BR Mk1 First Open coach info

• 2 years later...

In the early 80's the Transpennine LH stock regularly had pair of Mk1 FOs at the opposite end of the train from the BG (normally the east). Mostly these were the officially declassified 36xx series (ex 10xx restaurant mentioned above) but any of the Heaton, York or Liverpool air braked FOs could be seen; I think that at least one YC coach (3092) had the branding removed without renumbering and several others from the northern depots were as well. AFAIK both the BN and OM FOs remained as first class.

From 1985 the early batches were withdrawn and the later ones (3100 and later) were concentrated in the tour/special sets and repainted IC. A considerable number of the current capital stock numbered FOs were departmental or private stock in the 80's.

Hello - I appreciate it has been a while since this topic was in the limelight but I am looking to model/number a FO Mk1 coach allocated to Heaton depot (declassified) around 1980 - I don't suppose anyone can confirm the numbers of such a suitable vehicle - a link to any photo would be fantastic. I remember travelling on them on Newcastle - Liverpool trains - always nice and warm and lovely springy seats but why didn't I look at the numbers? Thanks in advance....

• 1 year later...

I want a 1980s south west coaching rake for Exeter to Waterloo and Cardiff to Portsmouth trains.

I believe that mk1 FO appeared occasionally in these trains?

What would be the best model to buy for this?

What number range would mk1 FO be by mid 1980s?

Thanks

I want a 1980s south west coaching rake for Exeter to Waterloo and Cardiff to Portsmouth trains.

I believe that mk1 FO appeared occasionally in these trains?

What would be the best model to buy for this?

What number range would mk1 FO be by mid 1980s?

Thanks

The Waterloo - Exeter trains certainly did include a Mk1 FO during the early to mid '80s. Whilst there were 23 Mk1 FOs allocated to the Western Region in 1984 the Coaching Stock pocket book included depot allocations for the first time and showed that 6 were based at Laira: 3049, 3087, 3089, 3090, 3096 and 3127. All of these had B4 bogies except 3127 which had Commonwealth. By January 1985 all the Laira allocation had been moved on.

Edit: As shown by Robert's photo, all the Western Region air braked FOs had been downgraded to SO from 1977.

Assuming that you are modelling in OO, the Replica Railways FO is a reasonable model - especially if fitted with their flush glazing. It is becoming increasingly difficult to find but examples do still appear on ebay.

Hornby are due to release a Mk1 FO over the next year or so (may be sooner). A finished sample appeared in this months Rail Express Modeller.

Archived