Ureka - finished at last

At long last I have finished my compound locomotive. Built to 4mm scale and EM gauge, it is a model of the first Smith/Johnson compound built for the Midland Railway, coming out of Derby works in December 1901. It had the Johnson features like the boiler fittings, with a bogie tender and numbered 2631. Another four followed (2632 to 2635) with slightly different appearance before Johnson retired in 1903.

Deeley followed on and built a further 29 compounds up to 1907 and numbered 1000 to 1028.

In 1907 the locomotive stock of the Midland was renumbered, and the five original compounds became 1000 yo 1004, the Deeley locos 1005 to 1034.

The original Johnson engines were extensively rebuilt in 1913/14, losing the bogie tenders and being given boiler fittings to match up with the Deeley engines. My loco 2631/1000 can be still seen in the flesh in the York Railway Museum.

The first view is the loco having received the final touches. Just needs coaling up and a crew, oh! and the driving wheel centres painting black.post-6110-0-08962100-1294347626_thumb.jpg

The second pic is of it running light through Canal Road station.post-6110-0-00585000-1294347751_thumb.jpg

Finally in revenue service, on the Bradford (Market Street) to Newcastle train.post-6110-0-69433100-1294347827_thumb.jpg It was attached at Skipton and traversed Embsay West Junction before Haw Bank Tunnel (No.2 - 214 yards). In this pic it is getting up speed on the easy stretch to Grassington before the climb to the head of Wharfedale at Cam Head tunnel (2 miles 300 yards)

The smmit is near the northern end of the tunnel. Then follows the run downhill to Leyburn Junction, where the line merges with the NER proper. At Northallerton, the Midland engine comes off the train, a NER locomotive taking the train to Newcastle.

Of course, anyone who knows the Yorkshire Dales or the Midland Railway will realise the whole thing is a lot of tosh, but it is after all, my train set.

Very nice indeed. Super model. I've made one of these myself, based on the Hornby chassis & tender, (yes, I know... ;) ) as I found a photo of one of the originals before rebuilding, running with a Deeley 6 wheel tender. I'll see if I can find a photograph, as the model itself is in need of some 'fettling' after a small person decided to pick it up and didn't hold on to it...

Mark

Hi Dennis, the only bits bought are the buffers, wheels, dome and chimney which I had to modify. Everything else I bashed together. The driving wheels are Romford. I did intend to use Gibson, and actually bought a set but have not got around to painting them, perhaps they will never be used now.

I might add, the painting and lining broke my heart and almost took as long as building the thing.

Pete and James, I put a few piccies on the old rmwebb, since then have had a bit of a disaster with my 'puter which has managed to destroy a lot of files. However, will try and take some more this week.

The layout is dual gauge. The tracks at the front are to '00' and used by my son Chris before he moved away. The trakwork at the rear is EM gauge and is mine(!!). Supposed to be set in early summer 1908.

Hello James and Pete. Here are a few pics that were in the camera when the 'puter went on the blink.

First is Haw Bank No2 tunnel. No1 is out of sight to the left. The canal tunnel is supposed to be the Springs Canal, a branch of the Leeds-Liverpool. The two lines in front of the camera are '00'.

post-6110-0-78796100-1294430418_thumb.jpg

The signal box is Haw Bank Crossing Box.

The other end with '00' tracks again. The EM goes off-stage through the bridge to the left.post-6110-0-94325800-1294430711_thumb.jpg

Finally, a Kirtley goods in the lay by. Loco built from a very old Jidenco kit and heavily modified, painted in the experimental plain black livery, which would be adopted by the Midland for it's goods locos in 1911.

post-6110-0-81644600-1294430910_thumb.jpg

'Metropolitan' the only pics I have of the compound are in it's unpeinted state.

Fabulously built and decorated Loco :D , and a wonderful layout too.

For those who want a quick fix of a few pre painted shots of this Compound and of the layout, on the old forum. MrKirtley800 started this thread Modelling the pre Group Scene. Its well worth a look through again.

Great to see you back on the Forum,

Cheers

Boogy

Thanks for your nice comments fellas.

I haven't been able to access the internet for about 10 days. Decided to change server and got into a whole load of trouble. Wish I had never bothered. A classic case of trying to fix something when it wasn't broken.

Derek

• 2 weeks later...

Archived