TTA Tankers - Bachmann model era,s

Hugh Flynn

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

What sort of period is correct for the black Shell-BP ones?

Hi Butler henderson

The black Shell-BP tanks are fine form 1963 onwards, some were still in this livery in the 80s despite Shell and BP going their own ways with distribution. The early wagons were not TTAs, as they were vacuum braked. In this state they are suitable to be steam hauled. There was a service using them with 9Fs on the front that went to Leeds, I cannot remember where from. Later they were rebuilt with air brakes and became TTAs. Many were built with just air brakes from 1966.

Hi Butler henderson

The black Shell-BP tanks are fine form 1963 onwards, some were still in this livery in the 80s despite Shell and BP going their own ways with distribution. The early wagons were not TTAs, as they were vacuum braked. In this state they are suitable to be steam hauled. There was a service using them with 9Fs on the front that went to Leeds, I cannot remember where from. Later they were rebuilt with air brakes and became TTAs. Many were built with just air brakes from 1966.

The one to Leeds came from somewhere in the Blackpool/Poulton/Heysham area- was it Burn Naze? I've also seen somewhere a photo of a working from Thameshaven with a 9f on these, I'm sure.

The vac-fitted ones were fitted with a modified form of brake, known as the AFI (Accelerated Freight Inshot?)- under TOPS, they became TTF.

The one to Leeds came from somewhere in the Blackpool/Poulton/Heysham area- was it Burn Naze? I've also seen somewhere a photo of a working from Thameshaven with a 9f on these, I'm sure.

The vac-fitted ones were fitted with a modified form of brake, known as the AFI (Accelerated Freight Inshot?)- under TOPS, they became TTF.

Heysham was where the oil was imported and the train originated. They went via Morecambe Prom. (reverse - hence the brake vans on both ends) then to Carnforth, over the Furness & Midland Joint, then via Clapham Junction (t'other one), Settle Junction, Hellifield and Skipton, then down the Aire Valley to Leeds, From memory they terminated in the Neville Hill area. Published photos show them with a Derby Sulzer Type 2 and the 9F double heading.

Archived