Pen Y Bont Revisited

Dukedog

Hello again folks!

It's been over twelve months since I posted anything on this forum (Don't ask!)

Some of you longer serving members may remember my layout thread on the old Rmweb forum here.

I don't really want to cover old ground agin and take up more server space than needed so this thread will be a continuation of the old thread on the new forum.

Be warned though, I am not a prolific poster, so after the initial euphoria that may follow something new on this forum posts may be slow coming as I don't work that quickly!

I will though post a couple of pictures just to let you see what I've been up to.

Here's my standard class 4 bringing a very short mixed goods into Pen Y Bont.

post-6768-0-25790200-1294070355_thumb.jpg

And, the Cliché of all BLT's the ubiquitous 14xx and auto trailer leaving for Oswestry

post-6768-0-22149300-1294070486_thumb.jpg

Depending on comments passed I hope to post more soon.

Always nice to see Pen Y Bont; will hopefully see it on the Exhibition circuit at some stage.

One of my favourite layouts on this forum, it is great to see you back - definately more photo's please!!!

If my memory is correct, isn't Pen Y Bont's next appearance at Weston Super Mare in ... 2012?!!

• RMweb Gold

Just looked through the old thread, great little layout (even if it is G*R wink.gifbiggrin.gif), The lane over the bridge is superb, though I can't imagine it getting any narrower as the sign tells us...

How did the show in September go?

Keep the pics coming.

• RMweb Premium

I remember this from the previous forum, and will repeat what others have said about it being very good to see such a lovely layout on here again.

Thank you all for the comments. all very flattering and kind.

I'll try and reply to some of your comments here.

Just looked through the old thread, great little layout (even if it is G*R wink.gifbiggrin.gif), The lane over the bridge is superb, though I can't imagine it getting any narrower as the sign tells us...

How did the show in September go?

Keep the pics coming.

The Kerrow/YMR show was the layouts first outing, I was a bit dubious because it seemed a long way from home for the first show but, all went well apart from a point motor linkage failing on the Saturday afternoon. I managed to work round this Ok though and it's now been fixed and beefed up a bit.

Here's a picture taken before opening on the Sunday morning.

post-6768-0-47853200-1294242151_thumb.jpg

(Picture taken by ElDavo of Cramdin Yard fame)

I also took the layout To Cheltenham GWR groups exhibition at the end of October and that was trouble free. I even met a couple of RMWebbers there but forgot your names (sorry)

The next outing planned is not until January 2012 at Weston Super Mare but I suppose that could change if invites come in between now and then.

I'm working on a 4ft extension board for the layout and will post details about that soon.

In the meantime I've taken this opportunity to add another picture unseen on this forum.

post-6768-0-04934800-1294242511_thumb.jpg

This picture shows the new scratch built yard crane that replaces the Ratio kit one that got damaged during the photo shoot for Model rail.

OK I've taken up enough of your time and bandwidth with my drivel so I'll leave it now and post more in a day or two.

Hi Frank,

I missed your layout on the old forum so I'm really pleased to pick up on it here!

What a smashing layout and so well weathered - it all looks very realistic.

Another fan here!

John E.

PS speaking of 'cliches' - I personally don't recall seeing a 14xx and maroon autocoach before, so that makes it interesting to me!

As others have said its good to see Pen Y Bont back again. It was also one of my favourites on the old forum despite being GWR!

The yard crane looks suberb, can we have a better pic of it please?

OK.

the only close up pictures I have of the crane is of it unpainted on my work bench.

post-6768-0-31434200-1294262714_thumb.jpg

post-6768-0-00736100-1294262885_thumb.jpg

I built it using bits of brass to drawings and pictures supplied by Geoff (Sparky) of this very forum.

The only plastic bits are a couple of wheels salvaged from the old crane.

At the same time I made this loading gauge to replace the plastic Ratio one which was also damaged.

Here's the original Ratio job

post-6768-0-14991800-1294262989_thumb.jpg

And here's the replacement, I salvaged the actual arch from the ratio original.

post-6768-0-41753600-1294263082_thumb.jpg

Update again soon (hopefully)

Cracking Crane and Loading Gauge.

I may be after the design for that when I get round to building the crane for Llanfyllin

I am a slow builder so it may be some time before I start that.

I am platform building at the moment, combined with fitting point motors and electromagnets to board two.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dukedog, and welcome back :) . The crane is superb, inluding not least the wire. Must have been tricky to get it so tight.

As for the chain: I know that "fine chain" is a strandard topic on here, but this one looks just right for the purpose. Can I ask where you got it?

Thanks for the comments chaps!

Paul, Sorry to dissapoint you but, the crane doesn't actually work! I wish it did.

Terry, No problem, when you are ready just ask and I will send you any info I have. I'm sure Sparky won't mind if i pass the information on to you.

Mikkel, I'm not sure where I bought that chain, I had it in my odds and ends box for ages. It could have been Mainly Trains (ages ago) or Modellers Mecca as these have been my main suppliers for general bits.

However I believe Eileen's Emporium sell fine chain. Hope that helps.

I am writing this reply at work so no more picture updates at the moment. Hope to add some more pictures and descriptions on my days off next week.

• RMweb Gold

Hello Frank,

Great to see you posting again! That fine chin is excellent, thanks for posting the details about the possible suppliers.

Look forward to reading more in the future. :)

Regards,

Nick

Thanks again folks for the positive comments.

I'm on four days off now so time to get some more modelling done I hope!

when i planned this layout I started to think "beyond the railway fence" and decided to model a small part of the town the railway was built to serve. So,the end two feet of the scenic section depicts "Station Road" Pen Y Bont.

I built some cottages, garage, shop and pub from Wills and Slaters plastic sheets.

Here's a birds eye view then of Station road.

post-6768-0-96041500-1294595103_thumb.jpg

looks like the local constabulary are attending an incident at the "Prince of Wales" Boozer!

As for feed back from the two exhibitions I've attended with the layout.

A lot of nice comments have been passed and a lot of questions asked and answered. It was at the Kernow show where I was invited to Weston Super Mare. I have also been in the unfortunate position of having to decline a couple of shows because of weekend working.

however that will cease to be a problem after April when I get made redundant!

Just to close today's post I'll post a picture taken with my mobile phone at Cheltenham.

post-6768-0-76708300-1294596159_thumb.jpg

Next time i will post details on the planned extension to the layout (and it's progress such as it is).

More soon.

Archived