Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Manchester Central, CLC & GN Warehouses & Castlefield Viaducts

Ron Heggs

I tok so much (probably 100%) of this architecture for taken for granted in my youth. It was all around and black yet, seeing your exquisite modelling, I am now looking at such things anew. I haven't walked around Manchester inner city ereas for probably 50 years and in my minds eye I can still see it as it was in the 1960's. You obviously have bags of patience and love what you are doing.

Larry

Hi, Larry

Thanks for your comments - for someone who has a great deal of expertise in rolling stock special builds, and knows of the area firsthand in the distant past like myself - it is especially encouraging

My last visit was some 8 years ago - but I have my younger brother, friends and colleagues who still live in the area who are able to assist with photos of details, etc. & comments on my builds

Cheers

Ron

Hello

Using such large sheets of plasticard how do you prevent the structure from warping?

The same question applies to the bridge spans.

Excellent modelling.

Hi, distortion is unfortunately the name of the game

Any solvent used as a 'welding agent' or as an adhesive will cause distortion in the joint and in the immediate area around it. It becomes more of a problem when joints are long and continous. The best way to reduce its effect is to keep a close fit along the joint faces and to use fast brush strokes so the minimum of solvent is used and the capillary action draws it into the joint. Leave to dry and if necessary refix using the same technique just where the joint needs fixing. ... As they say less is more !!

When fixing cross bracings, etc. to the many bridge structures and the Train Shed roof and gable ends, again use little solvent and allow adjacent joints to dry off before attempting another. Also, alternate fixings when attaching items to both side of another piece, then go back to fix alternately the remaining items - i.e. try and cancel out any distortions by alternating the timing of your fixings

There are number of other tricks one can use such as placing parts in hot water then clamping/weighing them down and letting them cool off

Hope this helps a little

Cheers

Ron

Cornbrook Viaduct - Bridge #2 - Bridge Deck

.. not much progress to report today, management had me wallpapering the corridor to our bedrooms :rolleyes:

but I still managed a couple of hours -

40_281438_060000000.jpg

Deck with all straps in place, and the central row of T supports completed

40_281438_350000000.jpg

.. found that the outer sections had no arched plating, just plain supports to top deck plating

40_281438_510000000.jpg

Close-up of central T support straps, the outer T's yet to be completed

.... there endeth the first of the last shipment of bottles of Plastic Weld - its only taken 9 days to empty :rolleyes:

.. I'm going to have to stop breathing so deeply :unsure:

• Like 2

My daily dose of oooh and aaaah!!!

You do know that glue sniffing is illegal in Australia?

This is coming along a treat. Thanks for posting.

Good job I'm not in Australia :rolleyes:

Thanks again for your comments B)

STOP PRESS - Management has given me notice to quit - using the temporary support structure (glass vase)

so I have now started yet another task - constructing the castellated brick and sandstone decorative columns at the juncture of the brick viaduct and the bridge structure

post-10633-0-94601100-1301696296_thumb.jpg

Recent photo. of western bridge span with the decorative support

At this end of the bridge there is only one decorative support

The adjacent Castlefield Viaduct is too close to this bridge to allow the building of a decorative support between the two bridges/viaducts

However there are two decorative supports at the eastern end of the bridge

The bridge in the foreground is one of many on the MSJ&AR Viaduct

40_311545_030000000.jpg

Some of the card components - Printed brick card and two layers of mount card

40_311545_250000000.jpg 40_311545_470000000.jpg

Upper decorative supports

40_311546_090000000.jpg

Top Sandstone (Plastic strip) detail

40_311549_150000000.jpg

Lower Sandstone (Plastic strip) detailing added

The sloping sandstone castellation cappings (plastic strip) require adding

All the plastic detailing to be painted sandstone & weathered

40_010414_300000000.jpg

... well the card base is built now to add the brickwork, etc.

40_011303_500000002.jpg

Upper part of support fixed to base, and card support strips added

Lower support shaped (long edges are all bevel cut) and ready to fix in position

40_011303_500000003.jpg

40_011303_500000004.jpg

Completed support ready for brickwork card

40_011305_090000000.jpg

Complete printed brickwork card shaped

40_011305_100000002.jpg

Underside of printed brickwork card, showing scored fold marks

40_011305_100000001.jpg

Completed brickwork

... to complete structure sandstone detailing required above and below brickwork

A couple of pics of the bridge without the deck in position - looks OK if must say myself

40_011407_290000000.jpg

40_011408_210000000.jpg

... to be continued >>>>>

• Like 6

Looking like a ten can load will do the stress test then!!!! biggrin.gif

If this layout doesn't get into all the magazines when it is finished, it will be a real shame. This deserves to be seen by modellers everywhere.

Looking like a ten can load will do the stress test then!!!! biggrin.gif

If this layout doesn't get into all the magazines when it is finished, it will be a real shame. This deserves to be seen by modellers everywhere.

Well it's down to Masymas or Mercadona tomorrow, to get me a 12 pack or two - There has to be a degree of overload available for the stress test :rolleyes:

post-10633-0-03441800-1301695549_thumb.jpg

Just got to finish the deck beams then it's Anchors Aweigh :unsure:

• Like 2

... after busy day in the garden and workshop, building half arched framing for climbing plants from Reunion Island, I have just managed to complete the deck beams and fit the deck. The stress/loading test will now have to wait until Tuesday afternoon

40_031749_180000000.jpg

Underside of deck

40_031749_430000000.jpg

View of deck beams and their position on the span beams

40_031748_370000000.jpg

Overhead view of deck

40_031750_000000000.jpg

Side view of span and deck beams, and deck

The overhead span bracing beams are next on the build agenda ... then the smaller spans/deck etc.

... to be continued >>>>>

• Like 5

My daily dose of oooh and aaah!!!! Thanks Ron! biggrin.gif

How much of this will be seen once this bridge is placed into the model?

I am planning for the layout track level (open grid structured baseboard) to about 1 to 1.2 metres, which means that the canal water level will be 240 - 250mm below

The viaducts will be positioned from front of baseboard -

MSJ&R Viaduct approx 200mm

Cornbrook Viaduct approx 400mm

Castlefield Viaduct approx 600mm

The rear of the baseboard at this point will be almost tight to the rear of the Castlefield Viaduct

So viewing of the structures will be as open/restricted as the prototype - allbeit I can't shrink myself to 24mm to get the full access views

Cheers

Ron

Sh*t A Brick!!!!!!!!

Have been up at what is now called Manchester Central Exhibition Centre (think I preferred GMEX) for most of the weekend and couldn't help looking at various bits of architecture and thinking about your work. Get back home and log in to see how things are going and you've completed some very impressive work on all manner of stuff. Me? It's taken me a month to get around to fixing some etched nameplates...... I really am not worthy.

Looking forward to buying the book, DVD etc of your masterpiece.

Regards

Nile

Well the stress/loading test has been completed ...:drink_mini:

40_051232_570000000.jpg

13 cans in total - 4.29 kg (9.438 lbs) :unsure: .... could have put 14 on the bridge, but the last one would be sitting on the bridge support :rolleyes:

.. there was slight bending outwards at the top of the span beams, when the overhead bracing beams are fitted this will correct it

40_051233_210000000.jpg

There was a 2mm deflection in the centre of the bridge, and note the rippling of the unbraced lattice bracings - all of which has disappeared now the load has been removed B)

... successful test with no permanent damage :good_mini:

... and 13 wasn't a unlucky number :laugh_mini2:

• Like 3

Not only does it look superb, but it does the job just like the real thing too!

There is another thread on here asking for your inspirational layouts. Well, this is inspirational for me, and I now want to build something similar.

All I need to do now is improve my skills, knowledge and patience! wink.gif

Thanks Ron,

Mike

Not only does it look superb, but it does the job just like the real thing too!

There is another thread on here asking for your inspirational layouts. Well, this is inspirational for me, and I now want to build something similar.

All I need to do now is improve my skills, knowledge and patience! wink.gif

Thanks Ron,

Mike

Hi, Mike

Thanks for your comments, much appreciated

Cheers

Ron

Brilliant work Ron. This Is one of the threads I check regularly hoping for an update I can't wait to see all the bits coming together.

Hi, Steve

Hope my updates are interesting enough for you

My modelling does tend to be a bit stop/go at times in terms of generating enough progress to post meaningfully

Cheers

Ron

More oooh and aaah!!!

You could have used up the rest of the carton with a second row on top!!!!! tongue.gif

Man, if ever any of your railway stuff weighs more than 4kg you would be in real trouble anyway. This is seriously impressive.

Can't wait to see the huge overall roof when it is built. No rush, mind.