Manchester Central, CLC & GN Warehouses & Castlefield Viaducts

Ron Heggs

Ron,

That is one stunning bit of modelling there! You're giving me ideas about to how go about "repetitive" modelling here. Just the impetus I needed!

As an aside, many years ago when I used to visit the nearby then-new Bridgewater Hall on a regular basis as a music student, I used to take the train to Deansgate and got rather used to seeing these rather interesting structures. I'm glad to see them being modelled at last! yes.gif

Thanks,

Hi, Tim

Thanks for your comments, and glad that you may have picked up some ideas from this thread

Modelling these structures is rather an unusual pastime. Certainly, layouts destined for exhibition would not attempt something on this scale of detail, as it would demand many hours not devoted to the trackwork and operational sides which are really required for exhibition layouts

This is really going to be a large urban diorama with operational trains, etc. - a real one-man crusade B):rolleyes:

Cheers

Ron

• Like 1

I have only just logged back in this morning to see your reply to The Steamy Pudding!

Yes - Gn15 is modelled on 16.5mm track which represents 15 inch minimum gauge at a scale of either 1:22.5 if you are a bit of a purist/European or 1:24 which at this size is interchangeable really. By going to 1:24 I have access to truck, car and dolls house materials at the right price so the population just swelled yesterday by three - a Dalek key chain which happens to be about the right scale, and two more Stigs in soap! There is certainly no rivet counting in Gn15 - it's all about having fun!!! yes.gif

I watch of lot of threads on different forums and yours is one of only a very few that I have directly bookmarked. I scan about eight forums daily searching for snippets of information and watching wonderful modelling happening all around the globe. The internet certainly has opened up the whole hobby of modelling to a global audience, which is why you can model in Spain and someone like me in Australia can comment daily on your wonderful work.

Keep posting the photos - we are all watching!!!

I have only just logged back in this morning to see your reply to The Steamy Pudding!

Yes - Gn15 is modelled on 16.5mm track which represents 15 inch minimum gauge at a scale of either 1:22.5 if you are a bit of a purist/European or 1:24 which at this size is interchangeable really. By going to 1:24 I have access to truck, car and dolls house materials at the right price so the population just swelled yesterday by three - a Dalek key chain which happens to be about the right scale, and two more Stigs in soap! There is certainly no rivet counting in Gn15 - it's all about having fun!!! yes.gif

I watch of lot of threads on different forums and yours is one of only a very few that I have directly bookmarked. I scan about eight forums daily searching for snippets of information and watching wonderful modelling happening all around the globe. The internet certainly has opened up the whole hobby of modelling to a global audience, which is why you can model in Spain and someone like me in Australia can comment daily on your wonderful work.

Keep posting the photos - we are all watching!!!

Hi, Ian

Thanks for all your info. It's good to see what other modellers are working on. As you say, you can learn a lot from others, who have gone through learning and experience curves, from very different perspectives

I don't visit many forums, as at this stage I'm just a bit occupied with this bridge building process, but of course later on I will looking for info. on DCC ops., signalling and operations, all of which are completely new to me

Enjoy your trip cross the water to neighbouring islands

Cheers

Ron

.. built the underbridge walling for the east side, supporting the Cornbrook Viaduct Bridge #1 and the Castlefield Viaduct Span #1 -

also built the west side support wall for the Cornbrook Viaduct Bridge #1 - needs the brickwork cladding and the semi-hexagonal parapet towers adding either end of the South side of the bridge

Everything is in its temporary position to show the juxtaposition of the assemblies, although the Cornbrook Viaduct structures will be set approx. 20mm higher, as the underlying ground levels vary across this site

40_260618_350000003.jpg

View from South East - the Salford branch off the MSJ&R line passes under the bridge spans, whilst the Altrincham line passes to the left parallel to the viaduct

The skew angle is 62o, with a turnout angle of 28o

40_260618_350000002.jpg

The pier in the foreground - is placed in its approx. location to support the S1 span beam (under construction at present)

40_260618_340000001.jpg

It's only a temporary support in the foreground for N1 span beam

40_260618_340000000.jpg

A view from the South looking under the bridge - the open cut-outs around the RSJs, in the upper support wall will be bricked up, when in its final build location on the layout

.. and the concrete support under the expansion pivot needs adding

... to be continued >>>>>

• Like 1

If I had just made those items I'd be chuffed witless with myself and dine out the rest of my modelling days on the knowledge of that. But you haven't finished yet!!!!!!!!!!!

Can I book my ticket now for a viewing in Spain.

Fabulous work as always.

If I had just made those items I'd be chuffed witless with myself and dine out the rest of my modelling days on the knowledge of that. But you haven't finished yet!!!!!!!!!!!

Can I book my ticket now for a viewing in Spain.

Fabulous work as always.

Hi, Nile

Thanks for your comments, much appreciated

Sorry, but I haven't opened the layout for public viewing as yet - It is my intention to do so when it is well underway - possibly another couple of years yet yes.gif

Cheers

Ron

So this is how you build so quick, two knives. laugh1.gifcool.gif

post-7104-0-63560500-1309121824_thumb.jpg

Hi,

Actually I use the top one for cutting, and the other for placing the plastic bits, instead of tweezers yes.gif

Don't even ask how many knives and blades I brought with me to Spain - Let's just say they will last a fair few years rolleyes.gif

Cheers

Ron

• Like 1

WAIL!!!!!!!!!!! He's only using modelling knives!...... How bloody unfair is that.... He could have said he had some custom built high accuracy mechanised chopping machine instead!!!....... Wail!!!!!

Hi, Nile

Sorry to disappoint, but not just knives unsure.gifsad.gif -

Strip cutter (sold for balsa wood)(suitably tweaked for accuracy) - cuts strips from 1mm up to 20mm wide from plasticard sheet

A self-built manual guillotine for cutting strip to length, which is up to 10mm wide - max. cutting length 120mm yes.gif

Link to construction of guillotine - Home made guillotine

post-10633-0-20025000-1309177773_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Ron

• Like 1

Ron, when you get a moment could you post a photo of your modified balsa wood strip cutter? Sounds like a useful bit of kit, I've searched on Google and found a couple of variations on the theme. Just interested to know which type you're using to such good effect.

Thanks

Arthur

Ron, when you get a moment could you post a photo of your modified balsa wood strip cutter? Sounds like a useful bit of kit, I've searched on Google and found a couple of variations on the theme. Just interested to know which type you're using to such good effect.

Thanks

Arthur

Hi, Arthur

I obtained mine from Sussex Model Centre [smc@sussex-model-centre.co.uk]

SMC-T-MA4000

Balsa Stripper

Price: £6.59 + p&p

post-10633-0-66154100-1309214442_thumb.jpg

post-10633-0-70101200-1309214489_thumb.jpg

post-10633-0-78727600-1309214549_thumb.jpg

post-10633-0-77079700-1309214594_thumb.jpg

Two things will probably need checking

The moulding of the front bearing face should be checked for flatness and filed flat if not

The backlash on the thread should be minimal - there is a screw head hidden behind the cutting blade. Hold the knurled adjusting knob tightly and tighten the screw slightly - too much and the knob will not turn for adjustment

Cheers

Ron

• Like 1

Hi,

Actually I use the top one for cutting, and the other for placing the plastic bits, instead of tweezers yes.gif

Don't even ask how many knives and blades I brought with me to Spain - Let's just say they will last a fair few years rolleyes.gif

Cheers

Ron

Hi Ron,

Great to see the progress you are making with the spans, one question though, exactly how did you get those modelling blades past customs :laugh:

Colin

Ron, thanks for that, looks like a useful tool, I'll try one myself. Do you use it to score and snap as I guess cutting all the way through leads to the strip curling?

Arthur

Hi Ron,

Great to see the progress you are making with the spans, one question though, exactly how did you get those modelling blades past customs :laugh:

Colin

Hi, Colin

They all came over in Removal Truck as household goods (as per inventory - Tools - 8 Boxes (Woodworking & Modelling)) - same with paint & solvents, etc. - so no requirement for customs clearance, etc.

Cheers

Ron

Ron, thanks for that, looks like a useful tool, I'll try one myself. Do you use it to score and snap as I guess cutting all the way through leads to the strip curling?

Arthur

Hi, Arthur

I set the blade depth to approx. half thickness of plastic to be cut, and cut one side then turnover the plastic and cut from other side. That way it relieves any stresses and the strips come out dead straight, and you don't need to snap them off which some times puts a curl/twist in strips

The blade depth can be adjusted by swinging the blade forward or backwards slightly whilst it held tight by the two screws

Cheers

Ron

.. photo of last night's build of Span Beam N2 - the shortest at 275mm long -

40_290704_570000002.jpg

.. for comparison, pictures of Span Beams N1, S1 & N2 -

40_290704_570000001.jpg

40_290704_570000000.jpg

The layout plan of the viaduct spans with dimensions - Built Spans and Piers shown in Red -

40_290704_580000003.png

40_290713_110000000.jpg

Copyright richard_t

.. and the prototype, with N1 to the left and N3 to the right

.. off we go again >>>>>

• Like 1

Well I won't be doing any modelling for the next two weeks. I have two of my daughters, son-in-law and one of my grandsons over starting tomorrow

.. that means days out, sitting in cafes and bars watching the world go by, down by the various beaches close by rolleyes.gif

... and modelling withdrawal symptoms angry.gif... very dangerous and stressful unsure.gif... must have a drink drinks.gif

Ron

- I will be back yahoo.gif

Found an archive picture in a copy of Backtrack, which gives detail from inside the viaduct, which is not apparent from all the other pictures I have

This means what was going to be Span Beam S2 (549mm long) is now split into two Span Beams S2A (370mm long) & S2B (179mm long)

The following photos were taken this evening after a couple of hours modelling -

40_061758_080000001.jpg

Span Beam S2B under construction, with second facing ready for the completion of the beam

40_061758_070000000.jpg

The start of the interlacing of the cross bracing trusses

The use of the template to build 25 trusses at a time is definitely speeding up these Span Beam builds

• Like 1

To keep my Train Shed build on course, I have started to construct the external canopies, in parallel with the Viaduct build

A few drawings, etc. of the external canopies -

The Train Shed has external canopies to all the platforms except Platform 1, and Platform 7 is a bay platform

40_061057_480000000.png

Plan showing steelwork detail - Platforms 8 & 9 to be completed

A couple of 3D CAD views -

40_051830_440000003.png

40_051830_430000000.png

40_051830_440000004.png

A view upwards over a canopy column at the glazing

Support Column detail -

40_061057_490000003.png 40_061057_490000002.png 40_061057_490000001.png

Plan ------- Side Elevation --------------------- Front Elevation

40_061057_490000004.jpg

3D rendered image

40_061125_520000000.jpg

Close-up of Upper Column detail

40_061059_110000001.jpg

Close-up of Lower Column detail

Dimensions - have added the main dimensions to the plan (below), and the support columns are 53mm high

40_061750_270000000.png

As is my usual build process, I have started with the most complex construction first - it can only get easier rolleyes.gif

.. and I haven't bothered with a trial build yahoo.gif

40_071104_440000002.jpg

The construction is in 20thou plasticard/strip, the curved section to the left is as prototype, and also shows a little flexing in places

The flex will disappear when the remainder of the roof support structure is added yes.gif

40_071104_440000001.jpg

40_071104_440000000.jpg

The canopy valances are constructed using Evergreen, left over from Train Shed - Booking Offices

40_071102_370000004.jpg

40_071102_370000003.jpg

40_071102_370000002.jpg

The channels are the roof drainage guttering, and the apex member is 40thou x 30thou handmade tee section using 10thou strip

40_071102_360000001.jpg

40_071102_360000000.jpg

The support structure for the glazing/bars has yet to be produced - next job

The cross braced trussing has also to be constructed - just 5mm deep

The gusset/brackets may be etched brass

.. and the support columns still deciding on build method

• Like 8