KFA's in Speedlink trains

Wummyock

With Hornby releasing KFA's this year I was wondering did they run in Speedlink/Railfreight services as solo wagons or just a few rather than in Block Trains?

Have a photo somewhere of one sandwiched between an OCA and a VGA. OK so it was a Marchwood to Eastleigh MOD service but it still counts, for info the KFA was carrying 3 MOD 20 foot containers.

HTH

Guinness between Spekeland Rd (Liverpool) and Park Royal used Speedlink services, as did cryogenic gases from Ditton. Both flows used KFAs with tank containers. The aluminum and paper traffic over the West Highland Line also used Speedlink trains

There was also a flow of resin (2 x 20' tank containers per wagon) from Duxford to Stranraer and possibly also to Caberboard (somewhere near Aberdeen or Inverness). There were various MoD flows that used KFAs, and also an AVGAS flow to Georgemas Jct.

I believe some wagons received bolsters, allowing them to be used for steel traffic.

There was also a flow of resin (2 x 20' tank containers per wagon) from Duxford to Stranraer and possibly also to Caberboard (somewhere near Aberdeen or Inverness). There were various MoD flows that used KFAs, and also an AVGAS flow to Georgemas Jct.

I believe some wagons received bolsters, allowing them to be used for steel traffic.

I think the AVGAS traffic from Purfleet came later, during the boom years of the EWS Enterprise network.

Guinness between Spekeland Rd (Liverpool) and Park Royal used Speedlink services, as did cryogenic gases from Ditton. Both flows used KFAs with tank containers. The aluminum and paper traffic over the West Highland Line also used Speedlink trains

The West Highland use for ingots and paper is what interests me, when used with the 30ft Freightliner container bases/frames? or whatever they were called, see here. http://ukrailrollingstock.fotopic.net/p24369678.html

• RMweb Premium

From other sources, the KFA that Hornby are doing is a model of the TIPH 93292-93489 number series.

Now listed as used on Freightliner and MOD traffic.

However, I don't know their date of build/introduction, or their original use, although Martyn's shot shows one on ingot traffic with Freightliner

Cheers,

Mick

A considerable number were used on the Chatham Dockyard - Stewartby contaiminated soil traffic (3 x 1/3 height plain green sheeted containers / wagon) These trains ran for approx 18 months in the very early 1990's(??) - always with a Class 56 and 5 KFA wagons (good layout length). The short length of the trains was due to severe grade on the dockyard branch from Gillingham yard. I think trains may have been combined / split in Hoo Junction yard and tripped to Chatham.

And they're still used in small numbers (4-5 at a time) on the MOD traffic from Marchwood amongside VGA's warwell's etc...

A considerable number were used on the Chatham Dockyard - Stewartby contaiminated soil traffic (3 x 1/3 height plain green sheeted containers / wagon) These trains ran for approx 18 months in the very early 1990's(??) - always with a Class 56 and 5 KFA wagons (good layout length). The short length of the trains was due to severe grade on the dockyard branch from Gillingham yard. I think trains may have been combined / split in Hoo Junction yard and tripped to Chatham.

I saw this a few times in London and it was a much longer rake, supporting the combining at Hoo theory. :)

http://ukrailwaypics.fotopic.net/p34323913.html

Ref binliners, yes - currently in use in the Edinburgh and Bristol trains, and I presume still in use on the Greater Manchester ones too, I think the London ones are solid FEA (if Freightliner operated) or FCA (if DBS operated) rakes at the moment though.

Keep in mind though that KFA is one of those "vague" TOPS codes that has been used for lots of different builds of wagon with lots of detail variations - here's some pics to dig through - the Hornby one is meant to be representative of the TIPH93xxx series.

http://ukrailrollingstock.fotopic.net/c59927.html

KFA is also used for Warflats and timber carriers as well just reinforcing that message! ;)

There are various other conversions from various types of intermodal KFA as well - notable ones (not neccesarily from the same version of KFA) :

KJA self discharge conveyor wagons:

http://ukrailrollingstock.fotopic.net/c1855422.html

Some of the JZA welded rail train vehicles (see NLU93339 here):

http://ukrailrollingstock.fotopic.net/c1879530.html

There's a funky one floating round with a big fan module on it as well for tunnel engineering work. B)

• RMweb Premium

There's a funky one floating round with a big fan module on it as well for tunnel engineering work. B)

Indeed! Now coded JZA, discussed here

I may well be doing this one......

Cheers,

Mick

And they're still used in small numbers (4-5 at a time) on the MOD traffic from Marchwood amongside VGA's warwell's etc...

there are examples of the contaminated soil traffic in the collection refered to earlier. If this wagon is what Hornby proposes then quite useful.

Paul Bartlett

Hi 40044, would be very interested in any details or photos of the PFA's/KFA's in Guinness traffic in Speedlink days.

David R

David,

BR Railfreight - Off The Beaten Track has a photo of these wagons leaving Garston at the front of a Freightliner train. Freight train and Shunting records from Edge Hill Gullet that I once had in my possession confirms that at least some of this traffic came from Spekeland Road.

David,

BR Railfreight - Off The Beaten Track has a photo of these wagons leaving Garston at the front of a Freightliner train. Freight train and Shunting records from Edge Hill Gullet that I once had in my possession confirms that at least some of this traffic came from Spekeland Road.

Cheers 40044.

One of the KFA 'coil conversions' can be seen 'end on' here, just right of centre.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/23843-steel-coils-rail-to-road/

This was in use between Ravenscraig/Mossend and Cardiff, Canton Mileage/Brickyard sidings (which were once operated by ISIS Link).

The wagons were worked to Cardiff Tidal Sidings and tripped across the city each day, by one of the Tidal Pilots.

Brian R

Archived