New batch of Hymeks

Summer_Saturday

A new batch of Heljan Hymeks has arrived with the Class 17s and Colas 47s. The very popular two tone green with SYP is available (these sold out quite quickly the first time round and were fetching good prices on eBay). I see Heljan have now painted the bufferbeam green and red, a change to the unprototypical black of the first batch.

http://railsofsheffield.com/class-35-hymek-br-green-with-small-yellow-panels-locomotive-d7100-3509-JJJA12555.aspx

A new batch of Heljan Hymeks has arrived with the Class 17s and Colas 47s. The very popular two tone green with SYP is available (these sold out quite quickly the first time round and were fetching good prices on eBay). I see Heljan have now painted the bufferbeam green and red, a change to the unprototypical black of the first batch.

http://railsofsheffield.com/class-35-hymek-br-green-with-small-yellow-panels-locomotive-d7100-3509-JJJA12555.aspx

Yep

Mine is sitting in the post office waiting for me to collect it tomorrow as they tried to deliver it about 5 mins after I went out this morning.

Hope its better than the 17, tried 2 of those in a shop today and both died in under 5 yards of running.

I have D7100 to go with my D7017 from the first batch. Buffer beam colour is a big improvement . Very nice runner on dc but not chipped yet - a sound chip is required I think.

Chris

I can highly recommend the Howes Hymek - have fitted a bass reflex speaker to it and it's awesome.

Am a bit peeved that Heljan have 'weathered' the blue small yp though - their weathering is just horrid IMHO!

Agree that the painted buffer beam is a big improvement, but don't forget to paint the buffer shanks thuugh!!!

Hi All,

Did 7017 carry white numerals in its final months - usual appeal for a photo if possible ?? I was only around to catch the last 8-9 of these wonderful engines and my Kodak Instamatic 126 (remember them) never got the chance (simply couldn't afford the film and had to be VERY choosey about subject) - have pictures of 7001 / 7022 / 7026 / 7028 but not 7017.

Many thanks

Hi All,

Did 7017 carry white numerals in its final months - usual appeal for a photo if possible ?? I was only around to catch the last 8-9 of these wonderful engines and my Kodak Instamatic 126 (remember them) never got the chance (simply couldn't afford the film and had to be VERY choosey about subject) - have pictures of 7001 / 7022 / 7026 / 7028 but not 7017.

Many thanks

Yes it did, thought it was at both ends tho, there is a pic in a book somewhere of it........ill look 4 it. owen

FOUND IT Page 84 of 'Blue diesel days' by paul shannon, nice pic, no's at one end so model correct, i was wrong (again)

I can highly recommend the Howes Hymek - have fitted a bass reflex speaker to it and it's awesome.

Am a bit peeved that Heljan have 'weathered' the blue small yp though - their weathering is just horrid IMHO!

Agree that the painted buffer beam is a big improvement, but don't forget to paint the buffer shanks thuugh!!!

Hi Ajax

I have a sound chip on order from Howes for my Hymek

Got any tips on the best way to install the speaker.

Thanks

Paul

Yes it did, thought it was at both ends tho, there is a pic in a book somewhere of it........ill look 4 it. owen

FOUND IT Page 84 of 'Blue diesel days' by paul shannon, nice pic, no's at one end so model correct, i was wrong (again)

I attatch a pretty grotty shot I took of 7017 in July 74 at Oxford. I had just invested in a new camera (Practica LTL) and obviously wasn't quite used to it. As far as I'm aware it only carried the number at one end so yes the Heljan model is correct in this repect.

That's no grotty shot - many thanks indeed - cracking gallery - lots and lots of wonderful stuff - it's a good job guys like yourself were prepared to photograph what were probably fairly mundane things between 1968-1973 - Oh it's another green 31 !!

Thanks again

I attatch a pretty grotty shot I took of 7017 in July 74 at Oxford. I had just invested in a new camera (Practica LTL) and obviously wasn't quite used to it. As far as I'm aware it only carried the number at one end so yes the Heljan model is correct in this repect.

BV... i thought you must have a pic of 7017 somewhere as you have so many good hymek pics. You did not let me down :icon_clap:

Does this batch of Hymeks have the improved wheels we've seen on the Clayton and Kestrel?

Instead of the bronze coloured sintered wheels that seemed to get dirty quickly, Heljan has started using what looks like nickel plated wheel sets...

Hi Pete,

Yes! Well, my D7100 does anyway and it runs superbly - if anything even better than before.

Go get one if you want one!............

Cheers,

John E.

Thanks, I already have three older ones, so I shall not go too crazy purchasing more lest I get in trouble with SWMBO.

It's be interesting to ask Howes if the wheel sets are available as parts and at what cost...

Or check on here if anyone is gauge converting this new release. The old wheels would be surplus though unfortunately i've already done Hymeks from the old batches.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

The green SYP versions of this new batch seem to have sold very quickly. I was fortunate to pick one up for 10800 in The Model Shop, Exeter today. He thought he had two left, and I had decided to get the other one, only for him to find that his stock-keeping records weren't what he thought they were, and that 10800 actually had the last one!! ;)

• RMweb Gold

Having checked a few other shop websites around the country, the GSYP ones seem to be completely sold out now....

I know of at least two potential orders for them, should any be found lurking... (and thanks for the offer, Rod, notwithstanding 'Compulsive Shopper Syndrome', you may well find yourself operating your own Hymek on Callow Lane at a show one of these days! :D )

Archived