Manchester Central, CLC & GN Warehouses & Castlefield Viaducts

Ron Heggs

I know this might be a silly question but how will you laminate the layers together.

Richard

Hi, Richard

Solder - tin & sweat - mainly posts, horizontal rails and top spearheads

Cheers

Ron

Ron

I'm sure that you have already thought of this but I tin the lamination's as you do but instead of using a soldering iron I mount them on a piece of wood (in the correct order) and with metal clips keeping them in position I use a Hot Air Paint Stripping gun to melt the solder and fuse all the layers together, this has the benefit of no burnt fingers.

Great work as usual from your self.

Pete 

Ron

I'm sure that you have already thought of this but I tin the lamination's as you do but instead of using a soldering iron I mount them on a piece of wood (in the correct order) and with metal clips keeping them in position I use a Hot Air Paint Stripping gun to melt the solder and fuse all the layers together, this has the benefit of no burnt fingers.

Great work as usual from your self.

Pete 

Hi, Pete

Thanks for your info. and comments

I take a similar line with metal clips, a small timber board and fabric gloves, but haven't used a hot air gun (that's one tool I don't have - yet)

Cheers

Ron

• Like 1

Laminated the railings for one complete side and joined three sections in line. Added vertical post, and horizontal rail detail -

post-10633-0-36515500-1400085114_thumb.jpg

post-10633-0-05036800-1400085145_thumb.jpg

... next drill sandstone parapet to allow posts to be dropped in and fixed - fixing will have to wait until railings are painted and bridge beams are completed

• Like 11

Third inner beam completed, and the fourth and last inner beam almost complete - no pictures as you have seen 'it' all before

With only one evening left for modelling before a week's walking holiday in the Pyrenees, the painting and fixing of these last two beams will have to wait until the first week in June

Ron

• 2 weeks later...

The last two beams before painting -

post-10633-0-04788700-1401822420_thumb.jpg

All the beams fixed to the bridge deck (photos with & without flash)-

post-10633-0-65367000-1401822452_thumb.jpg

The beams are kept equally spaced using simple jigs, awaiting the fixing of the beam spacers

post-10633-0-93774200-1401822480_thumb.jpg

post-10633-0-69335900-1401822514_thumb.jpg 

post-10633-0-85426800-1401822545_thumb.jpg

post-10633-0-44724300-1401822572_thumb.jpg

... and the 'hairbrush' - the beam spacers ready to be split off the backing sheet, and fixed between the arch beams

• Like 3

I'm really looking forward to see it all come together on the layout, Ron. It will be something to behold.

Regards,

Stefan

Hi, Stefan

All I can say at this juncture is - me too

I need to spend a little time back on the layout fixing the bridges/viaducts and the track bed ready for the trackwork

Cheers

Ron

• Like 1

Whilst the basic bridge structure is complete, it requires the abutments/buttresses to to provide the support and carry the deadload of the structure and working loads

post-10633-0-03573700-1401960709_thumb.png

Basic plan and elevation of abutment

The abutments will be constructed with a styrene inner core with a card outer layer, styrene detailing and printed brickwork face

post-10633-0-41680300-1401960689_thumb.jpg

The styrene elements which will be bonded to the bridge beams ends

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

I pass these structures frequently on my way to work and thanks to your research, talent, hard work, perseverance and of course this thread – many thanks – I appreciate them much more than the average commuter!

Wondrous stuff!

Kev.

• Like 1

I pass these structures frequently on my way to work and thanks to your research, talent, hard work, perseverance and of course this thread – many thanks – I appreciate them much more than the average commuter!

Wondrous stuff!

Kev.

Thanks Kev

The average commuter has never walked beneath, on and around them, or wondered why they are what they are

... another load of bricks and steel from a bygone age, maybe, but they are part of what continues to make Manchester what it is today

• Like 1

Thanks Kev

The average commuter has never walked beneath, on and around them, or wondered why they are what they are

... another load of bricks and steel from a bygone age, maybe, but they are part of what continues to make Manchester what it is today

....and not an overpaid football team in sight.

... progress on the abutments -

post-10633-0-46497400-1402004223_thumb.jpg

Cores fixed to the bridge beam ends

post-10633-0-20797100-1402004244_thumb.jpg

Card base - corners sliced ready for forming

post-10633-0-55740200-1402004269_thumb.jpg

Card base - formed with internal gussets

post-10633-0-55923900-1402004299_thumb.jpg

View of reverse

post-10633-0-54672500-1402004329_thumb.jpg

Temporary placement with sloping face to arch beam ends

post-10633-0-63892300-1402004359_thumb.jpg

Underside view

... upper level next

Edited by Ron Heggs
  • Like 17

Part way through adding all the sandstone/styrene detailing - not yet in a state to post photos

Daughter #2 arrives from the UK tonight for a weeks stay - that will put modelling on hold until next weekend

Have been checking out where the bridges/viaducts end up being located at the internal/external interface (i.e. opening into the garden). There will be three bridge/viaducts involved all of which are built in styrene which would be affected by the extreme sunlight/UV

Thinking about how to overcome this problem, and have come up with an idea which involves rather large interlocking 'cloches' made from opaque Perspex with an additional plywood lining. These would exclude the sunlight/UV rays, and provide a stormproof cover, and can easily be removed for access for maintenance and operation of the railway 

When the present bridge is completed, work on the layout will commence with the viaduct trackwork and back towards the train shed and warehouses. Interspersed with short intervals working on the MSJ&AR EMU set

Ron

• Like 5

Hi Ron,

Excellent stuff here as ever!  Re your "cloches" - I wonder if it might be a good idea to incorporate a layer of reflective / ceramic insulation between the perspex and the ply - otherwise you might create a perfect solar oven.  I am minded of one time I left my suitcase in the boot of my car under a South African sun.  When I took it out, the plastic label attached to it had completely wilted out of shape.  Would not want that happening to your bridges!  Alternatively, is it practical to make the bridges removable?

Best wishes.

Hi Ron,

Excellent stuff here as ever!  Re your "cloches" - I wonder if it might be a good idea to incorporate a layer of reflective / ceramic insulation between the perspex and the ply - otherwise you might create a perfect solar oven.  I am minded of one time I left my suitcase in the boot of my car under a South African sun.  When I took it out, the plastic label attached to it had completely wilted out of shape.  Would not want that happening to your bridges!  Alternatively, is it practical to make the bridges removable?

Best wishes.

Hi, Howard

Thanks for your comments

The immediate 3 metres out of the railway room in the garden are not subject to direct sunlight, but take your point about reflective outer cover

You may wonder why I don't construct a shed type structure over this section instead - Town Hall planning won't allow any more covered areas to be built, as we are on the limit for our plot size (actually slightly over)

The bridge sections that come within the opening between interior and exterior will be removable. It is the remaining 2.5 metres of the three viaducts carrying seven tracks that need protection, as it will not really be practical to keep moving these. Probably do more damage than the sun & rain - although this year we have had very little rain, and all the crops and vegetation are suffering. We are OK as we have an extensive watering system installed in the garden

Cheers

Ron

Hi Ron,

Well, I knew you don't do easy challenges...

I am guessing that buying an extension to the plot might not be a runner  - so I wonder when a shed stops being a structure and starts to become a retractable awning? Or even a pergola? (with Fallopia baldschuanica dropping its leaves but casting its shade... )

Very best wishes,

Hi, Howard

The area is covered by a pergola with a Passiflora and a Clerodendron growing over it - Russian Vine or 'Mile a minute' not necessary - plenty of shade and leaf fall - in typical Spanish Villa style all the surrounding walls are white, so plenty of reflected light

A test item built in unpainted styrene disintegrated within six months, so definitely need some black-out protection to the sides as well as overhead

Cheers

Ron