Small digital camera advice

Re6/6

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone on here have any experience of the Panasonic Lumix DML-FS10 camera?

I'm looking for a 'pocket sized' one with good 'macro' capability. I see that this one has a minimum focal length in macro mode of 5cm.

My current camera is an 'elderly' Panasonic Lumix which has given me excellent and faultless service. Because of it's age the macro mode isn't what I would like. Hence the question.

Thanks

John

post-6728-0-29116800-1293915794_thumb.jpg

Panasonic have a good reputation for their compacts, although I'd have a look at both Fujitsui & Samsung as they are both doing good things in the compact market. Personally I avoid Sony (but my wife doesn't :huh:) because of their proprietary memory requirements which rocket memory costs.

• RMweb Gold

I've just bought myself the next model up, the DMC-TZ10 and I'm very impressed with it, focal distance on macro is down to 3cm! It has intelligent sensing and automatically goes into macro mode once you get close...

Andi

• RMweb Gold

As you aare already a Lumix user you know to keep the lens mech free from dust & debris, SWMBO got through two TZs before we worked out it was the crud in the bottom of her handbag that killed them. She now has a TZ6 with a hard shell case that has lasted over a year without a glitch.

I would heartily recommend upgrading to a TZ if you can afford it.

Juts seem your post Andi, same advice, get a cheapie hard shell case for it from Amazon etc, will greatly increase it's life B)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Anti-Shock-Waterproof-Protection-Perfect-Panasonic/dp/B002L0N7C0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1294327408&sr=8-3

• RMweb Gold

As you aare already a Lumix user you know to keep the lens mech free from dust & debris, SWMBO got through two TZs before we worked out it was the crud in the bottom of her handbag that killed them.

That's worth knowing, thanks for that.

Andi

• RMweb Gold

I've just bought myself the next model up, the DMC-TZ10 and I'm very impressed with it, focal distance on macro is down to 3cm! It has intelligent sensing and automatically goes into macro mode once you get close...

All these TZs have been good - Deb has one, a TZ6 I think. I think the TZ10 has built in GPS?

• RMweb Premium

All these TZs have been good - Deb has one, a TZ6 I think. I think the TZ10 has built in GPS?

Yes, the TZ10 has geo-tagging, although it reduces the battery life no end apparently. I use a TZ65 (effectively a TZ6 with the bigger screen from the TZ7) which is great, although having a metal body it's really too heavy to keep in a shirt pocket. The FS series are generally cheaper but lighter than the TZs, with less zoom range.

Most digital cameras work about the same,( the boards inside are often shared design, with house software), especially in compacts, the quality of which does move mainly with price and brand. My vote would be Nikon brand, chose the model for the macro facility. Number of mega pixels makes little difference until you jump to Olympus Pen, still a compact, but at a price.

The Panasonic Lumix have a good reputation, good quality lenses etc., so if the macro range satisfies then go for that. Check out reviews on the net, there are lots.

A quiet change in the last year or so in compacts has hardly been mentioned , and that is edge of picture colour fringing, that occurred in lots of Zoom lens designs, well it has been found to be very predictable, and is now dealt with by the newer cameras software, virtually eliminating the problem. Pentax use it, as do Nikon and Fuji, who share some boards, but use different software. See individual review to see if it is commented on.

Stephen.

Archived