Tale of a Parkside Virgin

Thanks Jamie I thought it odd but my research has not got me anywhere, cattle wagons don't seem to have a great following. The only books I've got are BR Goods Wagons by Robert Hendry and Wagons of the Early BR era by David Larkin both great books but lacking on cattle.

Thanks Jamie I thought it odd but my research has not got me anywhere, cattle wagons don't seem to have a great following. The only books I've got are BR Goods Wagons by Robert Hendry and Wagons of the Early BR era by David Larkin both great books but lacking on cattle.

The Dave Larkin book only deals with BR built vehicles during the time period and not what was running at the time. As Cattle traffic was dying out post war BR only built a limited amount of cattle vehicles to a GWR derived standard design. The other book you have is quite a broadbrush look at freight trains in general.

I think Geoff Kent may have built a cattle wagon in one of his volumes but i'm not sure.

The E00000 numbers are indeed the BR numbers due to the E. BR essentially took the numbering of the private companies and stuck a letter in from M(LMS), W (GWR), E (LNER), S (SR) with P being private and B for its own stock.

I have a feeling the LNER numbered its vehicles as they were built instead of allocating blocks hence a list of a few random numbers normally based on photos. The early LMS wagons are certainly like this unlike the later ones where a batch of 100 numbers for example would be allocated and possibly not filled!

HTH

• RMweb Gold

and what measure of weight do people use?

Thanks Tom

I always try to get up to 25g per axle i.e. 50g for a 4 wheel vehicle 100g for a bogie van, I think this was in one of Ian Rice's books. Opens can be difficult and usually end up being about 40g.

Your kit is looking good but don't forget the rails across the openings before the roof is glued on, I did once and nearly destroyed a side taking the roof off. unsure.gif

Great stuff you guys I will carry on with the modelmasters decals then.

These kits are a bit infectious and seeing as I enjoyed them so much, I have got two more to do now.

PC 66 LNER 12 Ton Low Sided Wagon LOWFIT A and PC 45 BR 13 Ton Medium Goods Wagon - Steel Body. Pics to follow when I can start on them.

Worsdell I have remembered at the mo just waiting to get better wire then will weather it inside and out.

Both these kits should just fall together, the Lowfit's a particularly nice one.

I think there's a potential red herring with the PC45 kit - it will come with four solebars which are of two different styles. Be sure to pick the correct pair, and not do what I did and have a different pattern on each side (resulting in a lop-sided wagon :lol: ). Other than that, you can't go far wrong.

Be sure to pick the correct pair, and not do what I did and have a different pattern on each side (resulting in a lop-sided wagon :lol: ).

Too late Jamie rolleyes.gif . While holding it too dry I noticed the difference, luckily the glue had not set and I was able to separate it. Just painted them and will fit transfer another day and post pics when done.

These kits are a bit infectious and seeing as I enjoyed them so much, I have got two more to do now.

Agreed! After the Medfit and brake outing, I'm now well on with PC40 LMS CCT diag.2026 (rolling complete body, loose roof, needs u/f detail and couplers to complete), PC33 LMS CCT diag1929 (rolling chassis with ends) and PC49 LMS 20T goods brake diag.1657.

Once you master the process of getting a true and free-rolling chassis these are actually delightful to build. biggrin.gif

Short update this is the result after fitting decals for the first time.

post-6689-0-07138000-1297085400_thumb.jpg

What are the buffers fitted to a 1960's era wagon of this type? Been on a few detail websites and don't know what to order.

Still got wire for rails to source and glue roof on.

Tom

I thought someone who knows what they're talking about might have dropped by... but as not I'll take a stab at it from a pretty uninformed standpoint. Do be warned!

By the looks of other LNER-built fitted stock on Paul Bartlett's fotopic website, RCH 4-rib buffers look reasonably typical (LNER cattle wagons don't appear to be featured, and aren't in my few books either).

Combining that with the descriptions on http://www.nairnshire-modelling-supplies.co.uk/buffers-for-locos-and-stock-rolling-stock-buffers-c-185_186.html

I'd probably guess at the 1' 8_1/2" 13" head option B004. If I'm wrong, hopefully someone will pop up and tell me?

Nice one Jamie/Worsell I think you got it right. Placed my order with Nairnshire Modelling Supplies and for a bonus they supply coupling hooks, wire and weathered wood paint so should be able to finish off all three wagons soonbiggrin.gif.

Thanks for all the help.

Tom

Well "finished" all three this weekend just weathering and little mistakes to rectify rolleyes.gif. Fitted buffers and rails to the cattle wagon from Nairnshire Modelling Supplies and just coupling hooks to the other two. When I'am brave enough I will cut the Parkside buffers off the medfit and lowfit and fit the new ones I bought. But they look ok for now.

Next is to work out how to build sprat & winkles and fit them.

post-6689-0-28731900-1297597861_thumb.jpg

post-6689-0-89887100-1297597846_thumb.jpg

post-6689-0-97800400-1297597853_thumb.jpg

You're not helping my Parkside withdrawal symptoms easy. All three are looking very sweet, though the Low is missing the brake lever ;)

Unless the plastic buffer shanks bother you, just leave them. Wizard models sell turned steel buffer heads which you can use instead of the black moulded plastic buffer head - this is what I used before the Lanarkshire/Nairnshire beauties appeared. Certainly the NE Lowfit buffer shank moulding is quite nice and crisp:

post-6670-0-69348100-1297600083_thumb.jpg

(PS: thanks to Paul for confirmation of my guesswork above)

• RMweb Gold

Certainly the NE Lowfit buffer shank moulding is quite nice and crisp.

I've built a couple of these and they must be one of the best detailed and crisp mouldings around, the buffers are a world apart from their earlier kits.

(PS: thanks to Paul for confirmation of my guesswork above)

No problem.

I thought someone who knows what they're talking about might have dropped by... but as not I'll take a stab at it from a pretty uninformed standpoint. Do be warned!

By the looks of other LNER-built fitted stock on Paul Bartlett's fotopic website, RCH 4-rib buffers look reasonably typical (LNER cattle wagons don't appear to be featured, and aren't in my few books either).

Combining that with the descriptions on http://www.nairnshir...-c-185_186.html

I'd probably guess at the 1' 8_1/2" 13" head option B004. If I'm wrong, hopefully someone will pop up and tell me?

There is quite a bit on them in a Pictorial Record of LNER Wagons by Tatlow (the original book not the new 4 volume set)

I have 7mm version of the fitted wagon almost complete and I have just had the unfitted version delivered. I am really impressed with the brake gear on the 7mm ones (I never got to doing a 4mm one so I cannot compare). I will post some pictures on my thread after the weekend when I hope to finish it.

Archived