Manchester Central, CLC & GN Warehouses & Castlefield Viaducts

Ron Heggs

Progress on the bridge -

post-10633-0-54338400-1395954815_thumb.jpg

The lower arch beam laminations 24 off for the six beams

post-10633-0-50204400-1395954847_thumb.jpg

One of the outer beams with the laminations and the lower flange fixed

post-10633-0-91192900-1395954905_thumb.jpg

View of the lower flange with a curved section on the inner side which will be part of the vertical bolted flanges

post-10633-0-63391700-1395954935_thumb.jpg

Another view of the lower flange

post-10633-0-15855000-1395955150_thumb.jpg

The inner section vertical flanges

post-10633-0-07733700-1395955181_thumb.jpg

post-10633-0-65487000-1395955265_thumb.jpg

Some of the outer detailing

post-10633-0-60331300-1395955296_thumb.jpg

... more to follow

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Will you please stop it!

I am getting rapidly increasing feelings if inadequacy!

Being slightly more serious, your work is highly inspirational and just makes me want to try a little bit harder.

I have shown a number of non RMWebber friends what you have been up to. Every single one has been mightily impressed and several of them have immediately ordered the cutters!

It is one of those projects where I am thoroughly enjoying seeing the work progress and am full of anticipation over what will appear next.

Many thanks for taking the time and trouble to post.

Tony

• Agree 1

Will you please stop it!

I am getting rapidly increasing feelings if inadequacy!

Being slightly more serious, your work is highly inspirational and just makes me want to try a little bit harder.

I have shown a number of non RMWebber friends what you have been up to. Every single one has been mightily impressed and several of them have immediately ordered the cutters!

It is one of those projects where I am thoroughly enjoying seeing the work progress and am full of anticipation over what will appear next.

Many thanks for taking the time and trouble to post.

Tony

Hi, Tony

Glad to hear that my work has sparked a little 'get up and go'

I do switch around a little from item to item, as much to keep the whole project alive, as to keep my ongoing interest sharp and the learning process fresh

Why do I post? It is as much a record of my endeavours, as to show others that almost anything is possible with a little patience

Cheers

Ron 

• Like 5

Absolutely astounding level of detail really. For such an ultra-large model (in area and complexity) you are achieving levels of detail to rival purchased kits. Now that is a compliment! Please keep taking the time to record the how-to as well as the finished thing for us to drool over!

Absolutely astounding level of detail really. For such an ultra-large model (in area and complexity) you are achieving levels of detail to rival purchased kits. Now that is a compliment! Please keep taking the time to record the how-to as well as the finished thing for us to drool over!

Hi, Ian

With this bridge being the last one to be built for the layout within the railway room, I thought that some extra detailing would be a useful test of my ability, even though as on previous bridge detailing, most of it will not be seen once it is in place on the layout

Might even show the fixing nuts/bolts on the flanges of the cast iron beam sections, all of which are within the bridge structure. Just to see if it can be done

Cheers

Ron

• RMweb Premium

Testing your own ability is a superb approach to model railways and one that I follow for myself as far as possible.

If a few more people adopted that sort of approach, the hobby would be much more interesting for it.

It is a total antidote to the "I can't have the layout/model I want because nobody makes it for me" brigade!

To me, a project has to be a challenge to my skills and abilities otherwise I quickly become bored with it. Perhaps that is why I have so many layouts on the go at the same time (currently involved with 4 ongoing new ones plus a major restoration) so I can flip from one to the other and keep things fresh, as each one has different challenges to overcome.

I truly believe that these craft type cutters will revolutionise modelling, far more that laser cutting and 3D printing in the short term. They are affordable now and any models built using them can be done by the modeller at home, rather than having to send stuff away to a third party. Any new technology needs a bit of a trail blazer to show what can be done and to open the doors to others. The work that you and Mike Trice and JCL are doing on RMWeb seems to be doing just that.

Tony 

Testing your own ability is a superb approach to model railways and one that I follow for myself as far as possible.

If a few more people adopted that sort of approach, the hobby would be much more interesting for it.

It is a total antidote to the "I can't have the layout/model I want because nobody makes it for me" brigade!

Tony 

I don't want to derail this amazing build thread but why can't everyone enjoy the hobby in their own way without holier than thou lectures?  The hobby would be far more enjoyable if people would stop berating others on how best to approach it.

• RMweb Premium

I don't want to derail this amazing build thread but why can't everyone enjoy the hobby in their own way without holier than thou lectures?  The hobby would be far more enjoyable if people would stop berating others on how best to approach it.

Many apologies if my comments caused offence.

I was just so pleased to see somebody putting forward the same sort of ideas that I follow that I felt the need to add a few words of support.

I had also just been reading another thread, where people were moaning about manufacturers not producing exactly what they want, which is about as far removed from the approach shown here as it is possible to get! My comments were aimed at those types of people, not the ones who enjoy their hobby.

Of course each and every person should follow the hobby in whatever way they choose.

Tony

Thanks

It's a long way off a masterpiece

Cheers

Ron

Haha, at last I got an opportunity to use the "Disagree" button on this thread! Very modest you are Ron, and we wouldn't have you any other way, but your work is absolutely amazing, and so say all of us if you don't mind :D

Phil

The detail on the right hand end of the beam completed -

post-10633-0-21140000-1396125222_thumb.jpg

.... and the reverse of the left hand side

post-10633-0-71747600-1396125186_thumb.jpg

.... bolt heads to follow (when the hex rod is received)

next the first of the four inside beams

• Like 8

Pictures of the two dual character theatre indicators at various stages of build -

post-10633-0-89112200-1396293711_thumb.jpg

Two SMD LED array blocks glued side by side 

post-10633-0-11730300-1396293732_thumb.jpg

Two Display Masks glued together

post-10633-0-78119800-1396293763_thumb.jpg

The masks fixed over the LED array blocks, and with a 10thou black styrene housing

post-10633-0-50385200-1396293793_thumb.jpg

The diffusion and coloured gels fitted, and the bottom skirt in place

post-10633-0-92357900-1396293815_thumb.jpg

View showing the curved hood

post-10633-0-71628200-1396293834_thumb.jpg

View showing the curved hood (still requires a little adhesive)

.... now to build the alpha character diode matrices for the display of letters D, M & U in the left hand indicator and F & S in the right hand indicator

If all works OK, then the two dual indicators will mounted on the East Gantry of the CLC Deansgate Bridge

PS. Forgot to mention that the dimensions are 16mm wide x 9mm high x 5mm deep (hood 8mm deep) 

Edited by Ron Heggs
  • Like 3

Absolutely stunning model making at it's upmost best.

Station canopies just don't get better than this.

Most impressive.

And to think I once turned down a commission for St Pancras because of the complexity of the train shed roof !

Allan.

Absolutely stunning model making at it's upmost best.

Station canopies just don't get better than this.

Most impressive.

And to think I once turned down a commission for St Pancras because of the complexity of the train shed roof !

Allan.

Hi, Allan

Thanks for your much appreciated comments

The challenge of the complex is what really drives my modelling - what else would make me consider modelling this city centre railway terminal and its environs, and still be working on it after 10 years without a train movement in sight

It's great creative fun

Cheers

Ron

• Like 4

The gantry signal wiring is now routed

The controllers, diode matrices and terminal blocks all need mounting on boards below the baseboard, and the bridge positioned and fixed

Pictures when bridge fixed - probably Sunday

• Like 1

The MSJ&AR Viaduct Bridge build continues - although waiting on a small styrene delivery to enable completion of the build (hex rod for the bolt heads and nuts, etc.)

post-10633-0-02070800-1396638026_thumb.jpg

No, they are not prescription pills, or a super bacteria - they are the bridge beam spacers, or at least the vertical component of same

The finished spacers are 18.5mm long, and 1mm thick, lozenge shaped 2mm high at the ends, and 3mm high at the midpoint. They are cruciform in cross-section with 1mm x 1mm strips 18.5mm long fixed centrally along both sides

post-10633-0-78735800-1396638058_thumb.jpg

The first row of spacers fixed

post-10633-0-19081700-1396638110_thumb.jpg

Closer view of one of the spacers

post-10633-0-91135100-1396638138_thumb.jpg

One of the inner beams undergoing detailing

The six beams are 60thou (1.5mm) thick with 18.5mm spacers - so the overall bridge width is 100mm centre to centre of outer beams

Due the closeness of the beams, each beam will be painted before being attached to the adjacent beam

• Like 4

Making a little more progress, whilst waiting for two deliveries of styrene -

post-10633-0-65383900-1397052905_thumb.jpg

The first outer beam fixed to the bridge deck - The deck is 60thou styrene scored at 26mm intervals to represent the plating joints - The longitudinal 5.5mm x 20thou strips are the top flanges of the beams at 20mm centres

post-10633-0-43920200-1397052928_thumb.jpg

post-10633-0-90667000-1397052950_thumb.jpg

Temporary placement 

post-10633-0-67712200-1397052975_thumb.jpg

One of the unfinished inner beams placed on the deck/top flange to show the relative positioning of the beams

post-10633-0-28572500-1397052996_thumb.jpg

Build status (awaiting styrene delivery) -

One outer beam awaiting bolt heads and nuts details

Four inner beams awaiting strip details

One outer beam, as cut, awaiting strip details

.... also waiting on delivery of rail and chairs from C+L, to make some progress on trackwork

Post can take about two weeks from the UK

• Like 14

The nuts and bolt heads are being cut from the 1mm hex rod -

post-10633-0-44896300-1397211316_thumb.jpg

The first 30 of 1200  :O - rivet counters not required

post-10633-0-76196400-1397211339_thumb.jpg

Six fitted to one side of the longest flanged section

post-10633-0-88006700-1397211360_thumb.jpg

Eight fitted to one side of the arch beam flanges and the cast iron decorative gusset flanges

post-10633-0-62512700-1397211381_thumb.jpg

Four fitted to one side of the arch beam flanges

... a few more to be fitted the opposite sides of the flanges, and the repeated for the remaining half of the beam

The four internal beams have flanges on both sides - that's a total of 800 bolt heads/nuts 

The top flanges to all the beams under the deck also have bolt heads - 40 per side of each beam (400) (outer beams have only one side to do the other side is covered by the sandstone parapet coping)

... no comments about me being a bigger nut  :scratchhead: :no:

• Like 3

The four internal beams have flanges on both sides - that's a total of 800 bolt heads/nuts 

I think people would be prepared to forgive you Ron, if you decided to omit the nuts and bolt from the inner beams.  But only because it is NOT a small layout you are tackling...

Great stuff as ever.

Best wishes,