Manchester Central, CLC & GN Warehouses & Castlefield Viaducts

Ron Heggs

Hi Ron,

Any timescale for your return to this wonderful project yet? We devoted followers wait with baited breath!

Eward

Hi, Edward

Just about completed my part in the first stage of the Sri Lanka Project, and expect to be back in action on this layout towards the end of January

Cheers

Ron

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, Edward

Just about completed my part in the first stage of the Sri Lanka Project, and expect to be back in action on this layout towards the end of January

Cheers    Ron

New Year's resolution?

But notice that you've omitted the year!

Anyway - bestest Good Wishes to you.       :locomotive:

Morning Ron,   what an amazing structure. Trying to do the same on a curved platform .

I wonder if I could ask for some help as I have just come back into modelling ?

A friend of mine is helping to build an extension to my existing layout. On the upper layout we have built a large terminus on one of the curves. Its an oval shaped layout. As the up and down lines enter the station they fan out to give four running lines through the station and two lines which go outside of the platforms between lines 1 and 2 and 5 and 6. 
We are looking to build a curved canopy roof similar to York station which spans the two platforms and the four running lines.
With my very limited modelling skills I am not sure if this is possible.

Just wondering if anybody has any advice they can offer us?

Many thanks and best wishes,
Chris

Morning Ron,   what an amazing structure. Trying to do the same on a curved platform .

I wonder if I could ask for some help as I have just come back into modelling ?

A friend of mine is helping to build an extension to my existing layout. On the upper layout we have built a large terminus on one of the curves. Its an oval shaped layout. As the up and down lines enter the station they fan out to give four running lines through the station and two lines which go outside of the platforms between lines 1 and 2 and 5 and 6. 

We are looking to build a curved canopy roof similar to York station which spans the two platforms and the four running lines.

With my very limited modelling skills I am not sure if this is possible.

Just wondering if anybody has any advice they can offer us?

Many thanks and best wishes,

Chris

Hi, Chris

Doesn't sound too difficult. You need to set out all the important dimensions - typical roof truss span and curvature, curvatures of the two outer supporting walls/columns, height of supports above platform level, number of truss supports and spacing. Produce elevation drawings of a typical truss with supports, etc., and an overall plan

Decide on the materials to be used for modelling the structure, and produce a sample of a typical truss. Use this to modify your design and construction methods until you are happy to proceed to build the complete structure

Any problems or assistance just PM me

Cheers

Ron 

Ron I watched a program about the railways of Britain tonight. I was a little surprised to see glimpses of your bridges in Manchester! you have captured them to a T. I say that as I recognized them from your model not from the location and description on the program! I think that says alot for your modelling and of the surviving infrastructure. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Cheers

Ron

Hi Ron,

Just thought I'd enquire as to what's happening with your model? Any progress?

Rich

Hi Ron,

Just thought I'd enquire as to what's happening with your model? Any progress?

Rich

Hi, Rich

Completed the first round of models for Sri Lanka, and immediately received an additional commission for the same project. Looks like this will extend into May this year. Might be able to take a week or two out then for my layout, but not holding my breathe. At least I have been able to lay in sufficient materials to make the restart a quick one

Cheers

Ron

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi, Rich

Completed the first round of models for Sri Lanka, and immediately received an additional commission for the same project. Looks like this will extend into May this year. Might be able to take a week or two out then for my layout, but not holding my breathe. At least I have been able to lay in sufficient materials to make the restart a quick one

Cheers

Ron

Ron

Are we allowed any more updates on the Sri Lankan project, or is it still sub judice?

SS

• 2 months later...

Ron

Are we allowed any more updates on the Sri Lankan project, or is it still sub judice?

SS

Have had note from the project owner that he is going to provide photos and a write-up on the status of the layout build in the near future, which I will post on the Sri Lanka thread. My present involvement is coming to a close shortly with another shipment of model structures to Sri Lanka

Ron

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Have had note from the project owner that he is going to provide photos and a write-up on the status of the layout build in the near future, which I will post on the Sri Lanka thread. My present involvement is coming to a close shortly with another shipment of model structures to Sri Lanka

Ron

I look forward to seeing the photos of what will be some impressive modelling, if your past exploits are anything to go by.

Looking forward to further adventures on Manchester central, I badly need a fix.

Edited by Siberian Snooper

• 2 weeks later...

Ron ,

Not sure if you gave seen this or if you can access it in the BBC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p012d0t5/tuesday-documentary-engines-must-not-enter-the-potato-siding#

It features the woodhead line and the type of stock,you will be running

Woodhead line ? This ran into the east side of London Road.

The Hope Valley (Midland) line ran into Central ( I think the only exception was the 1.15 pm ex Liverpool Central to Harwich 'North Country Continental'. I once rode it into East Anglia, very enjoyable stately old Gresley carriages)

dh

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Some advise please.

I making a small shunting plank and i'm intending to use a EZ command to power it with train-tech and Dapol signals but im not sure how to use the signals....do i need to alocate the signals 1 of the 10 loco addresses and do i need to use the functions to change them?

B

Hi Ron

Any updates?

I think Ron is still doing the Sri Lankan stuff. Be nice when he gets that out of the way and get back on track as he's not able too give regular updates on the Sri Lankan stuff.

Yes, I am still tied up with the Sri Lankan project. I was hoping to get started on the Manchester Central approach trackwork which has already been drawn in Templot, but C+L Finescale has been off-line for a few weeks whilst the business is being re-organised. I understand that the on-line shop is now open, so I can make a few purchases of rail and chairs for the track build. This should not cause any problem with the continuing Sri Lankan project, as all those builds are for structures which happily can be kept separate from MC trackwork builds. Just need to engineer a 48 hour day  :scratchhead:

Cheers

Ron

• Like 7