiddly steps from plastic card was a doddle. Now it seems like torture!

I think you need to be in the right frame of mind for work like that! Otherwise it just seems like a chore!

Did it have a hole for the exhaust pipe from a genorator?!

Nope don't think it did! Have day off tomorrow so hopefully will make some more progress with the 33 - once the steps are completed the next job is bufferbeam detailing.

I was in a model shop the other week [quite a treat for me!] and picked up a Parkside Vanwide kit. When I bought it I didn't notice it was the rebuilt style with FAT 19 suspension. I was looking at Paul Bartlett's site for inspiration of what to do with it when I came across this photo. I usually prefer my wagons in battered brown and the Railfreight grey/red livery is out of my preferred modelling era but I thought it would make an interesting challenge and add a bit of colour to an otherwise bauxite wagon fleet!

I've made a start at constructing the kit and will hopefully make some progress with it over the next few days/weeks. I'll have a go at representing this van but if all else fails, I'll paint it brown! :laugh:

• RMweb Gold

That's an interesting prototype there! Should look good in model form though!

Are you going to paint the lighter grey / blue first and then add the darker shades? Just wondered whether this would be easier.

• Like 1

That's an interesting prototype there! Should look good in model form though!

Are you going to paint the lighter grey / blue first and then add the darker shades? Just wondered whether this would be easier.

Hi Mudmagnet, to be perfectly honest, I'm not sure how I'm going to do it! I'm not aiming to make a reproduction of the van in the photo, just use it as inspiration - that's my disclaimer for when things go wrong and it ends up nothing like the photo! :laugh:

Made some progress with my Railfreight Vanwide yesterday. One of the challenges of basing this model on a photo was trying to replicate the faded red/grey. The red seems to an almost pink colour. Initially I tried mixing this colour but just couldn't get it anywhere near right so resorted to overspraying the whole van with white. Not sure how accurate this actually is but it looks ok to me!

The roof and underframe have not been painted as yet :laugh:

post-3171-0-77753700-1306067535_thumb.jpg

post-3171-0-56804700-1306067546_thumb.jpg

Matt, have you seen this from my blog before?

http://eastmoor.blog...ading-fast.html

It pretty much does what you've done! Certainly a good way to fade paint!

Thanks James - yes I had seen your post about fading colours - very useful! I wasn't sure whether I could achieve the distinctive [to my eye] pink shade that RF Red seems to go when faded using an overspray of white alone - luckily it seems to have worked out pretty well I think!

I like what you have achieved so far - the colours look good to my eyes. Keep up the good work.

Thanks Mudmagnet! Below are some photos of the van [minus markings and coupling] with painting and weathering complete. I'm pretty chuffed with it to be honest :lol:

post-3171-0-28933900-1306496681_thumb.jpg

post-3171-0-73139500-1306496691_thumb.jpg

post-3171-0-51971000-1306496724_thumb.jpg

I've also started work on another Parkside Fish Van, hopfully this time to be finished as a parcels van. Finding good reference photos hard to come by though!

• Like 1

Just a few quick 'in progress' shots of my latest project - another Parkside Fish Van, this time painted to represent an SPV Parcels Van. Now I know that the underframe is not correct and there should be ribbing on the sides but I've built mine without any modifications and I'm happy enough with it. When I made the Fish Van a few weeks ago, I represented the roof ribbing with strips of thin plastic card. To save time [and found this method a bit fiddly to be honest] this time I cut thin strips of insulation tape and stuck this to the roof - much less fiddly and quite a lot faster!

I've always been a bit undecided about 'Rail Blue' as bought, so have mixed my own this time and while it may not be 100% accurate, it's a shade I'm definately happier with.

As you can see weathering is currently underway :rolleyes:

post-3171-0-41833200-1306770495_thumb.jpg

post-3171-0-68085200-1306770510_thumb.jpg

Now I know that the underframe is not correct and there should be ribbing on the sides

Not sure what you mean here Matt? - the kit is fine as it comes for an early Blue Spot, and both early and late pattern vans were used as SPVs (although the late builds did generally last a bit longer). If you remove the roof ribbing and renumber it, it'll be spot on. The blue looks fine too :yes:

Not sure what you mean here Matt? - the kit is fine as it comes for an early Blue Spot, and both early and late pattern vans were used as SPVs (although the late builds did generally last a bit longer). If you remove the roof ribbing and renumber it, it'll be spot on. The blue looks fine too :yes:

I'd read another thread where some differences had been mentioned therefore I assumed the SPV's were a bit different. I'm chuffed that the kit is correct! Thanks for the tip about the roof ribbing too :lol:

• Like 2

The weekens saw some renewed effort with my Lima Class 33. All the fiddly bits that I'd been putting off doing [bogie steps, bufferbeam detailing etc] got done and I even undercoated the underframe/bogies/bufferbeams and painted the ends yellow.

post-3171-0-35747000-1307991379_thumb.jpg

post-3171-0-19373600-1307991391_thumb.jpg

I was also sorting out some 'stuff' and came across the 'Critter' that I built over a year ago. This had been lying around unfinished so, suitably inspired, I set about doing a bit of work to it. I added a turned [Class 37] airhorn to the cab roof just because I thought it looked quite cool! I also painted the bufferbeams 'weathered red' and the sideskirts 'dirt' simply because I couldn't think of anything else! Just some minor painting and glazing and it'll be complete!

post-3171-0-81156400-1307991600_thumb.jpg

post-3171-0-98428900-1307991618_thumb.jpg

post-3171-0-68461600-1307991628_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

As a follow on from my last post, my Critter is now complete [well apart from one piece of glazing that I need to cut to simulate an open window]. Final weathering has been carried out using a mixture of washes and powders. Coupling hooks have been fitted as it's too small to have the links added!

I like it as a little novelty loco, it's performance isn't too good though - it runs ok but won't pull anything heavier than a few feathers!

As a finishing touch, I've ordered some nameplates so as soon as they arrive, it'll be officially complete [i actually started this on 27th Jan 2010!] :laugh:

post-3171-0-08715100-1308482569_thumb.jpg

post-3171-0-39087200-1308482577_thumb.jpg

BTW the lamp fell off between photos...!

Hi Matt

Nice work and lovely rust effect! As Neil's was Mk1, the 'Kinmundy Kritter' was Mk2 it's apt that is No 3!

Hi Martin, what a nice coincidence! Not something I'd realised but it's quite apt as you've pointed out!

Matt, as I said in my PM, the Class 33 looks really good and the rust on the 'critter' is delightfully subtle :)

Thanks James, the cabs of the 33 look a little patchy now they've been painted, not sure if this is a good or bad thing. I might try to incorporate that into the final finish and 'pretend' it was supposed to be like that! :laugh:

Nice weathering Matt. I'm building some 4mm kits myself at the mo and I'm following this thread with interest.

A couple of questions if I may...

What are your plans for drawgear/couplings on the wagons?

Are you going to fit the engine speed regulation pipes on the crompton? I think it would make a subtle improvement as they are prominent on the real things? Also the 27 way sockets stood out quite a bit... ...they were always 'busy' round the pipework area...

Regards

Stu

• 2 weeks later...

Nice weathering Matt. I'm building some 4mm kits myself at the mo and I'm following this thread with interest.

A couple of questions if I may...

What are your plans for drawgear/couplings on the wagons?

Are you going to fit the engine speed regulation pipes on the crompton? I think it would make a subtle improvement as they are prominent on the real things? Also the 27 way sockets stood out quite a bit... ...they were always 'busy' round the pipework area...

Regards

Stu

Hi Stu, sorry I missed this post and your questions - I haven't checked this thread for a while.

All my wagons are/will be fitted with Smiths couplings, I just never seem to get round to fitting them for a while - usually way after I've built and painted the wagon!

As to the Class 33, I haven't really decided where I'm going with it from the point it's at now. Not sure whether to add any more details or just get it painted! :lol:

• Like 1