Manchester Central, CLC & GN Warehouses & Castlefield Viaducts

Ron Heggs

Still producing the glazing bars for the canopies, and the trusses for the next viaduct span beam - just a little tedious - so to break the tedium, have started the 65ft station turntable construction

Not worth a special drawing, even though it is a unique structure

The rails will be fixed using C+L chairs - Details of disc wheels, and well will follow

post-10633-0-63639600-1310494062_thumb.jpg

The basic table structure with a single handrail support in place

post-10633-0-55966100-1310494075_thumb.jpg

Underside view

Table deck and main support beams constructed from 40thou plasticard with detailing in 20thou strip

post-10633-0-72810000-1310494086_thumb.jpg

Table walkway and handrail support detail

post-10633-0-60380900-1310494099_thumb.jpg

Handrail support detail

Handrail support is 40thou x 20thou strip with 0.35mm dia drilled holes for 0.3mm dia brass wire

Angle fixings 60thou Evergreen L section strip

post-10633-0-96861100-1310494110_thumb.jpg

post-10633-0-92328500-1310494148_thumb.jpg

post-10633-0-61530300-1310494163_thumb.jpg

... to be continued >>>>>

• Like 2

Hi Ron,

you have made a great start with the turntable.

Colin

Hi, Colin

Thanks

Have to consider the disc wheels and centre pivot/spindle attachments now

Waiting for delivery of 300mm dia cutting compass to start the well construction

Cheers

Ron

The temperature here today was almost 40 deg C in the shade - so modelling has almost stopped ohmy.gif

On the viaduct build, the deck beams are spaced 28mm apart, that means over the 4.5 metre length there will be some 162 beams required yes.gif

After cutting the first one, the task ahead required a just a little thought - dry.gif

Possible solution - tack a number of blanks together along the edges which will become waste, and cut the curved outline on my bandsaw through all the stacked blanks

The blanks are 40thou x 14.5mm x 174mm plasticard

Trial run -

post-10633-0-86431100-1310934054_thumb.jpg

Stack of 5 blanks after cutting

post-10633-0-96894800-1310934035_thumb.jpg

One beam component detached from stack

The stack will be filed clean before detaching the separate components

This is looking like the way forward - next trial will be with a 10 blank stack

Only one thing to look out for - when cutting, the plastic swarf melts on the underside of the stack and causes the stack to catch on the blade opening in the bedplate, but cutting very slowly reduces this problem unsure.gif

• Like 2

You are a very patient man. To even think of cutting 162 curved beams and then shape each one individually to correct profile makes me reach for a strong coffee!

Hi, Ian

That's not the tedious bit

I have to fit the top and bottom flanges, and the vertical strengtheners to each beam web

Its going to be a long hot summer :sungum: - and a slow modelling time cray.gif

Cheers

Ron

• RMweb Gold

The temperature here today was almost 40 deg C in the shade - so modelling has almost stopped

Almost :O I trust you had a glass of something cold and fresh to keep you going Ron :D

Watching with great interest...

Almost :O I trust you had a glass of something cold and fresh to keep you going Ron :D

Watching with great interest...

Hi, Pete

Not something expected - just Agua con gas - Gaseosa - try to keep the alcohol intake down to a minimum :unsure: - use it mainly for bridge load tests :rolleyes:, and my son-in-laws' visits :drinks:

Cheers

Ron

No rivets - I can understand why! That's about $1000 worth of rivet sheets from Micro Mark under there and not to be seen when the model is completed either!

Yes, Ian - what the eye will not see, I am not going to grieve over (although it would be nice to model), but enough is enough

Still trying to decide whether to do a bit of modelling in this heat, but it saps all your energy and concentration, so may attempt some CAD drawings of the remaining buildings for the layout - pre-Victorian brick built terraced housing, which were close by the viaducts until as late as the 1970s

Cheers

Ron

Cut another twenty deck beam blanks, enough for two trials - which were both successful

It's cooler in the workshop (its under the drive), so I can carry out some modelling :sungum:

Each stack of 10 blanks produced a lot of swarf making cutting slow. Had to stop every few seconds to allow the plastic swarf to cool and be snapped off, and returned to the bandsaw to continue cutting. So cutting a larger stack would not be a good idea

post-10633-0-82073900-1311099580_thumb.jpg

That makes 25 deck beams so far - 137 to go - just need cleaning up, and the ends shaping into quadrants, then the flanges, etc. can be added

• Like 1

Check build of first deck beam -

post-10633-0-30853200-1311113186_thumb.jpg

Centre pair of longitudinal rail support beams fitted to check positioning and depth

post-10633-0-39843300-1311113209_thumb.jpg

post-10633-0-42409500-1311113223_thumb.jpg

Vertical end T braces fitted

All appears OK

Will complete the remaining 24 beams and build the deck for the first section of the viaduct

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Nine days and no updates? Surely you must be near the end of the 24 beams by now?

yes.gif

Missing the regular updates on this epic (can't you tell?).

He's probably decided to put in the hidden rivets after all :lol:

I think we are all enjoying Ron's updates but best to wait for them when they come.

the thread would be half as long if it wasnt for artizen

Hi, Everybody

Thanks for your concerns

Have been unavoidably involved with urgent family matters

Will probably be back on early next week

Cheers

Ron

Restarted deck beams build last night - a couple of pictures to show a little progress

post-10633-0-44309600-1312023131_thumb.jpg

post-10633-0-06797100-1312023153_thumb.jpg

The longitudinal beams are 27mm long, just fitting between the 40thou deck beams spaced at 28mm centres

A little warping is apparent, so will resort to boat/plane construction methods i.e. frame and spars

This will mean notching the deck beams (6mm x 20thou), and using continuous 20thou x 6mm strip for the longitudinal beams, then cutting and fixing the 3mm x 23mm long top & 3mm x 27mm long bottom flanges

It will also mean construction will be more accurate and quicker, and the assembly stronger with greatly reduced warping

Have been examining the CAD drawing of the decking, and found that the deck width varies from span to span (presumably because of the corded curvature of the viaduct)

Good job I have only cut the first 27 deck beams

The beam & deck widths, with number required -

post-10633-0-47062900-1312023166_thumb.jpg

Will cut & use metal templates, to cut and notch the multiple deck beams for each of the varying beam widths - next post will show these templates and their use

• Like 2

Guest jim s-w

Hi Ron

Are you sure plastic strip for handrails is going to be strong enough? No problem for the handrail but have you allowed for a derailed loco hitting it? Mind you, you can say that about anything.

Cheers

Jim

Hi Ron

Are you sure plastic strip for handrails is going to be strong enough? No problem for the handrail but have you allowed for a derailed loco hitting it? Mind you, you can say that about anything.

Cheers

Jim

Hi, Jim

Presume you are referring to the turntable deck handrails

The supports maybe plastic, but the handrails will be brass wire. Neither of which would stand up to a derailed loco, as you point out

They should be easily repaired if the worst happens, although there shouldn't be any slow speed mishaps

Cheers

Ron